Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:18

Originally posted by Rick
Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Wasn't "The Golden Age of Rock Music" (late '60s - early '70s) a cultural manifestation/byproduct of the socio-econo-political turmoil of Biblical proportions that was going on at that time? 
 I would say 'no', the artists were just trying to push on the boundaries, like it's happening right nowadays with progressive music (though in underground way). Something alike but much stronger happened in Italy - Rinascenza; France - Impressionism; Europe - XIX Century's Pre-romantic and Romantic Era in Classical Music. 
We know from history books that Europe was going through incredible tectonic shift right about the time when Impressionism was taking root. A coincidence or a direct and overwhelming causative factor? If you are into history, you may want to read up on the “Spring of the Nations”.

And the 21st century resurgence of prog is happening, or so it would seem, concurrently with very momentous (albeit gradual) socio-economic changes.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The evolution of instruments has slowed down considerably. The amplification and modifications of the signal have hit a big ceiling and are not expanding for now. I'm a firm believer, based on the past 75 years that the next "evolution" will be centered around a completely new sound that intrigues us, and until that happens, everything will sound duplicated from someone else in the past ... it's the nature of music history!
I'm not so sure. The physical principles of sound are now completely understood and by now the technology exists so that ANY humanly audible timbre can be produced. From this perspective the ceiling you refer to is there to remain, there can not be any further expansion in terms of generating new sounds. Another thing is that sounds which are already possible today but are rarely used because they feel too weird may become common as our ears and brains get used to new trends. And of course the possible re-combinations of existing sounds in different ways are endless. But new sounds from new instruments evolution? no I don't think so or at least not in any major way.

I think truly "new music" may come from scientific and technological advances not in the sound synthesis itself but in the understanding of the neurology involved in music perception. There may come a day when "music" is a different thing, we getting wired or wearing a sort of helmet which directly will cause sense perceptions in our brain similar to what we now get with sonic music, exciting the same brain circuits as our hearing does and generating mental landscapes and emotions in our minds.

but that's a big digression from the OP LOL

Edited by Gerinski - January 12 2015 at 10:30
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:39
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Wasn't "The Golden Age of Rock Music" (late '60s - early '70s) a cultural manifestation/byproduct of the socio-econo-political turmoil of Biblical proportions that was going on at that time? 

I would say 'no', the artists were just trying to push on the boundaries, like it's happening right nowadays with progressive music (though in underground way). Something alike but much stronger happened in Italy - Rinascenza; France - Impressionism; Europe - XIX Century's Pre-romantic and Romantic Era in Classical Music.
I would say that yes, much of modern rock music (though certainly not all!) had a cultural aspect, surely not of Biblical proportions, but it had some cultural background associated with it. The Flower Power, Psychedelia, Hard Rock, Prog, Glam, Punk, New Wave, Hip-Hop... all of this genres did actually represent the musical side of a wider cultural scene in their followers which included aesthetics, leitmotifs and lifestyle elements. Perhaps the reason why modern rock and the modern progressive music is lacking steam (at least in the opinion of some) is that it lacks that cultural substrate. All of the aforementioned genres I can identify with some visual and cultural aspects with which they were associated, but if you ask me which cultural current are the modern progressive bands manifesting, I have no idea. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:51
So is it just the evolution of genre labels and titles that pulled prog out of the charts? I mean back in the late 60's early 70's most bands like KC, Tull, The Pink Floyd, Genesis were spoke of as "pop music" or "rock music".....If you watch very early documentary's most call them pop bands.
Today, we expand and tear apart the music and make it difficult for the general public to understand what it is we are talking about. We created a label system that sub-divided all rock music into smaller categories based on structure, song writing, influence and what instruments are being used. It could be we made it way too confusing for the general public to follow our music and make it popular again...I mean I think this website would explode if King Crimson and Pink Floyd were to be called rock/pop music.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:19
Did any of the second wave of prog in the 90's or later have any chart success?
Spocks, Flower Kings, Anglegard, Ozric T... etc?

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 11:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So is it just the evolution of genre labels and titles that pulled prog out of the charts? I mean back in the late 60's early 70's most bands like KC, Tull, The Pink Floyd, Genesis were spoke of as "pop music" or "rock music".....If you watch very early documentary's most call them pop bands.
Today, we expand and tear apart the music and make it difficult for the general public to understand what it is we are talking about. We created a label system that sub-divided all rock music into smaller categories based on structure, song writing, influence and what instruments are being used. It could be we made it way too confusing for the general public to follow our music and make it popular again...I mean I think this website would explode if King Crimson and Pink Floyd were to be called rock/pop music.
Yes and no, I guess what the OP meant is whether complicated music could become popular again, and for that to happen no labels are required.
Luis de Sousa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't think prog ever will become part of the "mainstream" - as for progressive music, then I think we need a brand new "the 60s" for that to ever unfold. We have to change the audience and make them challenge the way they normally think about sounds - the music is already there. 

Someone born in 1950 in an OECD member had by 1970 lived through the period of fastest economic growth in the history of Mankind (when accounted both in € and physical terms).

Progressive music was one of the creations of the Baby Boom generation. In Europe they were the first in centuries to not live through (or have the perspective) of foot-soldier war or serious economic recession. Education was made truly universal, and by the 1960s the majority of those enrolled in University were for the first time children of the working class. This generation thus developed other concerns and ambitions, naturally using music to create an identity of their own.

In the US there was the Vietnam war, the Nixon shock and Universities were kept to the elite. But up to 1973, those lucky enough to have missed the war lived through a period of incredible prosperity and progress.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:51

For an American like myself born in 1951 the answer is yes. For those Americans born 10 years earlier or later, the answer would be no.  Unfortunately, your question depends on relativity, Argonaught.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 14:56
Some ideas of mine:

The pop charts have been rushing through hype after hype for years.  Britpop, "The"-bands, Dubstep ... who knows what will follow next?  Will people eventually get bored with music restricted to either the "radio single" format (most kinds of rock and pop music) or endless repetition of a short riff (much of what is labeled "progressive" these days in the "alternative rock" press)?  What kind of music may become associated with the LOHAS/"Bright Green" current?  Will that lead to a renaissance of progressive rock, in a modernized form but adhering to the progressive spirit of the late 60s and early 70s?  Perhaps - but perhaps not.

Progressive rock, as I see it, filled a niche in the late 60s, when modern jazz became bloodlessly academic the same way classical music had become in the late 40s; it seems that there is a demand for contemporary sophisticated but lifelike and accessible music.  I think this demand still exists today, and I don't see how hip-hop and electronic dance music should bring forth something to fulfill this demand anytime soon.  Nor do I see how repetitive music of rock origin really fulfills it.  I, at least, get bored quickly listening to Mogwai or Tool.

Hence, I think that progressive rock will continue to grow in the next few decades, though it is uncertain whether it will ever rock stadiums again.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:29
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Some ideas of mine:

The pop charts have been rushing through hype after hype for years.  Britpop, "The"-bands, Dubstep ... who knows what will follow next?  Will people eventually get bored with music restricted to either the "radio single" format (most kinds of rock and pop music) or endless repetition of a short riff (much of what is labeled "progressive" these days in the "alternative rock" press)?  What kind of music may become associated with the LOHAS/"Bright Green" current?  Will that lead to a renaissance of progressive rock, in a modernized form but adhering to the progressive spirit of the late 60s and early 70s?  Perhaps - but perhaps not.

Progressive rock, as I see it, filled a niche in the late 60s, when modern jazz became bloodlessly academic the same way classical music had become in the late 40s; it seems that there is a demand for contemporary sophisticated but lifelike and accessible music.  I think this demand still exists today, and I don't see how hip-hop and electronic dance music should bring forth something to fulfill this demand anytime soon.  Nor do I see how repetitive music of rock origin really fulfills it.  I, at least, get bored quickly listening to Mogwai or Tool.

Hence, I think that progressive rock will continue to grow in the next few decades, though it is uncertain whether it will ever rock stadiums again.

I have to take umbrage with two of your conclusions:

First off, jazz hadn't gotten anywhere near academic in the late '60's. That was more an invention of the '80's and beyond. Jazz in the late '60's included fusion, free jazz, acid jazz... truly out of this world stuff. And those jazz fans who didn't like that instead lapped up the last of the great modal and post-bop albums.

Second, never ever undersell hip hop and EDM. Those genres have undergrounds, and I know for a plain fact that underground rap is as vibrant and varied as prog. And so it is in much the same place as prog - Dalek and Matt Martians have their own experimental and unique music like Beardfish and Senogul, but as well the same fat chance of ever hitting the mainstream. Mainstream rap is, then as well, much like mainstream rock.

In the end, then, I'd say that any unique underground album from prog, indie, hip hop, wherever, could, if they hit the chord at the right time, get mainstream success, but they aren't going to drag a whole bunch of subgenres up with them.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:28
What's everyone worried about? Pink Floyd, Rush, Yes, Ian Anderson and Genesis have all charted in the past couple years with releases or rereleases. Nothing has changed.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 01:46
I think we have to make a distinction between prog tracks that make the charts and prog bands having hit singles. 
For instance Radiohead - Paranoid Android is the last time I remember a prog track making the British Charts, Its a very rare occurence . Something like Kayleigh is not really prog imo.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 02:00
Does anyone remember a song called "Love is like Oxygen" performed by a glam pop band called "The Sweet" back in the 70's?

That was a very big hit back then, and if you listen to it.. it's absolute prog rock if you get the album cut, and not the chopped radio version.

They were as poppy as Justin Beiber is today, but they did this prog song that was a smash hit. 

It's a great song and an epic prog song much like Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend". 

I think it's more likely Lady Gaga would put out a great prog tune and gain interest than a modern prog band rise to prominence through the current music business system.
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:34
For prog to achieve the level of popularity it once had would require a sea change in the attitudes of the average music buyer who's been conditioned to view music as product rather than art.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:58
Originally posted by zappaholic zappaholic wrote:

For prog to achieve the level of popularity it once had would require a sea change in the attitudes of the average music buyer who's been conditioned to view music as product rather than art.

Tarkus by ELP was the number 1 album in the UK charts in 1971. Was this 'product/art' ignored by the average music buyer (whatever that means) yet there remained a sufficient surfeit of willing consumers to usurp the prevailing orthodoxy of conditioning? I believe people have considerably more nous that you seem to believe (albeit much has changed societally in 40 yearsUnhappy)

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 13 2015 at 13:58
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 12:47
Originally posted by Luís de Sousa Luís de Sousa wrote:

Quote What would have to happen for modern prog to compete with the likes of today's pop stars like Gaga, Beiber, Miley, Swift?

Something really bad, that I wish never happens. Those North American performers you refer to are not musicians, nor do they aim to be so; they are mere entertainers. 

Au contraire.  Lady Gaga is an excellent keyboardist and talented vocalist.  Any time she wants to reprise "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway," I'd be very interested.  She has an amazing sense of drama with her stage clothes, so I'd enjoy seeing her in a Slipper Man suit! 

She is from New York City, so who knows?  
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 01:25
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

Does anyone remember a song called "Love is like Oxygen" performed by a glam pop band called "The Sweet" back in the 70's?

That was a very big hit back then, and if you listen to it.. it's absolute prog rock if you get the album cut, and not the chopped radio version.

They were as poppy as Justin Beiber is today, but they did this prog song that was a smash hit. 

It's a great song and an epic prog song much like Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend". 

I think it's more likely Lady Gaga would put out a great prog tune and gain interest than a modern prog band rise to prominence through the current music business system.

The Sweet were the first band I loved and I still enjoy some of their music. The long version is a bit longer but not that much. Another big hit around that time was Ram Jam Band - Black Betty. I only discovered a few years ago a long version of this track. Worth checking out for the manic 'southern boogie' mid section that was cut out on the single edit.

Edited by richardh - January 14 2015 at 14:10
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 02:22
That what we call a mainstream is two different things then and now.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 02:29
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

When prog first hit the ears of late 1960's music listeners, it went right into the mainstream pop charts.
From Crimson to Floyd, Tull to Yes, Genesis to the Moody Blues.  Nearly 50 years later anyone can go to a vinyl record store and easily find the proof of the abundance of the popularity of these bands in the dollar bins often in volumes. 

What would have to happen for modern prog to compete with the likes of today's pop stars like Gaga, Beiber, Miley, Swift?

Would they have to come to prog and absorb it? or do we need a hip hop version of prog etc?
I believe that for that to happen we would have to stop imitating our prog ancestors and pay attention to what PF, Gabriel, Bush, Genesis (in the 80's), and Radiohead have accomplished (some of these examples are dated, but you can learn something from them, right?). You will find a correlation that suggests that maybe in this case Crossover is the way to go.

... or ...

go with metal. I'm not sure how popular guys like Death are today, but the metal scene here in Reno is huge and diverse, from technical to crap. I was auditioning for a metal band (whoever told me that was a good idea) that had the chops, so as an idea prog was in place.

Crossover, metal, or both; take your pick. That would be my guess, all in all.

Great post, Dayvenkirq Clap

Edited by Svetonio - January 14 2015 at 02:31
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:35
Perhaps the unfashionability of progressive rock is partly due to a low fashionability of intellectual pursuits in leisure time.  People who indulge in intellectual pursuits are often considered "geeks", if not suspected to have Asperger's.  "Normal" people go to the gym after work, not to the library.  They watch sports events on TV, not science documentaries.  And progressive rock is indubitably quite an intellectual music genre, but lacking the prestige of classical and modern jazz.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>