Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your least favorite album from giants?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Pick the worst!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [20.19%]
12 [11.54%]
26 [25.00%]
9 [8.65%]
3 [2.88%]
17 [16.35%]
11 [10.58%]
5 [4.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:27
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Think I'll nominate Love Beach.

ELP certainly was a giant, and they fell FAR from their grace when they were forced to cut that.

But the cover... there is no way they didn't agree to that. Confused Good Lord.

the fact the Carl Palmer was still smokin hot at least makes the cover easier on the eyes... LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:29
^ it may be interesting to note that the vox PApuli rated AMLOR barely above 3 stars, making it the lowest-ranking album in the PF studio discography. I am somewhat interested in finding out why. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:34
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

^ it may be interesting to note that the vox PApuli rated AMLOR barely above 3 stars, making it the lowest-ranking album in the PF studio discography. I am somewhat interested in finding out why. 

the short answer....many people must , like me, think it SUCKS!!! LOL

more power to those that like it. Smile

I always did want to review it, but it would have meant buying it (no problem since for old times sake I'd like to throw it this time from the top of the next tall building I'm working on) but it would mean listening to it again.

then again... I am Micky... with super powers that I have.. I suppose I could review it based on fond memories of my powerful reaction to it.. even though it has been.. now. what..almost 30 years ago. Jesus...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:51
I love AMLOR. Especially when played live. Wink
The Final Cut is too much of Waters' rantings. Not one good melody in there imo.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I always did want to review it, but it would have meant buying it (no problem since for old times sake I'd like to throw it this time from the top of the next tall building I'm working on) but it would mean listening to it again.

then again... I am Micky... with super powers that I have.. I suppose I could review it based on fond memories of my powerful reaction to it.. even though it has been.. now. what..almost 30 years ago. Jesus...

Memories of the times you once had, silly little memories of the way you were. LOLLOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 17:56

who the hell put Camel in the Giants???  LOL

Someone with taste.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:03
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

who the hell put Camel in the Giants???  LOL

Someone with taste.

LOL ... ahhh.. yeah... that must be it,,, sure. Wink

my guess would be one whose fanboyism has overridden any sense of objective thought and has zero comprehension of just what the notion of a  musical giant is...  confusing it with being a PA's cult favorite.LOL

Edited by micky - January 08 2015 at 18:04
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:06
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Memories of the times you once had, silly little memories of the way you were. LOLLOL

Clap

I'll tell ya brother.. when that day comes when Micky is drooling and pissing upon himself in some rest home... it will at least be done with a smile on my face remembering the wild great days of youth! LOL
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:11
Well, I'll give ya a hint.....I could have cried when I first saw this crap. 

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:13
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Well, I'll give ya a hint.....I could have cried when I first saw this crap. 

LOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:20
A lot of crap here.

Yes just over Camel and Genesis.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 18:33

which brings us to the sh*t stain on the world of music that AMLoR was.  It tried to be 'Floyd' more to prove TO Roger that Floyd could live without him. 
What should have Floyd done instead - trying to sound like Luciano Pavarotti? The Foggy Mountain Boys? The Boswell Sisters? 

SUCK SO BADLY I threw the godamned CD out of the car window after the first listen right into the middle of traffic on I-95. 
You got lucky this vigilanta wasn't around, or she might have lobbed an LP version of a Richard Wagner's opera into your car:  

Edited by Argonaught - January 08 2015 at 20:35
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walton Street Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 19:03

....  LOL which brings us to the sh*t stain on the world of music that AMLoR was.  It tried to be 'Floyd' more to prove TO Roger that Floyd could live without him. It was the final and most public act in that bitter custody fight,  and unlike The Final Cut .. it did pretend to be what it was not.  Cool MTV videos aimed to cash in a reputation that was earned a decade earlier, marketed to teens too young to catch the group in their early 70's heyday. That is what it tried to do .. and what it did.. was SUCK SO BADLY I threw the godamned CD out of the car window after the first listen right into the middle of traffic on I-95.

hah....LOL

I felt sick listening to it.  It was like how Seth Brundle described the steak that they put through the transporter in The Fly. It looks like steak, it was technically steak, but the flavour was wrong .. blah. A poor imitation.
It proved to me that although he other musicians of PF are incredibly proficient, Waters was the soul of the band.

Oddly enough though - somehow they did get it back with the Division Bell.... as if they solved the puzzle somehow.

as far as Final Cut goes ... i don't care if it was a One Direction/Celine Dion collaboration  .. i love every second of it.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 20:28
i think The Final Cut is what i'll go for from all the stuff here that i heard already.
Progrockdude
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 20:29
As Tull is my favorite, Under Wraps was astoundingly annoying. Next, I'd say the Final Cut. As for the rest of the albums on the list, I stopped caring about the bands (like Yes and Genesis) before the albums you listed, as they had already headed for banality.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 00:34
Beat has 6 votes and The Single Factor has a single vote?ConfusedUnhappy
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 05:00
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

As Tull is my favorite, Under Wraps was astoundingly annoying. Next, I'd say the Final Cut. As for the rest of the albums on the list, I stopped caring about the bands (like Yes and Genesis) before the albums you listed, as they had already headed for banality.

I think you hit it squarely on the head .. most of the albums, listed in this poll, simply failed to produce an emotional response in me :)

But The Final Cut irritates me on several levels. #1: Too much poetry and almost no music. When I want poetry, I open a Fripp-damned poetry book. #2. Waters' social and political observations had evolved into tunnel vision, and his convictions - into fixations. I'll stop here, so as not to offend anyone. 

And it does stand out, because I rate all post-Barrett PF albums before The Wall and after The Final Cut at least 3.5 stars.  

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 05:10
With the possible exception of Rush, the other albums have their merits but I went with Yes - that really was the album that broke our hearts and that's when I stopped buying Yes albums as they were released.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 05:13

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I think you hit it squarely on the head .. most of the albums, listed in this poll, simply failed to produce an emotional response in me :)

But The Final Cut irritates me on several levels. #1: Too much poetry and almost no music. When I want poetry, I open a Fripp-damned poetry book. #2. Waters' social and political observations had evolved into tunnel vision, and his convictions - into fixations. I'll stop here, so as not to offend anyone. 

And it does stand out, because I rate all post-Barrett PF albums before The Wall and after The Final Cut at least 3.5 stars.  

I think I can understand why TFC irritates you, as what you mention are effectively its defects, but if you go back to 1983 and look at it not as a Pink Floyd album but just for its own qualities (or defects), I think it's not that bad. It's surely better than Pros and Cons and of most of the rubbish released the same year. Two Suns in the Sunset is a great song and there's still some Gimour. The passage from scream to sax in The Gunner's Dream is excellent and it's not the only good thing. I have to add that this album did something to me at subliminal level. I have listened to it for the first time before going to sleep and I remember dreaming about sentences listened only once.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 08:43
Of that list Yes-Big Gen but Love Beach- ELP  is worse than all of those.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>