FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvice on Cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 16:09
Not that I am a big fan of youtube for audio gear, but there are some video sound bites that people made using Nagaoka MP-110 carts, look them up, might help your decision process.
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 03:13
Thank you once again, your remark about the brightness of the AT has eliminated it for me.
I am now close to a decision between the Nagaoka and the Ortofon 2M red.

Edited by Roxbrough - January 27 2015 at 03:13
Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 05:56
Nagaoka MP110

An affordable cartridge at just £62, the Nagaoka MP-110 tracks at a nominal 1.8g.

We found its square casing easy to fit and align, and from the outset our sample gave a bright, immediate sound that would work well in pepping up a dull system.

The MP-110 reveals a sweet midrange, although we'd like some more bass weight to support its light and breezy character. Treble needs more refinementThe treble is also a touch edgy and not quite as refined as some closely priced rivals.

Ortofon M2 red

With its distinctive coloured shell, Ortofon's 2M Red fits so snugly onto the Rega tonearm he midrange is full and expressive, handling vocals with sensitivity and warmth. The bass and treble interact well here, and while we'd like more authority from the bass, it's a minor quibble that we can live with.

Like closely priced rivals, the 2M Red tracks at 1.8g, and we found it simple to fit and align, with its combination of a large, solidly built casing and captive nuts easy to manage, as it stands, it's a more-than-enjoyable listen.

Live Long and Prosper
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 06:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The house sound of AT is on the brighter side 
. This is certainly true for many AT carts, ranging from the ultrabudget AT92E to the popular (with me, at leastBig smile) AT120E to the fancier AT150E. The latter, actually, is as fright as buck. It doesn't cut off the lows; just favors the highs. 

There are two in their lineup that are more tone-neutral, the sub-$100.00 jobs AT95E and AT110E. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 11:56
Originally posted by Roxbrough Roxbrough wrote:

Nagaoka MP110

An affordable cartridge at just £62, the Nagaoka MP-110 tracks at a nominal 1.8g.

We found its square casing easy to fit and align, and from the outset our sample gave a bright, immediate sound that would work well in pepping up a dull system.

The MP-110 reveals a sweet midrange, although we'd like some more bass weight to support its light and breezy character. Treble needs more refinementThe treble is also a touch edgy and not quite as refined as some closely priced rivals.

Ortofon M2 red

With its distinctive coloured shell, Ortofon's 2M Red fits so snugly onto the Rega tonearm he midrange is full and expressive, handling vocals with sensitivity and warmth. The bass and treble interact well here, and while we'd like more authority from the bass, it's a minor quibble that we can live with.

Like closely priced rivals, the 2M Red tracks at 1.8g, and we found it simple to fit and align, with its combination of a large, solidly built casing and captive nuts easy to manage, as it stands, it's a more-than-enjoyable listen.

The MP-110 has plenty of low end, not sure where this review came from. On the mids and highs sure it is not as refined as say the MP-200 which is a $300 cartridge, so makes sense. I have both the MP-110 and MP-200 and there is a big difference.
The square body is excellent for alignment process, this is true, makes it a breeze lining up in a grid box.

I was given a Ortofon 2M Red and it lasted only 1 week on my tonearm, I did not like it, too bright for my taste.

Again, just depends what you are looking for in sound, I suspect you would be happy with either one.
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 05:37
I have made a change by getting the rega phono stage and now using the amp's line level input.
It's an upgrade!
Fuller sound, better depth to the sound stage.
I am still after a cartridge, but the difference in the system has now forced me to re-evuluate my list.
I will keep you informed and thanks for your very valuable input along the way.
Live Long and Prosper
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:15
^ Then yes you will be better served with a higher up cartridge, if not, the improvement you just made will be lost.
Which phono stage did you get?
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 04:35
I got the lowest in the range.

Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:22
I have now fitted an Ortofon 2M Red into the arm.
The result is fantastic!
More detail, better width to the soundstage.
Superbly controlled frequency extremes.
I listened to Gazpacho - Tick Tock [180gram three sider]
and Pendragon - Passion [180gram three sider orange version]
Both left me breathless.
I suspect the 2M is a perfect match for the RB250 and the amp.
Live Long and Prosper
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 15:47

I have now fitted an Ortofon 2M Red into the arm.
The result is fantastic!
More detail, better width to the soundstage.
Superbly controlled frequency extremes.
I listened to Gazpacho - Tick Tock [180gram three sider]
and Pendragon - Passion [180gram three sider orange version]
Both left me breathless.
I suspect the 2M is a perfect match for the RB250 and the amp.

Nice!!.......Yea, save your pennies as you will get the upgrade bug again on that phono stage for even more WOW moments

I calculate the resonance frequency of your arm and cartridge at about 7.8, ideal range is said to be 9-12Hz but I am not 100% sure of the total weight of the 2M Red with screws and all. Final test is your ears though, as long as you have it well aligned to minimize IGD you should have the 2M Red maximized.

Enjoy and keep spinning that stuff!! Clap
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:25
Nice!!.......Yea, save your pennies as you will get the upgrade bug again on that phono stage for even more WOW moments

I calculate the resonance frequency of your arm and cartridge at about 7.8, ideal range is said to be 9-12Hz but I am not 100% sure of the total weight of the 2M Red with screws and all. Final test is your ears though, as long as you have it well aligned to minimize IGD you should have the 2M Red maximized.

Enjoy and keep spinning that stuff!! Clap

My next upgrade will be the 2M blue stylus as the body on both is the same.
I then plan to play blue for new
red for second hand.
Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 08:46
Just debuted the 2M blue stylus, playing Ian Anderson's - Homo Erraticus.
Very very good indeed.
I have now put a PR6 on order as I think the cartridge deserves a better arm.
Live Long and Prosper
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 09:17

The current sound is slightly thin.
Would a cartridge of this price make sense given the modest price of the turntable?

Good question ... but I can tell you that my $275 dollar Stanton 681EEE something or other that I bought in 1979 lasted 25 years on my Pioneer PL12 something or other (was high end turntable in 1980!), and while I have bought a very nice USB turntable by Stanton, I have not, YET, purchased a catridge that should match the quality of the albums.

Stanton, does not seem to make these anymore (why, right?), and the cartridges they show, for some reason do not stand out at all, and appear to be that good. Maybe it is that the design itself is still the same!

I always thought that the difference between music and crap was a good turntable, cartridge and speakers! In those days! Tangerine Dream jumped and went around your head silly ... the Rolling Stones were just loud by comparison!

Edited by moshkito - February 03 2015 at 09:22
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 09:17

Very very good indeed.

You mean a Rega RP6? Well, you will need a much higher up cartridge than a 2M Red or 2M Blue, if you are gonna stick with Ortofon then you should look at the 2M Black. The 2M Black has a shibata stylus and digs deep in the groove to reveal more music but that phono stage will be your brick wall. You should do more research......

I can tell you have the bug Big smile, don't panic buy, research, research, research.....

Have fun! 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 09:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

The current sound is slightly thin.
Would a cartridge of this price make sense given the modest price of the turntable?

Good question ... but I can tell you that my $275 dollar Stanton 681EEE something or other that I bought in 1979 lasted 25 years on my Pioneer PL12 something or other (was high end turntable in 1980!), and while I have bought a very nice USB turntable by Stanton, I have not, YET, purchased a catridge that should match the quality of the albums.

Stanton, does not seem to make these anymore (why, right?), and the cartridges they show, for some reason do not stand out at all, and appear to be that good. Maybe it is that the design itself is still the same!

I always thought that the difference between music and crap was a good turntable, cartridge and speakers! In those days! Tangerine Dream jumped and went around your head silly ... the Rolling Stones were just loud by comparison!

You are spot on Pedro.....Clap
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 13:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I would question your order there and put it this way;
turntable, cartridge, amp and finally speakers.
If you lose it earlier in the chain no speaker is going to claw it back, it's a physical impossibility.
Live Long and Prosper
Roxbrough View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 13:05

Very very good indeed.

You mean a Rega RP6? Well, you will need a much higher up cartridge than a 2M Red or 2M Blue, if you are gonna stick with Ortofon then you should look at the 2M Black. 
I can tell you have the bug Big smile, don't panic buy, research, research, research..... 
Have fun! 

Yes the rega PR6. I believe in turntable/cartridge/amp/speaker order, so it makes sense to me to get the platform first. I've jumped the boat a bit with the 2M blue, but feel it will blossom in the RP6. I will then look at a different phono amp, but as my MF A3 has a phono input too, don't know which way that will go yet.
Live Long and Prosper
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 15:57
Again, it's Rega RP6, not PR6 Big smile. I am not a Rega fan, but I still think the RP6 would need a higher up cartridge to take advantage of the higher end turntable, that RB303 tonearm would give you better reproduction with a 2M Black and of course a higher end phono stage.

Not pushing you to spend more money, but rather research the myriads of choices you have. Getting an RP6 almost requires you to spend more coin on a cartridge.......I mean you would not buy an Audi R8 and put small 13" tires on it....Thumbs Down
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 16:27

Again, it's Rega RP6, not PR6 Big smile
Nothing escapes your attention, huh Geek

I mean you would not buy an Audi R8 and put small 13" tires on it....Thumbs Down 
 Maybe not on R8, but ...

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/01/CC-79-044-800.jpg

I always thought that the difference between music and crap was a good turntable, cartridge and speakers!

Yeah, fo'sho, but .. consider these: I removed floor rugs, tilted the speakers about 5 degrees, moved a house plant a couple of feet away and my chair - 6' to the left.  Now, where I sit - either at the desk, or in the dedicated chair, I am getting more lows and highs and the whole sound stage has cleared up quite a bit.

Edited by Argonaught - February 03 2015 at 16:53
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 17:29
^ Nope.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>