Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrateful Phish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grateful Phish
    Posted: January 16 2015 at 10:29
Last chance to see the Dead. 

Or at least a group of old men who are referring to themselves by that legendary name.  For some, there is no Grateful Dead without Jerry.   But there's this....

"This summer, the four living original members of The Grateful Dead will reunite for three shows to mark the band's 50th anniversary, and Phish's Trey Anastasio will help them celebrate.

Billboard reports that the three shows will take place July 3, 4 and 5 at Soldier Field in Chicago. The last show the band did with the late Jerry Garcia was at Soldier Field, on July 9, 1995. Garcia died in August of that year.

Bob Weir tells Billboard "These will be the last shows with the four of us together," referring to himself, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann and Phil Lesh."

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 11:10
Wonder who they're getting on keyboards.

Sounds like a great show. I have no doubt Trey will fill the lead guitar chair admirably.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 13:35
Hi Steve....keys will be Hornsby

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Hi Steve....keys will be Hornsby
Good, I was hoping he might be.  All the other keyboardists they've had are dead. :(  (...Except maybe Tom Constanten.. wonder what he's up to. ....) And getting someone like Michael McDonald would probably be a bad idea.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 19:29
I'm pre-packing my bags to see this. Thank you for telling me. Big smile
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 19:39
Dang, thinking about going.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 08:42
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I'm pre-packing my bags to see this. Thank you for telling me. Big smile

You betcha.  Will be interesting to see how they handle the tickets for this.  With only 3 shows and the massive interest this will generate, it's gonna be crazy.  They've always been keen on trying to be fair to the fans, hopefully you can get tix without having to take out a small loan.  Tongue

earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 09:40
Probably best suited for General Music Discussions forum (although you would probably love to see the band added to PA. Nice try though) Wink

Edited by earlyprog - January 17 2015 at 09:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 09:57
Well I put it here because of the Phish/Trey connection....I don't mind if they move it.

As for the Dead, I'm not one to freak out about whether a band is included.  But it certainly wouldn't bother me to see the Dead next to Jefferson Airplane.  Same with Joni, she far more progressive than many of our artists. 

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:28
I think it's related because of Trey and Phish. Sure, Grateful Dead isn't on here (and rightly so I suppose), but Phish is, so I think it's justified. Wink
http://fryingpanmedia.com
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:41

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 10:44

Hi,

Have never, for one reason or another, been a fan of this band.

But the respect I have for them is above and beyond a lot of things that have become the history of rock music, and yet, it never affected, or hurt this band, and they continued on as ever, and no one was angry about it.

That says more for the integrity of the band and its work, than anything else.

They were the one band that never worried or bothered about bootlegs and even was known to allow folks to plug in to their board when there was room. And in the end, they became one of the richest bands around!

There is one side of it that has always been excellent. Their sound, on stage, was by far the best I have ever heard in my life until the last few years when digital finally cleaned up a lot of the hisses and humms to make the listening a bit more pleasurable. it was never an issue, if the note was wrong, and the band went off on an elliptical path on the song, and no one ever complained about ... play hit A ... and in so many ways, this is what "music" should be all about, even though, I barely own one album by this band ... I think I have Terrapin Station, because of that unbelievably beautiful song in it.

All in all, I hope the concert goes off in massive tryumph and that they do expand and trip around their material, and that ... for once, they extend their jams to a great degree to show people that 3 and 4 hour shows were OK and fun to do, and not boring.

Best of luck, and yes Bob, it won't be the last time you all will be together ... you all are already together in an unimaginable way in another place ... but the legacy that you leave behind is one of the few ... and one that should be respected, for its honesty and above all, your human side and beauty ... that most rock bands have no idea how to show and apprecaite other than their riches!

Edited by moshkito - January 18 2015 at 10:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 10:59
Nicely stated Pedro. 

They are a truly unique band for many reasons.  Their own attitudes towards the music and the fans, but also the fans towards them.  Back in the day the fans didn't care about hearing certain "faves"...they just wanted to hear the interplay between the musicians, wherever it took them.  The fans were incredibly patient with them and they were rewarded by being treated like part of the family.  My favorite albums are the more grounded ones like Wake of the Flood and American Beauty, which I think is one of the greatest albums in my collection. 

When I read this news story I noted that Phil Lesh will be 75 years old when these gigs arrive.  I'm not a big fan of geezer rock in general but I have to say, if anyone could do something interesting at that age, it might be these guys. 

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2015 at 13:23
That the Grateful Dead is not on PA is a mystery to me - the Airplane and Phish but no Dead?  Strange, without the Dead and their progressive ethic, neither band would exist today.  They were doing side long psychadelic expiriments before 95% of the bands on PA even started!  Electronica, psychadelia, fusion, prog folk, crossover, symphonic....the Dead were at the forefront of each genre but get no respect on PA?  Is there a bias against American hippie music?  If so, why the Airplane?  Most on PA think the Dead were simply a country-blues-jam band - nonsense!  Any fan of the Dead knows they belong....in fact, they should've been one of the first bands nominated for the site. 

I have no horse in this race, I just wish more people were open to the progressive giants known as the Grateful Dead.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 00:58
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

That the Grateful Dead is not on PA is a mystery to me - the Airplane and Phish but no Dead?  Strange, without the Dead and their progressive ethic, neither band would exist today.  They were doing side long psychadelic expiriments before 95% of the bands on PA even started!  Electronica, psychadelia, fusion, prog folk, crossover, symphonic....the Dead were at the forefront of each genre but get no respect on PA?  Is there a bias against American hippie music?  If so, why the Airplane?  Most on PA think the Dead were simply a country-blues-jam band - nonsense!  Any fan of the Dead knows they belong....in fact, they should've been one of the first bands nominated for the site. 

I have no horse in this race, I just wish more people were open to the progressive giants known as the Grateful Dead.
I agree that it's a kind of mistery why the Grateful Dead is not in PA's Proto Prog / Prog Related section. At least, the Grateful Dead were released three prog albums that are THE masterpieces of our beloved genre; From The Mars Hotel (1974), Blues For Allah (1975) and Terrapin Station (1977) are prog folk at its best!

Edited by Svetonio - January 22 2015 at 01:13
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 23:20
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I agree that it's a kind of mistery why the Grateful Dead is not in PA's Proto Prog / Prog Related section. At least, the Grateful Dead were released three prog albums that are THE masterpieces of our beloved genre; From The Mars Hotel (1974), Blues For Allah (1975) and Terrapin Station (1977) are prog folk at its best!

Mars Hotel is eclectic prog to my ears and AOXOMOXOA makes the grade as Psychedelic/Space Rock.  How can the Airplane qualify but not the Dead?  Agree the Dead should be on PA Wink

Post Reply Post Reply