Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why old prog - for me - is better than new prog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy old prog - for me - is better than new prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 19:44
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ That's a hell of a thing to say. What, perchance, is "real" melody?

And what about harmony? Tonality? Atonality? Polyrhythms?

We all know a smart catchy busy melody when we hear one. Something you can Hum to and never get bored of

I only asked since you implied that there were improper melodies. There sure aren't.

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 28 2015 at 19:44
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 19:58

(...)
He has in mind a pop song(s) with a proggy arrangements; that same song(s), but without proggy arrangements, that may be a candidate for the Eurovision song contest in late 60s / early 70s.

Edited by Svetonio - January 28 2015 at 19:58
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:08
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

(...)

He has in mind a pop song(s) with a proggy arrangements; that same song(s), but without proggy arrangements, that may be a candidate for the Eurovision song contest in late 60s / early 70s.

There would be nothing left without the PROG arrangements. Pop is not catchy, it's boring. Don't link me with Eurovision
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:22

(...)

There would be nothing left without the PROG arrangements. Pop is not catchy, it's boring. Don't link me with Eurovision
But so-called "real melody" that you mentioned, that's pop actually.

Edited by Svetonio - January 29 2015 at 01:25
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 02:59
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

I don't want to bash modern prog, I really don't but to my ears I keep hearing three deal breakers.  It's a copy of something in the past.  It's focusing too much on chops and "look at me" or how wonderful and fast I can play.  Or, it seems focused on DAW production trying to impress me with stellar seamless production which ends up dying on my ears because it is so predicable in the way.

Wow, you just hit the nail on the head for me.  I've been trying to explain this to myself for a while.  I hear all this new music that seems like it *should* be great, but just doesn't stick with me.  It dies after a few listens.  Glass Hammer always seems like they're just trying to be Yes, but they don't capture that awe-and-love-of-the-universe quality, even though their lyrics say they're trying to.  Dream Theater kills me with their never-ending 10-minute-long-one-solo-into-another-soulless chops-fests (Dragonforce is far worse about this though... never bothered to see if they were on this site or not).  And so many bands (and people in general, I see this on this forum all the time and hear people complain about it in reality) focus so much more on the quality of the production than the composition itself that the structure isn't there to support the clear sound.

I was really startled when I randomly decided to listen to Yes' live Yessongs again for the first time in years.  All you hear now is note-for-note totally perfect pitch and rhythm.  I had Yessongs in my head as the most phenomenal concert I'd heard.  When I heard it again, I found all these "mistakes" - parts that were off pitch or where volumes were out of whack, but you know what?  I loved it.  It had so much feeling.

Then again, there are many, many prog albums I love that are meticulously produced to an extreme.  So I don't think the attention to production ruins anything - just that if production is the main focus as opposed to concept or composition.  Just thoughts though... coming to me after reading what you wrote.

I'm not hung up on being incredibly original, either.  Every musician has their own voice, sometimes it will sound like someone else's.  But that doesn't make it any less worthwhile in my opinion.  Sadly, so many albums to listen to, so little time, I'm sure I've missed a ton of great stuff that's out there.

I've been saying this for a few years. Music can only progress through melody and real melody came from people who were mainly exposed to classical, jazz, folk and late 60s Rock and Rnb. Lots of good melodic ideas there. But today the Jazz and classical influences are less and there are a lot of bad influences come in from other styles from the 80s

Huh?  Real melody?  Bad influences?  I am confused.  What's a real melody vs. a fake one?  Whoops, looks like the post after this already called that out.  And the one after that... okay, I'm going to skip quoting because it's getting big, but...

^That's getting really weird, dr.  Pop drives me insane a lot, but can you seriously tell me that you have never woken up or spent a day with an irritating pop melody stuck in your head?  You don't even have to like a song in order for it to be catchy.  Some things... just get stuck.

Pop is extremely melodic, though sometimes it does take a back seat to rhythm.  And yes, lots of the classic prog is also extremely melodic, as are many examples of other types of music.  Melody is neither confined to nor excluded from any type of music.  And whether a melody is "catchy" also depends on everything else that's happening behind it.  You know those four-chord songs that inevitably seem to be popular hits?  Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" and - hah - Disney's "Let it Go" for example?  There's a very high chance that if you kept everything the same - rhythm, lyrics and melody - but changed those four chords, that they wouldn't have been hits.  The melody isn't the only important thing.

By the way, it is really, really fun to shock a room full of people by singing "Don't Stop Believing" over "Let it Go" when the opportunity arises.  They all go pale and you can see their wheels turning, wondering how many other songs they like are the same.

https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:28
Pop isn't melodic to me. Amateur melodies made by amateur composers
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:36

Bullsh*t. There's a lot of great pop.

Edited by Svetonio - January 29 2015 at 05:36
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:39

Show me some
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:39
I beg to differ - why am I falling out of love with the 'old school of Prog' ??? Sure, I have many favourites (lots and lots, actually), but I'm truly loving the more modern Prog these days. Even the releases by the 70's bands.......
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:44

Show me some
And then you to say that's all piece of sh*t or to ignore? forget about.

Edited by Svetonio - January 29 2015 at 05:44
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 05:56
So instead of turning this thread into a bashing war - ie "why on earth doesn't everyone else feel like me, when it's obvious that I'm in the right?", let's just agree to disagree. 
The only thing I've been able to discern from this thread is the fact that some members stick to their guns - only wanting new music that sounds exactly like the old. They like what they like and to hell with everything else. 
What baffles me though is how some of these people continue to harp on about music they don't like (or don't get), when it is obvious that their frame of reference is restrained to a few modern Neo or Symph acts. Then again, those are about the only subgenres that still are producing retro-prog in the vein of Genesis and Yes these days.  
Now if old school prog is your thing and seems to be THE only thing, then stick to it - cherish it and keep digging in the past. Lord knows I'm still finding gems from the 70s. 
Most of the guys dissing modern prog in this thread (bar Gerinski) seem like they once listened to 2 minutes of Big Big Train and then came to the conclusion that ALL modern prog is like that. Maybe that's something of a generalisation, but it sure feels that way.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 11:15
Old prog may be comfortable to many people, but the idea that nothing new can arise from it is personally boring to me.

I like new bands that push boundaries and are atleast trying to come up with something original. That's why I'm always defending  different kinds of prog metal like Extreme/Tech, Heavy Prog and Experimental/Post Rock.

If you are in a comfort zone with old prog, that's fine. More power to you. But if your looking for originality, then you've come to the wrong place.

Edited by SteveG - January 29 2015 at 14:04
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 16:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Most of the guys dissing modern prog in this thread (bar Gerinski) ...

That was very considerate from you David, thanks! Big smile
errr... I actually like the latest Big Big Train albums a lot (mostly The Underfall Yard) and not just because they sound retro, as I said before I find many retro-prog nice-sounding but missing real inspiration, but I hear some true inspiration in The Underfall Yard (to my ears of course).
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:00

The only thing I've been able to discern from this thread is the fact that some members stick to their guns - only wanting new music that sounds exactly like the old. They like what they like and to hell with everything else. 
Allow me to disagree, that's not what I discern, quite the opposite. If they really wanted new music that sounds exactly like the old, they'd be happy with retro-prog, but what they claim is that even if it does try to replicate the old style and sound it fails, it's missing something more intangible, 'the spirit', 'the authenticity', or what I chose to call the 'true inspiration'.

Conversely, I don't think that you can say about a classic prog fan liking things so diverse as, say, early Floyd, classic ELP or Genesis, Jean Michel Jarre, Gong, early Queen, Zeppelin, Camel's The Snow Goose, Klaus Schulze, Supertramp, VDGG, Egg, Oldfield, Black Sabbath, Renaissance, Tull, The Who, The Beatles and possibly even Magma, that their problem is that they are stuck with just one kind of music. It think it's proven that their tastes are really diverse and open. But in all that music, as diverse as it was, they find something which they hardly find in new prog. The new prog may be diverse and original but not hitting the right buttons (for them that is). 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:11
Hey no prob Gerard
I always find your posts insightful and honest - and at least you've made an effort to properly explain your thoughts on this issue. AND I know that you've dipped your toes in a fair bit of modern prog, so you at least have a grip on the multitude of styles out there.
Anyway, I welcome everybody on here no matter what their taste in music is. My posts in here were never about new prog vs old prog or trying to elevate one over the other. Mostly because that is downright foolish and only really matters to the person in question.
What irks me is when members with a limited knowledge of X style/genre/you name it goes on a crusade to tell the rest of us "the truth" of how bad it is. It's all subjective and there are no real ways of determining whether or not a piece of music is inferior to another. There is taste and luckily we've got loads of different flavours.
While reading some of the responses back in this thread, I was reminded of food. Yep I'm hungry! Nah but imagine meeting a guy who dismisses the entire French cuisine because he doesn't like escargots. "I hate that French food dammit!! They eat fecking snails!!!!"
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:24
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Allow me to disagree, that's not what I discern, quite the opposite. If they really wanted new music that sounds exactly like the old, they'd be happy with retro-prog, but what they claim is that even if it does try to replicate the old style and sound it fails, it's missing something more intangible, 'the spirit', 'the authenticity', or what I chose to call the 'true inspiration'.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Conversely, I don't think that you can say about a classic prog fan liking things so diverse as, say, early Floyd, classic ELP or Genesis, Jean Michel Jarre, Gong, early Queen, Zeppelin, Camel's The Snow Goose, Klaus Schulze, Supertramp, VDGG, Egg, Oldfield, Black Sabbath, Renaissance, Tull, The Who, The Beatles and possibly even Magma, that their problem is that they are stuck with just one kind of music. It think it's proven that their tastes are really diverse and open. But in all that music, as diverse as it was, they find something which they hardly find in new prog. The new prog may be diverse and original but not hitting the right buttons (for them that is). </span>

No I get that too, don't worry. Hell, I am the first to chose the old school bands when we're talking about Prog - like in the classic style prog. I just don't get people who want the same as the old but not really. I get the missing "feel" too, but then again I currently find that outside of the retro-prog groups (mostly anyway).
I like my classic prog (even the modern retro kind) to sound like it was recorded in the 70s. I like it raw and live in the studio - just like Skullhead/Surrealist. I also prefer simple mic placing over anything fancy and noise reducing.....but then i come to my senses and grab an album from the good ol days. For me personally, if the genre has to have any chance of lasting beyond the next couple of decades, then we need to approach the new stuff in the same way the old guys once did, when they first span Close to the Edge - with no preservations and an open mind - ready to hear something you haven't heard before. If you come into an album expecting things to have a particular sound, mellotron, jazzy drums or whatever kind of specific ingrediens, you have already set yourself up for fail.
Then again, it is also incredibly futile to push music you simply do not care for down your throat.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 29 2015 at 17:27

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 17:35
Another thing: most of the modern "prog" trying to push the envelope is doing exactly that by infusing altogether new and, to some, estranged styles into the mix. Why? Because it's the way forth. That's why we have so many different varieties of metal in prog - just like punk, post-punk, electronica, drone, no wave and all kinds of pop have crept in the backdoor.
In many ways it is exactly the same that happened back when prog started out, only then the genres were jazz, RnB, folk and classical

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 29 2015 at 17:36

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 18:01

Another thing: most of the modern "prog" trying to push the envelope is doing exactly that by infusing altogether new and, to some, estranged styles into the mix. Why? Because it's the way forth. That's why we have so many different varieties of metal in prog - just like punk, post-punk, electronica, drone, no wave and all kinds of pop have crept in the backdoor.
In many ways it is exactly the same that happened back when prog started out, only then the genres were jazz, RnB, folk and classical

Clap

As somebody who has always listened to different musical genres, this is the thing that appeals to me most in modern prog. As much as I love the classics (and I do, as I grew up with them), I find the best modern prog intellectually stimulating - as well as aurally pleasing - because of the skill with which all of those diverse influences are blended together and inflused with a progressive spirit.

The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 18:10
I don't care much for modern prog because it's usually either metal based, or retro. Tool is the only band that has seamlessly carried the full spirit into (somewhat) modern times. The inherent blandness and static force of metal, musicianship before melody, ego before atmosphere...these things break up the mental picture that all great prog creates.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 19:48

Show me some

There was once a band called The Beatles. Pick a song, any damn song.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 29 2015 at 19:48
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>