Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your least favorite album from giants?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Poll Question: Pick the worst!!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [20.19%]
12 [11.54%]
26 [25.00%]
9 [8.65%]
3 [2.88%]
17 [16.35%]
11 [10.58%]
5 [4.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 20:10
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

^Open Your Eyes starts off with what I think is a most underrated "New State of Mind", an enjoyable title track, and a serviceable "Universal Garden" before going off the rails.

Heaven and Earth has only Subway Walls, which overstays its welcome after the pretty much unmitigated dreck preceding it.

Think Open your eyes is a train wreak and not even Yes---Heaven and Earth at full blast in a car has several good songsLOL---Believe Again, The Game, Subway walls, In a world of our own---and to ascend and Light of the Ages to some extent---some great playing by Steve---the album does lack energy and should have been speeded up. But musical taste is random I know---Love to hear Howe play and he plays a lot on this.
I do think it's interesting to see how many seem to love Yes west but they never seem to win any prog polls.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 01:47
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP's Love Beach has been the source of some good discussion recently. For me it has about 60% decent material and the rest could be binned ( A Taste Of My Love , Canario and the last half of Memoirs) . It could have been a decent commercial radio friendly prog album in the same vein as Duke but didn't quite make it.

I agree about Love Beach being a precipitous drop from Brain Salad Surgery, but actually like the three tracks you singled out for culling. The March at the end of Memoirs is good and would have been great if the sound had been beefed up IMHO, the undercooked production being one of the main problems with Love Beach. I would list the other problems but don't have all day. Canario is an excellent track and Taste of My Love should be retained for its (unintentional) comedy value. All I Want is You is the one I 'd definitely drop, a thoroughly undistinguished slice of AOR. Remember my heart slumping when I saw them do this on Top of the Pops.

Yep that horrible drippy production. Have you heard the demo's that were issued as bonus tracks of Letters From The Front and Canario? Even the rough cut versions are 10 times better than the finished product.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 01:50
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

^I like Heaven and Earth More than Open Your Eyes and Test For Echo is a long way from being Rush worst album which for me would be Presto or Hold You Fire ( However Rush are one of the most consistent bands in rock/prog history , not many real down moments). I agree with the ELP and Genesis ones though. A couple of truly unlistenable albums if ever there were ( and the joke was they were supposed to be commercial radio friendly stuff).
ELP's Love Beach has been the source of some good discussion recently. For me it has about 60% decent material and the rest could be binned ( A Taste Of My Love , Canario and the last half of Memoirs) . It could have been a decent commercial radio friendly prog album in the same vein as Duke but didn't quite make it.

Biggest drop off in quality. Many would say ELP yet many will say ELP were not that good in the first place. However to go from Brain Salad Surgery (1973) to Love Beach ( 1978) is a bit sad to say the least so I guess ELP are the ones to win this 'award' and perhaps dear Greg and his mate Pete should be lead to the gallows!

We'll agree to disagree about Yes' and Rush's worst respective efforts, agreeing that all mentioned are sub-par.

Love Beach continues to garner interest in the same way an auto pile-up does. It was never going to be good, but there was promise of less-than-awful in a couple of places. Perhaps "Memoirs" could've amounted to something with another co-writer.

I agree that ELP takes the cake on plummeting quality, although Yes from Fly From Here to Heaven and Earth is close, as are the Moodies from Seventh Sojourn to Octave.

Fly For Here is pretty average imo so I don't believe there was such a massive drop.
I have to admit I am biased towards Jon Davison as I am bit of a Glass Hammer fan so that helps me in not just dismissing Heaven and Earth. Both are 2-3 star albums whichever way you want to cut it though.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 02:40

Yep that horrible drippy production. Have you heard the demo's that were issued as bonus tracks of Letters From The Front and Canario? Even the rough cut versions are 10 times better than the finished product.

Actually Love Beach is the only one of my ELP albums where I haven't replaced the original vinyl with a CD. You've now inspired me to do that so I can hear the demos! Thumbs Up
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 03:13
Same here!  I know its sacrilege but I think 'Canario' stands up well against other similar ELP work-outs such as 'Hoedown' and 'Fanfare'.  It's a shame it was never performed live and extended. 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 03:22
Only like Beat.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 04:48
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

i'm probably the only person on this planet that thinks The Final Cut is a masterpiece

You most certainly are not!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 22:04
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

i'm probably the only person on this planet that thinks The Final Cut is a masterpiece

You most certainly are not!

In a sense, and given that I might be in the right mood, I might agree with you, and I could consider the album a masterpiece... specially from a concept album point of view, but I still consider it to be among my least favourites from the band... at least below the middle if I made a list of the Floyd albums from favourite to least favourite. Still, I think many bands/artists would be very fortunate if they managed to do an album as good as this one. Still, the one thing I don't understand, is why they only put part 1 of "The Hero's Return" on the album... I managed to hear the single version with parts 1 and 2 together, and it's wonderful... if the album included both parts as a whole song that alone would lift the quality of the album (that is one of my favourite songs on the album, but as it is, it's too short to really enjoy it before it ends... with both part together it actually feels like a complete song).
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Altairius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2015 at 23:36
I voted Final Cut, but I just remembered how bad Under Wraps is.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 03:37

I wouldn't call TFC a masterpiece, but I can think of at lest three (if not four) worse Floyd album , including AMLOR and TDB)

I'd even suspect that this poll is slanted to make TFC win in view of the other bands' proposed album's choices... Most of them are not their "worst" (I mean Abacab worse than Invisible Touch?? really??)

not that it matters, though

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 08:16
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

Left out Love Beach???
He's got a point. Love Beach is really bad. Dead
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 10:57
I voted for the Final Cut.

Other albums on the list have stuck out to me with merits in the recent past and thought they may not be my favorite they still get played from time to time. Final Cut is the one that I never seem to spin, I have never been able to get into Water's self indulgence that much.

I actually quite enjoy "Beat"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 21:36
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I wouldn't call TFC a masterpiece, but I can think of at lest three (if not four) worse Floyd album , including AMLOR and TDB)

I'd even suspect that this poll is slanted to make TFC win in view of the other bands' proposed album's choices... Most of them are not their "worst" (I mean Abacab worse than Invisible Touch?? really??)

not that it matters, though

Well, for me ABACAB is indeed worse than Invisible Touch, and though I'm still missing a few of the 80's albums, it is the worst Genesis album I have got. I just don't find anything to enjoy on it, besides Dodo/Lurker. Invisible Touch has got some pop songs I really like a lot, plus "The Brazilian".
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 02:04

No, you're not. An absolute masterpiece also in my opinion!!
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 17:30
Thanks, Yoda.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2015 at 18:02
Big Generator, an awful album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 05:43
The Final Cut and Test for Echo are not bad albums at all. 

80s Renaissance is unlistenable for me.
Post 72 Moody Blues is rather poor if you ask me, rare moments of good songwriting. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:16
Honestly, I can listen to most of this list - save Jethro.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 07:30
I'll never understand the hate for Big Generator. Maybe you had to be there. Is there anyone here who doesn't like it who was a teen(like me)when it first came out? I remember the excitement surrounding it at the time and it was such a big deal and then when they played in my area following the release I got to see Yes for the first time. Great times! 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 07:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'll never understand the hate for Big Generator. Maybe you had to be there. Is there anyone here who doesn't like it who was a teen(like me)when it first came out? I remember the excitement surrounding it at the time and it was such a big deal and then when they played in my area following the release I got to see Yes for the first time. Great times! 

I like the album a lot as well. I was in my early 20s when I listened to it for the first time and I did not have a problem with it. Other Yes albums I was listening to at the time were Time & a Word, The Yes Album, TftTO, 90125 and a Yes compilation. I enjoyed the album instantly.

I've heard much worse things from Yes later (Tormato, Union, Open Your Eyes to name a few). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>