Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNate Scoble (U.S.) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nate Scoble (U.S.) for Prog Folk
    Posted: January 17 2015 at 00:52

Nate Scoble is a solo artist from Los Angeles, California.

released 15 July 2007 

Nate Scoble — guitar, voice 
Spencer Savage — drums, percussion 
Michael Gordon — saxophone 
Rebecca Lynn — violin 
Nilsie Shields — bass 
Words and music by Nate Scoble 
Arranged by Nate Scoble 
Engineered by Mark Wheaton at Catasonic Studios, Los Angeles

"FIRELIGHT is my most 'American' work to date, and hopefully it lets lovers of folk, rock, pop, jazz, fusion, and 'art' and 'world' music come together and swim in one big happy pond. 

This work was recorded from 2001 to 2007, with my LOVEGIVER bandmates Spencer Savage on drums and percussion and Michael Gordon on saxophone, in the able atmosphere of Catasonic Studios, Mark Wheaton engineering. A blazing violin solo was needed in 'Firelight' (track 01) and Rebecca Lynn provided exactly that; she is also heard in 'Soledad'. 

I composed most of the songs in a brief mad burst in early 2000 as I greeted the new millienium after life-changing personal events. 'Spiderfly' was written some two years earlier; 'Sunset' in 2001, and 'The Tenants' filled out the procession in 2004. 

I should have posted these songs much sooner, style consistency be damned. Oh well. You know what? It's all Me, because it's all WE. 

Thanks, Spencer and Mike. Your playing has been fantastic. It's been great making music with you
". 

Nate Scoble 
January 16, 2015

Firelight album by Nate Scoble was released May 12, 2008 on the Nate Scoble label. Nate Scoble co-founded The Blue Daisies with Nic Greene in 1982 after graduating from Otis/Parsons. Firelight buy CD music Loud, visceral, and arty in equal measure, the Daisies contributed significantly to the LA postpunk music scene, adding Jeffrey Poe, Brad Laner, and later, Steve Stain, to their lineup. What Makes Donna Twirl? Firelight songs took Nate's liquid, frenetic guitar and vocals into new territory, with Spencer Savage briefly along for the ride. Firelight album for sale Following further projects, Nate penned Startron and the Love Ring, an 'avant-rock opera', and performed it at Glaxa Studios with Spencer's distinctive percussion and drumming contributing to great effect. Since then, the two have continued to collaborate, with Mike Gordon joining them on sax, on the Firelight and Trystram Street song cycles. These last works see the music continue to broaden and often become calmly introspective, ranging from traditional folk-rock influences through jazz and into 'prog'- and 'art-music' streams and pastures.

Edited by Svetonio - January 17 2015 at 01:00
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 23:10
Listened to this and enjoyed it. Prog Folk isn't one of my strong points, so any comments I make here are pretty worthless really...but this guy seems worth a punt to my own inexperienced ears. The Firelight album was described in one review as "for fans of The Incredible String Band", and they are already included on the site. This post will bump the topic anyway, and maybe Bob or Ken will spot it this time around and set us straight on the matter. Embarrassed
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2015 at 02:28
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Nate Scoble is a solo artist from Los Angeles, California.

released 15 July 2007 

Nate Scoble — guitar, voice 
Spencer Savage — drums, percussion 
Michael Gordon — saxophone 
Rebecca Lynn — violin 
Nilsie Shields — bass 
Words and music by Nate Scoble 
Arranged by Nate Scoble 
Engineered by Mark Wheaton at Catasonic Studios, Los Angeles

"FIRELIGHT is my most 'American' work to date, and hopefully it lets lovers of folk, rock, pop, jazz, fusion, and 'art' and 'world' music come together and swim in one big happy pond. 

This work was recorded from 2001 to 2007, with my LOVEGIVER bandmates Spencer Savage on drums and percussion and Michael Gordon on saxophone, in the able atmosphere of Catasonic Studios, Mark Wheaton engineering. A blazing violin solo was needed in 'Firelight' (track 01) and Rebecca Lynn provided exactly that; she is also heard in 'Soledad'. 

I composed most of the songs in a brief mad burst in early 2000 as I greeted the new millienium after life-changing personal events. 'Spiderfly' was written some two years earlier; 'Sunset' in 2001, and 'The Tenants' filled out the procession in 2004. 

I should have posted these songs much sooner, style consistency be damned. Oh well. You know what? It's all Me, because it's all WE. 

Thanks, Spencer and Mike. Your playing has been fantastic. It's been great making music with you
". 

Nate Scoble 
January 16, 2015

Firelight album by Nate Scoble was released May 12, 2008 on the Nate Scoble label. Nate Scoble co-founded The Blue Daisies with Nic Greene in 1982 after graduating from Otis/Parsons. Firelight buy CD music Loud, visceral, and arty in equal measure, the Daisies contributed significantly to the LA postpunk music scene, adding Jeffrey Poe, Brad Laner, and later, Steve Stain, to their lineup. What Makes Donna Twirl? Firelight songs took Nate's liquid, frenetic guitar and vocals into new territory, with Spencer Savage briefly along for the ride. Firelight album for sale Following further projects, Nate penned Startron and the Love Ring, an 'avant-rock opera', and performed it at Glaxa Studios with Spencer's distinctive percussion and drumming contributing to great effect. Since then, the two have continued to collaborate, with Mike Gordon joining them on sax, on the Firelight and Trystram Street song cycles. These last works see the music continue to broaden and often become calmly introspective, ranging from traditional folk-rock influences through jazz and into 'prog'- and 'art-music' streams and pastures.

tried to get rid of the oldest  backlog of the PF team, and this one gets also a maybe (like Bob)

Yeah, folk is part of the music (but it's hardly the only influence), the zaniness giving it a certain proggy twist, but is ot "prog" and furthermore, is "prog folk" or "folk prog"? definitely not sure.
I'd say that team like crossover or ecclectic should first get a chance to peek an earful at this before we make it ours (maybe... I'm not convinced more than that).

Edited by Sean Trane - July 12 2015 at 02:30
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 08:01
Nate Scoble has been added to Prog Folk.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
 Post Reply Post Reply