Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost-Prog tag: should we take it seriously?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 15:54
^The "new frontier of prog" sounds sexy to me Raff, but I'm am old sentimental fool.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 16:11
Next, the International Geographical Year of Prog?
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 16:14
I use it all the time (in fact some are crediting me for inventing it, which isn't true), for stuff like what's in this chart. It's a good term because so many prog snobs can't stand Muse and Coheed being called prog (and they're kinda right)

http://collage.topsters.net/?id=a8aa0b272edcb176279bb13caf87f9b9
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 16:31
Also, on the kscope topic - as someone has already said, it's basically them trying to be all unique and give their bands a title. And it really doesn't help the term, since it becomes harder to define. It can and should be a useful genre name, since the bands in the pic above have a lot of connections but no true genre name.

And I do believe DTES putting the tag on their album was my doing, after I called the album a cornerstone of the genre. A few other bands I have reviewed and talked with have done this as well.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 17:19
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

The said tag should be taken seriously ONLY if it fits a reality, if there's a given definition of what post-progressive rock is supposed to be. Otherwise, it could appear as a gimmick and a form of advertisement: "Try something new, try something fresh... Try... POST-PROGRESSIVE!"

For my part, I tend to think that such a label only exists in the minds of people who don't know very well the history of rock music in general and of progressive rock in particular: to keep the comparison with punk and post-punk, one could say that the Rock In Opposition movement is the "post-progressive" stuff.
This.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 17:35
Here is the definition we used to build the essentials chart from:

"Post-Prog refers to a style of modern rock music, emerging in the early-mid 2000’s, evolving from popular 90’s forms of rock music, predominantly alternative rock, although indie rock and post-hardcore have major influences, and adding a progressive influence to the style. Like the original 70’s progressive rock movements, these bands are taking the sound and stretching it to its structural limits – some only slightly, and some a great deal. But despite this, their links to the original progressive rock genre are fleeting, and many have criticised the genre and its name because of that.

Interestingly, the genre mostly emerged in the mainstream, with groups like Muse, Biffy Clyro and 30 Seconds to Mars pushing their radio-friendly sounds to new limits and adding longer songs, influence from classical music and odd time signatures into the mix. But it was only later, when The Mars Volta released Deloused in the Comatorium, that Post-Prog became properly innovative and unique, and more than just “alt-rock with flair”.

Although split into separate factions influenced more by alternative rock, post-hardcore or indie rock, all the post-prog bands shared similar ideologies – taking relatively accessible music and putting a twist on it that didn’t distort it too much (although The Mars Volta would later do so, hence their questionable inclusion in the genre. Their influence on many true post prog bands, however, is undeniable). Some groups, such as Coheed and Cambria, even found commercial success, with their mix of accessible songs with ambitious concepts and structures.

Many bands took The Mars Volta’s influence in different directions, with The Fall of Troy leading a more post-hardcore influenced group, and Closure in Moscow breeding some poppier, alt-rock versions of The Volta. Simultaneously, a more alt-rock and riff oriented scene picked up in Australia, with Karnivool and Cog inspiring legions of Australians (and later, others) to start up heavy, progressive alternative rock groups that shared the same ideology as their post-hardcore cousins. The other group of artists was always much smaller, a group of bands more influenced by Radiohead and Anathema, and their inclusion under the post-prog banner has always been up for debate. The Dear Hunter, with their post-hardcore tendencies, were one of the few bands in that area to undeniably fall under the umbrella."

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 18:45
No.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 18:55
Yes!!

this is an encyclopedia site. all the site does is collect the data man.. its days of being a front line definer are long over.. as such.. if it gains popular acceptance and/or relevance  you deny it only at the risk of whatever credibility  the site has left out there in the community after losing most of it.. awarding PT/SW albums albums of the year for so many years running.. AND having a forum where a 4th division prog group like Camel defeats ELP TWICE!!  LOL

Edited by micky - January 12 2015 at 18:57
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 20:27
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Pretty much everything released after circa 1979 could be deemed 'post prog' methinks...I mean do you take the term 'post baroque' seriously?Confused
I respect your opinion but I think that the term "post-progressive" should not be used as a determinant of time (e.g. "after 1979", etc.) because it could not work as for example Neo Prog - it was originaly & strictly British 80s prog phenomenon but now there is a lot of contemporary bands in PA Neo Prog section due to their style.

However, "post-progresive" tag could be useful for a distinctive sound. For example, listen to Skornet by Brieg Guerveno, a singer-songwriter from Saint Brieuc, France (and who actually sings in his native Breton language); that's "post-progressive" sound to me.

As for the idea that the PA should have a "post-progressive" section, I think it should have, but I also think that at this moment it is not possible.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 20:43
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Pretty much everything released after circa 1979 could be deemed 'post prog' methinks...I mean do you take the term 'post baroque' seriously?Confused
I respect your opinion but I think that the term "post-progressive" should not be used as a determinant of time (e.g. "after 1979", etc.) because it could not work as for example Neo Prog - it was originaly & strictly British 80s prog phenomenon but now there is a lot of contemporary bands in PA Neo Prog section due to their style.

However, "post-progresive" tag could be useful for a distinctive sound. For example, listen to Skornet by Brieg Guerveno, a singer-songwriter from Saint Brieuc, France (and who actually sings in his native Breton language); that's "post-progressive" sound to me.

As for the idea that the PA should have a "post-progressive" section, I think it should have, but I also think that at this moment it is not possible.

I was just being my usual snide and facetious self Svetonio - the baroque part should have alerted youWink. On a more serious note: If the wider progressive music community (whatever that may be, but which neither Micky or myself are convinced PA plays a part) deems 'post-progressive' as reflecting developments in the real world, then yes, perhaps it does have some value as indicating a distinctive contemporary sound.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 12 2015 at 20:50
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 20:49

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I respect your opinion but I think that the term "post-progressive" should not be used as a determinant of time "after 1979", etc.) because it could not work as for example Neo Prog - it was originaly & strictly British 80s prog phenomenon but now there is a lot of contemporary bands in PA Neo Prog section due to their style.

I was just being my usual snide and facetious self Svetonio - the baroque part should have been the clincherWink. On a more serious note: If the wider progressive music community (whatever that may be, and as Micky states, of which I'm not entirely convinced PA is a part) deems 'post-progressive' as reflecting developments in the real world, then yes, perhaps it does have some value as indicating a distinctive contemporary sound.
Actually, I do not know when you're joking, when serious, and when you're drunk when you mention baroque LOL
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 20:51

If the wider progressive music community (whatever that may be, but as Micky states, of which neither of us is convinced PA plays any part) deems 'post-progressive' as reflecting developments in the real world, then yes, perhaps it does have some value as indicating a distinctive contemporary sound.

In discussing this topic with prog fans around the web, most accept that what I have defined as post-prog is a thing and needs to become a thing, most of the skeptics just hate the name.

Which is a valid point, the name sucks. A few people think we should call it "Alternative Prog" but that implies a direct fusion of alternative and progressive, which isn't necessarily the case.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 20:57
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

If the wider progressive music community (whatever that may be, but as Micky states, of which neither of us is convinced PA plays any part) deems 'post-progressive' as reflecting developments in the real world, then yes, perhaps it does have some value as indicating a distinctive contemporary sound.

In discussing this topic with prog fans around the web, most accept that what I have defined as post-prog is a thing and needs to become a thing, most of the skeptics just hate the name.

Which is a valid point, the name sucks. A few people think we should call it "Alternative Prog" but that implies a direct fusion of alternative and progressive, which isn't necessarily the case.

I've heard the term "new prog" used the way you've been using "post-prog".
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 20:59
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Yes but we unanimously threw that one out as garbage because a) it's no better and b) people constantly got it mixed up with neo-prog, which is totally different
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:00

"Post-prog" sucks, but "post-progressive" doesn't, imo.
"Alternative prog" sucks a lot  and without a doubt.

Edited by Svetonio - January 12 2015 at 21:01
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:10

Yes but we unanimously threw that one out as garbage because a) it's no better and b) people constantly got it mixed up with neo-prog, which is totally different

As a term new prog is a thousand times better than post-prog. Using post prog completely ignores the rules of the usage of the term post in music going back to the late '70's. It is therefore much more confusing than trying to remember the difference between the words new and neo.

Remember, post means the experimental edge of a genre. Prog is mainly experimental. Term is therefore redundant and useless. 

Though for reference, new prog is itself bad by way of it being a very hair-splitting term. It's just an out for haters of Coheed and Muse to separate them as much as possible from symph that somehow has traction outside of those circles. And the confusion between new and neo is of course real. Post prog is just an even worse term for the same thing.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:21

As a term new prog is a thousand times better than post-prog. Using post prog completely ignores the rules of the usage of the term post in music going back to the late '70's. It is therefore much more confusing than trying to remember the difference between the words new and neo.

I'm unaware of this "rule of usage", I must say. Post-, to my knowledge, has always meant a development after a genre that has links to the original but isn't really it. Basically to keep a link to a genre without having to come up with an entirely new name. Post-rock and post-hardcore were hardly "experimental", and post-punk's link to punk music is incredibly vague.

I just see it as a bullsh*t term that we use whenever we can't think of a decent name. And let's face it - the hardest part of making new genres is the name.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:26

I'm unaware of this "rule of usage", I must say. Post-, to my knowledge, has always meant a development after a genre that has links to the original but isn't really it. Basically to keep a link to a genre without having to come up with an entirely new name. Post-rock and post-hardcore were hardly "experimental", and post-punk's link to punk music is incredibly vague.

I just see it as a bullsh*t term that we use whenever we can't think of a decent name. And let's face it - the hardest part of making new genres is the name.

Post-Punk only vaguely related to punk? Post-Punk and Post-Hardcore not experimental??? Words fail me. They just fail me.

And another thing: even if it's only new trends in a genre... then, as Ian sarcastically said earlier, all modern prog is post-prog. Clearly this term has not been well thought out by anybody.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:31

Post-Punk only vaguely related to punk? Post-Punk and Post-Hardcore not experimental??? Words fail me. They just fail me.

And another thing: even if it's only new trends in a genre... then, as Ian sarcastically said earlier, all modern prog is post-prog. Clearly this term has not been well thought out by anybody.

There is no such thing as a well thought-out genre term. I think we should just pick one and move on, because as usual, the discussion points towards the name and not the style. The entire point of us pushing post-prog is just because we need a name to work under. There are no rules of genre names nor have there ever been.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 21:44

There is no such thing as a well thought-out genre term. I think we should just pick one and move on, because as usual, the discussion points towards the name and not the style. The entire point of us pushing post-prog is just because we need a name to work under. There are no rules of genre names nor have there ever been.

Alright, I'll nominate "alt prog".

Really, you have a point in that genre terms are often not well thought out. Post does before "art" mean "after". I'm pretty sure the term prog was just lifted wholesale from the old, freeform radio format that was referred to as Progressive. I just want to make sure things don't get more confusing, but what can I do? Linguistics is linguistics. If "post-prog" lands, then oh well.

And no sense letting any of this divide us.Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>