Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg, Rolling Stone & Class Distinctions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 12:41
^I agree. Politically, RS was very good at times. It's just to bad they couldn't apply the same care and passion to the reporting of popular music. Amazing.

Edited by SteveG - January 15 2015 at 12:45
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 14:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^For me personally, Doc, I consider RS to be America's most popular rock music publication.

That RS was never about prog, and the reasons why, is the problem.

In addition, this is also important to the amateur music historian in me as it helps to put progressive rock's popularity, or lack of same, into perspective. 

Why should they be about prog?
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 14:42
^Because in the 1970's, Prog was radio and big record sells popular, but ignored by RS in favor of everything else. Why? And what future effect did that have on Prog Rock?

Edited by SteveG - January 15 2015 at 14:54
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 15:29
I think the main reason why magazines such as Rolling Stone neglect prog is that these magazines are not as much about music but about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, i.e. scandals of rock and pop stars.  And these are things progressive rock bands are rarely notorious of.  They are simply too disciplined, otherwise they could not make such sophisticated music.  Look at it: Pop star dies of drug overdose, aged 27 is "interesting" news; New masterpiece in sonata form is not.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 15:32
Funny, I don't recall RS's patron saint Bruce Springsteen having any sex, drugs and rock & roll scandals.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 15:35

Funny, I don't recall RS's patron saint Bruce Springsteen having any sex, drugs and rock & roll scandals.

Well, then I have missed ;)

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 15:43
^Not to sound condescending, but RS pampers to what's hip to kids like hip hop, Beyoncé and the like.

Anything musical that lacks substance or social commentary. Or talent.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 16:01
Like I said. Suck!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 03:10
I come from an American perspective certainly. I ask, though, when did it become the case that geeks were to be understood as elitists? Believe me Rush fans were regarded as the former and not the latter. I mean seriously, quoting the classics is something you can do without being upper class. Zappa did it just fine. Yes, it requires some sort knowledge base, but surely even in England the lower classes had some amongst the ranks with some affinity for exercising their intellect.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 03:38
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I come from an American perspective certainly. I ask, though, when did it become the case that geeks were to be understood as elitists? Believe me Rush fans were regarded as the former and not the latter. I mean seriously, quoting the classics is something you can do without being upper class. Zappa did it just fine. Yes, it requires some sort knowledge base, but surely even in England the lower classes had some amongst the ranks with some affinity for exercising their intellect.
Of course, exceptions to the rules always exist and for sure it is in 70s England that there was some indivuduals who were happily whistling Wonderous Stories, Songs From The Wood  or The Lady Lies while waiting for the Unemployment Benefit, Form 40.

Edited by Svetonio - January 18 2015 at 04:02
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 11:31
Rolling Stone is the the Fox News of music journalism. It is outright Goebbal-ism for them to proclaim a moral high ground over any perceived musical class warfare.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 11:33
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I come from an American perspective certainly. I ask, though, when did it become the case that geeks were to be understood as elitists? ...

Pol Pot? 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 12:02

Springsteen was a geographically accepted performer. There is, or was, a definite New York bias in Rolling Stone and affiliated rags like The Village Voice ("The Dean" of a**hole critics Robert Christgau, also once a contributor to RS). Prog was never a New York establishment thing. The anti-intellectualism coming from their reviews is palpable; hence, the acceptance of disco, hip-hop and punk (thanks to NY artists like The New York Dolls and The Ramones). The band The Rolling Stones was savaged by Rolling Stones the magazine for albums like Goats Head Soup and Black and Blue, but they got huge erections for Some Girls with its disco nod to Studio 54. Make a song about New York, and chances are RS rated the album positively (Billy Joel and The Eagles come to mind).  

There has always been an agenda at RS. It is not hidden, but relatively blatant.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 12:16
^Rolling Stone contributor John Landau  became manager for The Boss after the album Born To Run went ballistic.

Coincidence?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 13:04

^Rolling Stone contributor John Landau  became manager for The Boss after the album Born To Run went ballistic.

Coincidence?
No, it's not. And I've referred to how much I loathe Robert Christgau as well. Here's a man who listed his five greatest performers/bands of all-time as:

1. Louis Armstrong (okay, makes sense)
2. Thelonious Monk (again, great jazz pianist, no argument)
3. Chuck Berry (certainly, from a rock 'n' roll standpoint)
4. The Beatles (without question)
5. The New York Dolls (ummm...what the f*ck?)

In addition, other critics at RS, including Robert Marsh and publisher Jann Wenner are notoriously anti-prog (and they control the RRHOF). Lester Bangs hung out with The Ramones and even started a band with Joey Ramone's brother (regrettably putrid and releasing one album). How do you expect any prog band to receive anything but derision from the likes of them?

Oh, but f*cking Joan Jett is in the Hall of Fame! For what, sucking d*ck?

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 18 2015 at 13:06
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 13:28
Ha Ha NY Dolls! I walked out on their show once, as soon as they appeared on stage in drag. Bowie is one thing. But these guys were not 5 David Bowies! LOL
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 14:21
This is a great topic, but really, people from any economic class can like any kind of music.   You might
posit that prog attracts some of the meritocracy, who believe in getting ahead in life based on merit.
I think classical attracts more of the upper economic classes.  I believe there is another class system based
on ethics, as does everyone else probably.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

I think the main reason why magazines such as Rolling Stone neglect prog is that these magazines are not as much about music but about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, i.e. scandals of rock and pop stars. 

Nah, I think it's simpler: Rolling Stone was an American mag, comprised of mainly American critics, and therefore promoted American music, and behind that, Americna ideology. Rolling Stone's notions of rock was pretty conservative: if music strayed from its country music and blues roots (i.e. Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis), then it was needlessly highbrow and "European." (Anyone remember how strongly Rolling Stone promoted Bob Seger, Tom Petty and Jackson Browne as rock's "saviors"?!?!)

Prog is mainly European. Sure, there's the odd Canadian prog band (Rush), the odd American prog band (Kansas), the odd Japanese prog band, etc. - but it's still largely a European genre (UK, Italy, Germany).

If anyone was in the US after 9/11 and saw all those American TV reporters wearing their little American flag pins on their suits and ties, then you know that nationality trumps any other loyalties, whether it be to Truth, journalistic standards and integrity, or musical aesthetics. Music critics are no different. (Even British music critics look down their noses at, say, French popular music, and treat it with, at worst, derision, and at best, patronizing bemusement.)

Edited by jude111 - January 18 2015 at 15:52
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 18:38
^^^  Not just French bands but American bands too.  I remember reading a rather needlessly scathing review of a Steely Dan concert, apparently written back in 1972.  I don't grudge the reviewer his opinion but he basically devoted the entire first para to arguing how American bands tended to be just an overhype unlike their (apparently far superior) peers in Britain.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 19:55
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^  Not just French bands but American bands too.  I remember reading a rather needlessly scathing review of a Steely Dan concert, apparently written back in 1972.  I don't grudge the reviewer his opinion but he basically devoted the entire first para to arguing how American bands tended to be just an overhype unlike their (apparently far superior) peers in Britain.

If you look at the imbecilic RS "500 Greatest Albums of All Time", Prog is only represented by 4 Pink Floyd albums (DSotM is the highest at #43, followed at intervals by The Wall, Wish You Were Here and Piper at the Gates of Dawn), and Jethro Tull's Aqualung at #337. That's it. There are any number of asinine albums strewn like cow sh*te across a pasture, but that is all you get if you love prog.

No Yes, no Genesis (although Peter Gabriel's So shows up late), no King Crimson, no ELP and no Rush. Look for yourself:

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 18 2015 at 19:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>