Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater - Metropolis Part 2 (Concept?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2 (Concept?)
    Posted: January 15 2015 at 08:51
Hey, would someone explain me the concept of this album? That'd be amazing Big smile

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1672

Cheers 

Edited by Hemis - January 15 2015 at 08:52
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 08:58
Yeah, just watch the movie "Dead Again".
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 14:17

Search online and you will find explanations of the concept.......Murder/Mystery/Love Triangle/Reincarnation..

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 15:53
It's better listening to it a few times and letting it sink in (as long as you read the lyrics). If you really want to find out before hearing it (like I did), there's a mahusive entry on Wikipedia that gives you a pretty great picture of what the album's about, but basically:

It starts with a guy going to the hypnotherapist, which kind of sets the scene in the lyrics. He has a recurring memory of seeing this house, and having some strong connection with it. Later, he finds out there was a murder in this house, and you eventually see this love triangle developing. He then figures out he was this murdered girl in a past life who'd been reincarnated, and goes to her tombstone. The final song I won't completely give away, but there's kind of a twist if you haven't heard it yet. 

Hope that helps!  
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 16:48
It's best to go through it yourself bit by bit, that's more satisfying than someone telling you straight away, but I will spoil it for you. Without going into details, the final key is that the hypnotizer is the reincarnation of Edward and so he kills Nicholas repeating what he had done with his previous-life-incarnation Victoria.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 18:29
hahhaha

read my review of it for ALL you need to know about the albums concept ...the music.. the voice..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hemis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 18:56
Thanks for the tips and the words. I have heard the album of course, a few times but it takes time to fully understand a concept

Cheers!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 19:00
Originally posted by Hemis Hemis wrote:

Thanks for the tips and the words. I have heard the album of course, a few times but it takes time to fully understand a concept

Cheers!

all I can say is.... good luck LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hemis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 19:07
Thanks. It sounds interesting, the concept. And surely the instrumental is..
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 00:12
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

It's best to go through it yourself bit by bit, that's more satisfying than someone telling you straight away, but I will spoil it for you. Without going into details, the final key is that the hypnotizer is the reincarnation of Edward and so he kills Nicholas repeating what he had done with his previous-life-incarnation Victoria.
I knew it was about "reincarnation" and stuff, but had no idea about this twist!  I just don't "get" lyrics so often.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 04:47
Its basically tragedy involving an affair with a twist ending. It fails at conveying any themes or "concepts", its characters are poorly written, and the events leading up to the tragedy are very predictable. In short its just a bunch of cliches tied together with music that can only be described as "metal meets movie score". Oh and the twist was really stupid.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 05:42
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahhaha

read my review of it for ALL you need to know about the albums concept ...the music.. the voice..
I Michael, out of curiosity I read it and I'm really curious as to why did you rate it with 4 stars when apparently you despise it?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 06:23

hahhaha

I Michael, out of curiosity I read it and I'm really curious as to why did you rate it with 4 stars when apparently you despise it?

Smile  ahhh.  Therein was the whole point of the review.  Who cares if I didn't like the album, one reason I have so few negative reviews.  Too many good one not reviewed to waste time sh*tting and pissing on one I obviously did not like.

However while some saw the review as a poke in the eye of DT fan, some saw, and my real intent was to poke the site in the eye.  I was a strong proponent of removing those stupid ratings and even more stupid ***** - masterpiece of prog rock etc etc descriptors. The first problem is the emphasis or onus of the review, is not upon what the reviewer actually writes, but what rating they attached to it.  It was sort of silly, so I piled on to it to try to show that.  4 or 5 stars to complete sh*t-stains of albums, I didn't like it but it is a classic masterpiece of prog rock. But who has ever said it has to be GOOD to be masterpiece.

conversely.. and much less inflamatorily I also rated some albums I loved 1 or 2 starts. I loved them, but only die hard hard fans of the artist should get them. Regardless of how much I loved them, no way IN HELL they should be rated 4 or 5 stars.

so long story to expain that. I was never going to win the fight to remove the ratings feature from the reviews, but the fun is in the fight itself. Smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 07:59

hahhaha

Smile  ahhh.  Therein was the whole point of the review.  Who cares if I didn't like the album, one reason I have so few negative reviews.  Too many good one not reviewed to waste time sh*tting and pissing on one I obviously did not like.

However while some saw the review as a poke in the eye of DT fan, some saw, and my real intent was to poke the site in the eye.  I was a strong proponent of removing those stupid ratings and even more stupid ***** - masterpiece of prog rock etc etc descriptors. The first problem is the emphasis or onus of the review, is not upon what the reviewer actually writes, but what rating they attached to it.  It was sort of silly, so I piled on to it to try to show that.  4 or 5 stars to complete sh*t-stains of albums, I didn't like it but it is a classic masterpiece of prog rock. But who has ever said it has to be GOOD to be masterpiece.

conversely.. and much less inflamatorily I also rated some albums I loved 1 or 2 starts. I loved them, but only die hard hard fans of the artist should get them. Regardless of how much I loved them, no way IN HELL they should be rated 4 or 5 stars.

so long story to expain that. I was never going to win the fight to remove the ratings feature from the reviews, but the fun is in the fight itself. Smile
Funny approach, but yeah, I'm not going to argue, TX for the reply and peace Tongue 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 08:03
yeah.. it served it purpose at the time.  Got some laughs from those who saw what I was doing.. got the panties in a twist of those who didn't and reporting my review to the poor admin team.

ahh...good times...
 Post Reply Post Reply