Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 20:45
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ And what, pray tell, is so bad about heavy influences?

Metal is just a fad. Zero composition=Zero music
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 20:48
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Old PROG has more jazz and classical influence while new prog has bad influences such as metal, hard rock etc to really ruin the composition

Saw this posted on the other forum.  Sounded like 70's prog, but it was listed I think as new.

I only like the new bands that sound like an original prog band from the 70s. Which is rare. No copy cats. I'll give this one a listen soon and tell you if I like it

Edited by dr prog - January 24 2015 at 20:51
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 20:57

Metal is just a fad. Zero composition=Zero music  

Don't quite get the joke, but at least I know where you're coming from.

I only like the new bands that sound like an original prog band from the 70s. Which is rare. No copy cats. I'll give this one a listen soon and tell you if I like it

Another question: since you drop off in '83, I'm guessing that you like Depois Do Fim, so if you do, what do you think about that album's sixth track?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 21:21

<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">

</span><br style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;"><br style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">Metal is just a fad. Zero composition=Zero music </span><span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;"> 
</span>
<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">Don't quite get the joke, but at least I know where you're coming from.</span>

Another question: since you drop off in '83, I'm guessing that you like Depois Do Fim, so if you do, what do you think about that album's sixth track?

I like old heavy rock though. Prog related stuff. Haven't heard Depois. I'll check on YouTube
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 22:25

Old PROG has more jazz and classical influence while new prog has bad influences such as metal, hard rock etc to really ruin the composition

Saw this posted on the other forum.  Sounded like 70's prog, but it was listed I think as new.

There are two songs on there.  The second sounds like some Canterbury track from the late 60's with a big church organ, violin, like a traditional classical music piece.  I actually thought it was very beautiful. 

I didn't see a band name posted or anything.  Does anyone know what this is?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 05:38
I also very much like the sound, esp the first minutes. Rythmically it lacks steadiness, kind of wobbly, though (some will say that provides a kind of warrant that they don't break the no-DAW rule).

That music fondly reminds me of that incredible picnic back in july 1989 where, for the first time, I...
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:23
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

I also very much like the sound, esp the first minutes. Rythmically it lacks steadiness, kind of wobbly, though (some will say that provides a kind of warrant that they don't break the no-DAW rule).

That music fondly reminds me of that incredible picnic back in july 1989 where, for the first time, I...

That's why I am thinking it's from the 70's.  It sounds like it was recorded in that era without DAW for sure.

I can't put my finger on it, but there is a classical music piece (Bach?) that reminds me of the second track (starts around 7 minutes).  Very hauntingly beautiful with pipe organ.

Edited by Skullhead - January 25 2015 at 12:26
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:13

there is a classical music piece (Bach?) that reminds me of the second track (starts around 7 minutes).  Very hauntingly beautiful with pipe organ.

Also a good moment. I'd say it's written similarly to recitatives, but it's their own effort.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 16:43

This is from the double album Tell A Vision by Art Rock Circus, released in 2005. Listed under the name of guitarist / vocalist / main man John Miner on PA.

Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:41
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

This is from the double album Tell A Vision by Art Rock Circus, released in 2005. Listed under the name of guitarist / vocalist / main man John Miner on PA.

Thanks
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 18:57
I found this, which basically confirms why I thought it was a 1970's album.  Glad to know I am not having hallucinations!               

http://www.progressor.net/review/art_rock_circus_2005.html

Quote Their new album appears as the realization of my (not only mine, I believe) dream to hear a truly honest and inspired Art Rock in the new millennium. Very highly recommended. Touch the magic! Top-2005

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 21:18

Sounds pretty crap lol. Awful vocals and boring composition Tongue
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 21:38
I liked the second track a lot more than the first.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:36

Prog seems to have a love affair with awful vocals, even in the 70's.

I liked the vocals, they sounded organic, original and the second song with the female vocal
reminded me of Annie Haslam, just a shade darker Angry

What bands from say post 2000 qualify as sounding like they're from the 70's?
This one was about as close as I have heard, I like the lack of DAW, but I don't listen to all the new stuff coming out either.  I think I prefer the classic prog sound and vibe also.

Edited by Skullhead - January 26 2015 at 01:39
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:57

Prog seems to have a love affair with awful vocals, even in the 70's.

I liked the vocals, they sounded organic, original and the second song with the female vocal
reminded me of Annie Haslam, just a shade darker Angry

What bands from say post 2000 qualify as sounding like they're from the 70's?
This one was about as close as I have heard, I like the lack of DAW, but I don't listen to all the new stuff coming out either.  I think I prefer the classic prog sound and vibe also.

Had a 70s sound but the quality of composition was miles off
Altairius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 05:49
drprog you might like Diagonal. They sound like one of those somewhat heavy early prog bands with some lingering psychedelia. I can tell it's modern because it's almost impossible to truly sound like a 70's band (even subtle attitudes in the vocals give it away), and I have a particularly sharp sense about this, but they have the sound down and are a genuine entry into that style. They're not a rip of anything.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 05:57
Skullhead:
There are heaps upon heaps of modern day bands that sound like they're from the 70s:

I could on for a very long time but won't. There are thousands of these bands out there for those of you insist on living in the pastWink (I do so as well but like to keep the line open to the future and beyond)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 07:38
Ooo, like the new hat in the avatar ! ;-)

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 08:47
Is metal the new punk to Proggians now?
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:30
Just don't have the money to invest in new prog and wouldn't know what to buy anyway. I'm sure there's good prog radio out there to inform me of what's out there currently, but I've never been compelled to dial it up. Am tired of putting on the same ol' selection of the old stuff (mainly indulged in over headphones on long walks), but that's where I am (sigh). Have a friend who supplies me with an occasional "new" selection of prog, but with exception of a few snippets here and there, I'm usually disappointed. Sorry about this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>