Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your least favorite album from giants?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Pick the worst!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [20.19%]
12 [11.54%]
26 [25.00%]
9 [8.65%]
3 [2.88%]
17 [16.35%]
11 [10.58%]
5 [4.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogmoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 03:06
No you're not the only one. I also think it's plain brilliant. This is Rogers soul laid bare. His most powerful lyrics ever. And Michael Kamen's orchestration is spot on. A dark album I agree, but plenty food for thought on it.
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 04:49
Under Wraps from the list.
The Single Factor is Camel's weakest album indeed, but I don't think it's a bad album.

In the Hot Seat by ELP comes to mind
last album of Yes (what a disappointment that was for me)
Invisible Touch is much worse than Abacab
Beat by KC is not bad at all

The Wedge by Pallas, un-listenable for me

Edited by Cristi - March 29 2015 at 04:49
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublime220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 12:59
I loved Test For Echo and Abacab so that's off the list. I always thought that Stationary Traveller was much worse than Single Factor. Under Wraps was pretty bad but it wasn't terrible. The Yes and Crimso albums are fine. That leaves TFC which I voted for just because of the perfection of their past 11 albums.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
ProgCandles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgCandles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 13:55
Genesis – Abacab

PS. Other:
Yes - 90125

Edited by ProgCandles - March 29 2015 at 13:59
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 14:07
Jethro Tull - Under Wraps
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 21:59
I don't know all the albums from this list, but it seems to me that this shows just how great Pink Floyd is/was. I would actually consider The Final Cut a good album... even if it's not even close te being among my favourites from them. At least Big Generator and Abacab are indeed some really weak albums, the other ones I don't know, but for their reputation, I guess I wouldn't like Under Wraps much more, Beat I believe might be somewhat good though (it's King Crimson, after all), and Test for Echo I have no idea.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 08:08
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

No vote. I am not familiar with most of these albums.
I have no problems with The Final Cut. Abacab is mediocre, but it has a few good songs.
Jethro Tull's Warchild and Rush's Roll the Bones are two albums that I would give a one star rating. In the case of Rush, it was reason enough for me to avoid their albums until Snakes and Arrows.
I just love Warchild - some great tunes. But we are all diffrent, and that not a bad thing.  

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Volcanic-lighnings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volcanic-lighnings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2015 at 16:05
Yes – Big Generator
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 03:37
Abacab is a very good album - better than the three subsequent Genesis albums anyway. The Final Cut is a great album - better than some of Floyd's earlier albums (Ummagumma for instance) and better than the Division Bell. Test for Echo is a strong album. Rush have never released a bad album. Camel have produced a few great albums but compared to the other bans on this list they are quite mediocre. The Single Factor is no more mediocre than many of their other albums. However, Under Wraps is a real stinker with no redeeming features. It is tuneless, bland, horribly produced and tedious.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 12:11
Out of these I've heard, The Final Cut. I actually really like Test for Echo, never understood the hate. 
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghost_of_morphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2015 at 23:46
Left out Love Beach???
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublime220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 00:06
^It would've skewed the results. At least we have a close race right now.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 21:06
Floyd's The Endless River.
Yes' Heaven and Earth.
Moody Blues' Octave.
Genesis' Calling All Stations.
Tull's Under Wraps.
ELP's In The Hot Seat.
Rush's Test For Echo.
se
All wretchedly bad. Crimson's Beat is their weakest, but miles ahead compared to the worst of the other former giants. I agree that Camel should not be included.

I think a more interesting idea would be to ask which of these former supergroups has the biggest drop-off in quality comparing their best to their worst (and which personnel are to blame!)

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 21:39
You think Heaven and Earth is worse than Open Your Eyes? I think not.^^^^
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2015 at 22:27
^Open Your Eyes starts off with what I think is a most underrated "New State of Mind", an enjoyable title track, and a serviceable "Universal Garden" before going off the rails.

Heaven and Earth has only Subway Walls, which overstays its welcome after the pretty much unmitigated dreck preceding it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 01:28
^I like Heaven and Earth More than Open Your Eyes and Test For Echo is a long way from being Rush worst album which for me would be Presto or Hold You Fire ( However Rush are one of the most consistent bands in rock/prog history , not many real down moments). I agree with the ELP and Genesis ones though. A couple of truly unlistenable albums if ever there were ( and the joke was they were supposed to be commercial radio friendly stuff).
ELP's Love Beach has been the source of some good discussion recently. For me it has about 60% decent material and the rest could be binned ( A Taste Of My Love , Canario and the last half of Memoirs) . It could have been a decent commercial radio friendly prog album in the same vein as Duke but didn't quite make it.

Biggest drop off in quality. Many would say ELP yet many will say ELP were not that good in the first place. However to go from Brain Salad Surgery (1973) to Love Beach ( 1978) is a bit sad to say the least so I guess ELP are the ones to win this 'award' and perhaps dear Greg and his mate Pete should be lead to the gallows!
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 02:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP's Love Beach has been the source of some good discussion recently. For me it has about 60% decent material and the rest could be binned ( A Taste Of My Love , Canario and the last half of Memoirs) . It could have been a decent commercial radio friendly prog album in the same vein as Duke but didn't quite make it.

I agree about Love Beach being a precipitous drop from Brain Salad Surgery, but actually like the three tracks you singled out for culling. The March at the end of Memoirs is good and would have been great if the sound had been beefed up IMHO, the undercooked production being one of the main problems with Love Beach. I would list the other problems but don't have all day. Canario is an excellent track and Taste of My Love should be retained for its (unintentional) comedy value. All I Want is You is the one I 'd definitely drop, a thoroughly undistinguished slice of AOR. Remember my heart slumping when I saw them do this on Top of the Pops.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 15:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^I like Heaven and Earth More than Open Your Eyes and Test For Echo is a long way from being Rush worst album which for me would be Presto or Hold You Fire ( However Rush are one of the most consistent bands in rock/prog history , not many real down moments). I agree with the ELP and Genesis ones though. A couple of truly unlistenable albums if ever there were ( and the joke was they were supposed to be commercial radio friendly stuff).

Biggest drop off in quality. Many would say ELP yet many will say ELP were not that good in the first place. However to go from Brain Salad Surgery (1973) to Love Beach ( 1978) is a bit sad to say the least so I guess ELP are the ones to win this 'award' and perhaps dear Greg and his mate Pete should be lead to the gallows!

We'll agree to disagree about Yes' and Rush's worst respective efforts, agreeing that all mentioned are sub-par.

Love Beach continues to garner interest in the same way an auto pile-up does. It was never going to be good, but there was promise of less-than-awful in a couple of places. Perhaps "Memoirs" could've amounted to something with another co-writer.

I agree that ELP takes the cake on plummeting quality, although Yes from Fly From Here to Heaven and Earth is close, as are the Moodies from Seventh Sojourn to Octave.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 19:23
Big Generator by far.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 19:47
I'm gonna go ahead and say Nursery Cryme. 

Besides the opener and closer, the album is a dud. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>