Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Journey to the center of the Earth: Rick Wakeman
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJourney to the center of the Earth: Rick Wakeman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:08
Heck, I even got the album A Suite Of Gods (with a title like that, who could resist....?).
Now, unless you like opera singers (admittedly, this Remedios fellow isn't as bellowing as The Three Tenors), backed with uber new-age keyboard arrangements, you'll find a real turkey here. Truly cringe-worthy.
Time-Machine was an improvement, though the production sapped any life out of it, as did Ashley Holt bellowing out 'Build Me A Woman'.........(hey guys, Women aren't Leggo bricks.....)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 23:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Out There is an excellent modern contemporary keyboard album and I also like the Retro albums. I also like Rick tinkering away on his piano for the New Age trilogy (Sea Airs, Night Airs and Country Airs) . I still need to check out No Earthly Connection at some point.

Yeah, I love those ones too. As for "No Earthly Connection", I would recommend you to try and listen to it before actually getting it... I found it rather dissapointing. Too much music lasting not long enough, and it's not coherent enough. Some really good melodies, but they don't last long enough to really enjoy them. In any case, you might rather want to get the live album "Out of the Blue", which is played by the same line-up from "Out There", and it's got a "medley" from "No Earthly Connection", which I enjoy far more than the original version... shorter and more coherent, and the main theme (or so I like to think about it) really shines more on this version. The one song that I do like a lot from the original album is "The Prisoner", though.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 23:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Heck, I even got the album A Suite Of Gods (with a title like that, who could resist....?).
Now, unless you like opera singers (admittedly, this Remedios fellow isn't as bellowing as The Three Tenors), backed with uber new-age keyboard arrangements, you'll find a real turkey here. Truly cringe-worthy.
Time-Machine was an improvement, though the production sapped any life out of it, as did Ashley Holt bellowing out 'Build Me A Woman'.........(hey guys, Women aren't Leggo bricks.....)

I found some enjoyable bits out of this album... though it's far from his best. I wish Rick had done some collaboration with Remedios in a full blown prog album, though (I guess Phantom Power comes closer to that, but though it's much more rock than New Age, compare to A Suite of Gods, it's still on the shorter range of songs and doesn't develop the songs to the lengths we prog lovers usually prefer).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 23:41
Well, I am a bit harsh with Suite Of Gods - I don't mind the first 2 tracks, and there is some quality dipping in and out of the 24 min. track Hercules. I guess, for my music tastes, I just don't appreciate the Opera vocal style. I usually spin this album at low volume, late at night, but I'll crank up Silent Nights any time of the day or night.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 23:42
My favorite Wakeman albums are

1.- Myths & Legends
2.- Criminal Record
3.- Journey
4.- Six Wives (Technically is the best one, but the concept is so vague that says little to me)
5.- Return to the Centre of the Earth
6.- Softsword
7.- No Earthly Connection
8.- 1984
9.- Black Knights at the Court
10.- Romance of the Victorian Age

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 26 2015 at 09:31

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 00:18

I don't like Mr Wakeman' solo catalogue.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 00:26
^ What a shame....
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:14

^ What a shame....
If there's anything that I really hate in prog rock, it is Wakeman' solo output, especially Journey...

Edited by Svetonio - January 26 2015 at 01:15
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:20
^ Wow
Journey is such a gem. It just.......works.......
......and explain this - I hate pompous features........yet I accept certain things......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 01:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Out There is an excellent modern contemporary keyboard album and I also like the Retro albums. I also like Rick tinkering away on his piano for the New Age trilogy (Sea Airs, Night Airs and Country Airs) . I still need to check out No Earthly Connection at some point.

Yeah, I love those ones too. As for "No Earthly Connection", I would recommend you to try and listen to it before actually getting it... I found it rather dissapointing. Too much music lasting not long enough, and it's not coherent enough. Some really good melodies, but they don't last long enough to really enjoy them. In any case, you might rather want to get the live album "Out of the Blue", which is played by the same line-up from "Out There", and it's got a "medley" from "No Earthly Connection", which I enjoy far more than the original version... shorter and more coherent, and the main theme (or so I like to think about it) really shines more on this version. The one song that I do like a lot from the original album is "The Prisoner", though.

another one to add to the listSmile
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 09:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

he real problem with No Earthly Connection is the cheesy concept about man loosing his musical soul....But hey, sometimes cheesy pompous is good.

Strangely I also agree witrh you that the best song is The Prissoner

You shall hang, said the judge
For your presence here on earth
Is no use to those who want to live in peace
Your evil is forever
You shall hang, said the judge

Vs

You shall hang, said the maker
For your presence on our planes
Is no use for those who wish to rest in peace
Your evil is forever
You shall hang, said the maker

Big smile

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:45
I got this one as part of my first Columbia House record order when I was kid and a few years before I became a full blown prog fan.  Still one of my favorite albums of his today.  The other Wakeman in the order was King Arthur.  It was a long time before I a copy of Six Wives as my brother had one.

I recently got a copy of No Earthly Connection, which I hadn't heard before and was rather disappointed.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 22:30

Well, I am a bit harsh with Suite Of Gods - I don't mind the first 2 tracks, and there is some quality dipping in and out of the 24 min. track Hercules. I guess, for my music tastes, I just don't appreciate the Opera vocal style. I usually spin this album at low volume, late at night, but I'll crank up Silent Nights any time of the day or night.

I think the ones I liked were the first 3 songs, mainly.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 23:36
^ Yeah, maybe they are the more 'subtle' ones - track 2 is very good.
Still would like to steer more folks in the way of Rick's collaboration with Mario Fasciano - Stella Bianca. A total joy, beginning to end.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 22:30
Yeah, I really like that Stella Bianca album a lot too. I haven't heard the first collaboration with him, though, what was it? Dark Knights at the court of Ferdinand or whatever? Since I liked Stella Bianca so much, I thought I might like that one too, but haven't gotten around to getting it... actually, I don't even know how easy or difficult it might be to do so, nor how good it might actually be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123