Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Journey to the center of the Earth: Rick Wakeman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJourney to the center of the Earth: Rick Wakeman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journey to the center of the Earth: Rick Wakeman
    Posted: January 17 2015 at 11:41
Wakeman's 1974 live tour de force. Whats your opion on JttCotE?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 13:09
I like it a lot, lots of great melodies/harmonies, maybe my favorite Wakeman album, but it suffers from a terrible sound/production, and because of that I much prefer the 2012 remake.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 17:58
This album is a gem !! My only criticism is the occasional weak vocal here and there, but other than that, such an adventure. There's a 30th anniversary DVD of the production available as well, with a bonus round-table commentary of most involved and that's great as well.
I haven't chased up the recent version as yet.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 00:41
I also like this album a lot, yet I would think it falls short of a 5 star album. First, I'm not sure how much I enjoy so much narration within the music. Second, I don't really like The Forest section so much. And last, there are a few sections that are actually repeated in just about the same way twice, so it feels as if the album actually has a rather small amount of music. I much prefer Myths and Legends over this one, actually. On the other hand, I still haven't heard the new studio re-recording of this album, and I really should get it, I belive it has been somewhat expanded, so that might fix the detail about not much content of music.
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 02:17
Sure it's great, but I'm not a fan of Wakeman's solo work. I think that Six Wives Of Henry VIII is a little bit Better than Journey.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 08:45
Everything that is good or bad about progressive rock shows up in some shape or form on this album. Love it or hate it, you would be hard pressed to find a more iconic prog album.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 21:06
I've often tried playing along to the bass on this album, whilst not too complex and demanding, still some tricky parts I haven't got down as yet. Wakeman's mini-moog flights are awesome as ever.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 01:54
I enjoyed going to see it played live early last year. I think that its very much a 'show' in that regards. I would rate the album about 3 stars. I like Six Wives and King Arthur a lot more while my favourite Wakeman piece is undoubtedly Judas Iscariot. Nothing else he has done touches that.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 05:17
As I've mentioned on other threads, Silent Nights is a great album when it comes to mid-80's Pop-Prog. Wakeman had assembled a great band here. The Live At Hammersmith album proves it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 09:15
Hi,

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Got it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 09:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I enjoyed going to see it played live early last year. I think that its very much a 'show' in that regards. I would rate the album about 3 stars. I like Six Wives and King Arthur a lot more while my favourite Wakeman piece is undoubtedly Judas Iscariot. Nothing else he has done touches that.

Criminal Record is arguably Rick's single greatest solo album. He's done many other great things but that's a very special one.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Got it?

I don't understand. Can you elaborate? Tongue
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 10:35
this was my introduction to Wakeman and I love it.
I love the fiction,
I Love the musical interpretation,
and David Hemmings is one of my favourite 70's actors

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 11:00
I thought it was uneven at best with some cheesy vocals thrown in for good measure. It was obviously sweetened audibly in the studio. What stands out for me is the late, great actor David Hemmings' narration throughout. He was a bonified talent who added some momentous amount of pedigree to the affair. I remember seeing, I believe, it performed on ABC's In Concert program back in the day, and it was interesting and enjoyable.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 15:21
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Criminal Record is arguably Rick's single greatest solo album. He's done many other great things but that's a very special one.

The tracks with Squire and White are superb but maybe The Breathalyser is his Benny The Bouncer?!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 15:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Got it?

your a knob?
Moogmoods View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 15:45
Journey is one of my favourite RW albums along with Live at Hammersmith and White Rock which has a very distinct atmospheric quality to it.
The purpose of life is a life of purpose - Athena Orchard
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 18:41
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

this was my introduction to Wakeman and I love it.
I love the fiction,
I Love the musical interpretation,
and David Hemmings is one of my favourite 70's actors

A total fantasy.... David Hemmings does a superb job. On the DVD, some other guy narrates (don't recall his name) - it is fine enough, but not a patch on Hemmings. DH had the intense dramaticism and the perfect voice for the production.
I don't get Moshi's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz about it. I love many Rick solo albums, and this is in my top 5 of them.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 18:49
No one has mentioned the cool packaging - the photos/pic book in the gatefold. Dinosaurs and mugs of beer ?!?And the bluish shade of the cover. Nice. I think every 2nd-hand shop has multiple copies of it, so the artwork is embedded in the membrains (ha ha) forever.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 10:57
Hi,

Not sure why ... I think that by that time, I had so many other keyboard artists from all over Europe and the world and Rick Wakeman's stuff came off as just poor and ohhhh ... let's do this part in the moog .... ohhh let's do this part in the goom .... ohhh let's do this part in the organ ... and I lost interest.

Compare this to the loving and caring way that Tomita was doing things, and the strength and detail that Keith himself was doing, and then what TD and Schulze had already obtained ... and this was just not good enough for me.

The main problem was ... he was famous, and the others weren't ... so no one paid attention to Eberhard Schoenner, or Robert Schroeder, or JM Jarre, or Cyreille Verdeaux and so many others that were doing some magnificent things ... that were getting ignored because one guy!

I don't think it was bad ... there was a lot better stuff out there!

Edited by moshkito - January 20 2015 at 11:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>