Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProto Reads Plant and Hendrix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto Reads Plant and Hendrix
    Posted: January 09 2015 at 14:56
I got two new musical bios for Christmas this year, a wonderful tradition my partner started for me many years ago now.    This year it was  A Life (Robert Plant) by Paul Rees and Starting at Zero, a near-autobiography of Jimi Hendrix.  They were both enjoyable for different reasons.

Plant's bio seems more focused on the externals of Robert Plant's life, perhaps mirroring the man himself.  This was not overly focused on the sordid details of Led Zeppelin such as Hammer of the Gods, which I read 20 years ago.  It didn't take long before it was clear that this was still not an authorized biography, as Plant (and Zeppelin for that matter) are not always discussed in the most flattering of ways.  I enjoyed leaning more from Plant's side about the toxic juggernaut that Zeppelinn tours evolved into, his anitpathy towards Led Zeppelin reunions and others' experience of working with him musically.  He comes across as kind, frequently narcissistic, a seroius womanizer and prone to casually disposing of band members (in his solo career) whom he got tired of.  At the same time he seems to show a great deal of loyalty to his childhood roots and a strong interest in exploring new territory, from delta blues, to Morroccan, to bluegrass, etc and how much he gets out of this.  A good read for any musical historian.  It also gave quite a different take on Jimmy page as compared to his own bio and is not nearly so technical or music centred.

Hendrix's 'autobiography' in that it is an attempt to organize Hendrix' life in his own words, using journals, interviews, letter,  television, etc. from a multiplicity of sources and trying to create a degree of narrative flow out of this.  To me, this *felt* like a successful process as the voice of the book was of a dreamy, introverted, often stoned, uneducated kid who knew music as probably his first language.  Unfortunately, Jimi is not very articulate, nor self aware and I got the feeling that others could have expressed this better for him.  What really stood out was his extreme dislike of repeating what he had done in the past, a sense of thinking musically and struggling to make this real.  He came across in this book as a man who truly had a progressive musical spirit and it is sad that this did not come to fruition.  I don't really know Hendrix well, beyond his hits really, and am now inspired to explore some of his lesser know later material, something I'm sure many PA members have already done!

Anyways, both are recommended for amateur musical historians!
More heavy prog, please!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 13:59
^Just Got Starting at Zero from my local library. Will get back with some comments in about a week.
Btw, this will be the 21st bio I've read about my hero.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 08:51
I'm about half way through Starting at Zero and it's a pleasure to read after reading or hearing so much on the almost mythic life of this gifted musician. There was never a doubt in my mind that Hendrix was at heart a gentle, intelligent man and that comes through in many of his self revealing interviews and private writings. If you read between the lines, you can pick up a great deal of how Hendrix viewed racism in the U.S. He acknowledged that it existed but felt it was time for people to 'get together', in other words, to move on from it.
I can tell that this book is one of those that requires re-reading as there's a lot that's hidden in the text. I will give you all a more complete overview when I've finished that's excellent work.

Edited by SteveG - January 23 2015 at 11:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 13:47
I'm about 7/8 through and can't find time to wrap it up! Again, it great to hear Hendrix describe things in his own points of view. However, some quotes or interviews to the media are forced PR, such as all the members of the experience always getting along, etc. But his diary journals are true as he talks of every girl he's had and his many experiences getting drunk or high after gigs, etc.
It's a good read, but as it's not a real autobiography it only goes so far. 3/5 stars should suffice. 

Edited by SteveG - January 28 2015 at 13:54
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Just Got Starting at Zero from my local library. Will get back with some comments in about a week.
Btw, this will be the 21st bio I've read about my hero.

holy crap!!
Progrockdude
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:37
^Yea, it's a good thing I never saw Robert Johnson play live instead of Hendrix. There's not much written about R. J.!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 12:25
Finally finished Starting at Zero. Hendrix shows his true self and some backbone by moving Chas Chandler out of the producers seat and producing Electric Ladyland by himself. He also takes more interest in his own finances, and has many revealing comments on the 'plastic' pop music industry of his day.  I increased my rating to 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Edited by SteveG - January 29 2015 at 14:07
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 15:48
Hey Steve, I don't know if you've already read it (since it's been out since 1980), but Jerry Hopkins/Danny Sugerman's No One Here Gets Out Alive remains the definitive biography on Jim Morrison. I remember reading the book, then some time later watching The Doors movie, and thinking to myself that the movie seemed to miss the entire point of Morrison. What a botch job. The book, however, was fabulous.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 14:45
^Agreed. I've read No One Gets out of Here Alive many years ago and was indeed impressed. The Doors Movie was nothing more than sensationalist trash. What a stinker.
 Post Reply Post Reply