Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFave Prog Band On The Radio?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fave Prog Band On The Radio?
    Posted: January 17 2015 at 11:49
     There have, of course, been threads before on what your favourite prog band is, but I'd thought I'd start one on the relationship between your favourite prog band, and the radio stations you have listened to.
               Have you actually heard your favourite prog artist on the radio? If so, did radio exposure play a role in your liking of that artist? Or did the radio not really have anything to do with developing an interest in the artist?
                  As you know, with the advent of the internet, youtube, etc. the dynamic between artist to the radio has altered, but what about before all that? But it is also true that there are currently some really cool radio stations playing progressive rock of all types out there.
                       My favourite band is seventies, German, Symphonic Prog artist Triumvirat, and to be honest, in my 52 years on this earth, I have never heard them on the radio. I guess it's not surprising, as I did not discover the band until several years after they had split in 1980, and it had been years before that, that there was some radio exposure for the band in North America, where I'm from (mainly in the mid seventies period, during the focus on their best selling albums Illusions On A Double Dimple and Spartacus)           

Edited by presdoug - January 17 2015 at 20:15
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 12:26
Never heard anything like Can and Magma or any RIO on commercial radio, but I'm pretty sure my first intro to Rush and Supertramp came thru radio play, in the early 80s when both bands were at a commercial and arguably artistic peak.
And I bought my first Zappa record as a result of hearing "Valley Girl" on the radio, though I was aware of his stuff already via my dad's records.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 12:30
Back in the seventies, I heard all of the 'popular' prog bands on the radio in the U.S.

However, I still had to go 'underground' to hear groups like Can, Neu!, and Tangerine Dream.

Forget about Canterbury. I had no idea that genre existed until I lived for a brief time in the U.K.

Edited by SteveG - January 17 2015 at 12:30
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:34
In Rome (Italy) there's a radio that sometimes sends good stuff on air. Recently I've lestened to Kaipa, John de Leo and Cardiacs other than some of the prog dynosaurus like Genesis, Floyd, Jethro Tull and so on.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:45
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

My favourite band is seventies, German, Symphonic Prog artist Triumvirat, and to be honest, in my 52 years on this earth, I have never heard them on the radio. 

I did, once in the evening in my car, coming home from a meeting (a long piece of Spartacus). We're lucky in Belgium to have the radio station Classic 21 (from the French speaking part of the country, but you can receive it in most of Belgium), which features some good prog from time to time.

I don't have a fave prog radio band, but I love it when I drive in my car and suddenly I hear a band like Triumvirat coming by. Thumbs Up
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:01
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favourite band is seventies, German, Symphonic Prog artist Triumvirat, and to be honest, in my 52 years on this earth, I have never heard them on the radio. 

I did, once in the evening in my car, coming home from a meeting (a long piece of Spartacus). We're lucky in Belgium to have the radio station Classic 21 (from the French speaking part of the country, but you can receive it in most of Belgium), which features some good prog from time to time.

I don't have a fave prog radio band, but I love it when I drive in my car and suddenly I hear a band like Triumvirat coming by. Thumbs Up
Hey, that's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:15
Other than the poppiers tracks of Floyd, Genesis and Yes, not much: before I found this site the only Yes song I knew was 'Owner...' and 'Invisible Touch' from Genesis LOL
There is a weekly classic radio show that plays some Prog occasionally, they played Atomic Rooster on one of the last I heard Smile
'Old Loves Die Hard' from Triumvirat was a big success here, did you know 'Panic on Fifth Avenue' was used as a TV news intro? Tongue
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:31
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Other than the poppiers tracks of Floyd, Genesis and Yes, not much: before I found this site the only Yes song I knew was 'Owner...' and 'Invisible Touch' from Genesis LOL
There is a weekly classic radio show that plays some Prog occasionally, they played Atomic Rooster on one of the last I heard Smile
'Old Loves Die Hard' from Triumvirat was a big success here, did you know 'Panic on Fifth Avenue' was used as a TV news intro? Tongue
You make a good point, that T'rat had radio exposure after Spartacus. I recall now that Old Loves went to Number 1 in Portugal-that's interesting about the News intro. On the next album, Pompeii, in Germany, they had their biggest hit with "The Hymn".

Edited by presdoug - January 17 2015 at 15:48
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 16:38
^ It's a shame I can't find a video of the intro anywhere. It's odd that they were successful here, but it can be explained by how late Prog arrived here, some say that the two sold out concerts of Genesis in 1975 were the beginning of the brief Prog movement Tongue
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 19:22
When I was a kid (1971 onwards), there were tons of prog singles played on Chicago AM radio, including Yes "Roundabout," Flash "Small Beginnings," ELP "From the Beginning," Pink Floyd "Money" etc. 

I always got a special kick from hearing "Hocus Pocus" by Focus, which was a huge hit in this town!  It was great to hear Jan Akerman blazing away on his Les Paul!  I was fortunate to see them in concert in 1972 with two other bands (Foghat and Hookfoot).  A good time was had by all! 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

When I was a kid (1971 onwards), there were tons of prog singles played on Chicago AM radio, including Yes "Roundabout," Flash "Small Beginnings," ELP "From the Beginning," Pink Floyd "Money" etc. 

I always got a special kick from hearing "Hocus Pocus" by Focus, which was a huge hit in this town!  It was great to hear Jan Akerman blazing away on his Les Paul!  I was fortunate to see them in concert in 1972 with two other bands (Foghat and Hookfoot).  A good time was had by all! 
Those sound like great days, Chuck! I guess Triumvirat did not get the radio exposure like the real "big boys" did. From those you mention, I remember "Hocus Pocus" on the radio very much from back in the day.
  It was so cool that even AM played real progressive rock.

Edited by presdoug - January 17 2015 at 20:27
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:30
Do they play Prog bands on the radio ??
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:43
I heard Genesis on the radio in the early 70s, late 70s, 80s. I heard them outside of radio directly from records. I heard about them from conversation. I was aware of them from so many different points of contact that it's hard for me to characterize what got them to the forefront of my attention. My interest in solo Hackett then followed from that.

Tull was a group I definitely got into from radio play. My interest in Tull also converged with similar interest from friends.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 20:47
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Classic rock stations do. I've heard these on the Toronto one, what's it called...Q107?:

2112 (whole thing)
Dogs (whole thing)
Echoes (whole thing)
Tarkus (whole thing)
Supper's Ready (whole thing)
Close To The Edge (whole thing)
TAAB (Part 1)
Don't Eat That Yellow Snow suite

as well as stuff like:

Hocus Pocus
YYZ
Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein"WinkLOL

I've heard non-classic rock stations play songs by Tool and TMV.

Magma America Great Make Again
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 01:02

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Those sound like great days, Chuck! I guess Triumvirat did not get the radio exposure like the real "big boys" did. From those you mention, I remember "Hocus Pocus" on the radio very much from back in the day.
  It was so cool that even AM played real progressive rock.

Hi Doug!  "Illusions on a Double Dimple" had frequent airplay on US college FM stations and some of the AOR stations, and "Spartacus" was also heard.  Our university station in Champaign, Illinois played a ton of prog rock, and helped to launch the local band Starcastle!  Those were great days, my friend!

To my knowledge, Triumvirat did not generate an AM radio single.  Pity, it would have been very popular!  
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 02:40
There was a special on King Crimson I heard on a college station that usually plays smooth jazz. It was a trip to hear "Sailor's Tale" blasting on mainstream radio. I wonder how many scared and confused calls they got that day. This particular show is always all about somewhat esoteric stuff and a lot of classic rock, but that was almost certainly the longest block of out there music they ever played.
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 04:22
I think my first ever posting to this site was a result of my hearing Magma's MDK on the radio (probably 5 or 6 years ago). I was so blown away by it that I went and ordered the 10CD box set that was out at the time and then posted here for some reassurance that what I had done wasn't too crazy.

Anyway the rest is history - they one of my absolute favourite bands now.

For the record, the radio programme is called the Freak Zone.  It's on BBC 6 Music on a Sunday evening and it has introduced me lots of great music.

Edited by ProgBob - January 18 2015 at 04:22
Bob
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 04:26
Steely Dan
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 04:53
I wouldn't know since I stopped listening to the radio on purpose about 30 years ago.  I'm sure Yes, Rush, Supertramp and maybe the big 3 ELP singles get played. I did accidently hear a public radio station promo-ing Prog fest 99 and played a sample of most of the bands (including Magma, Bondage Fruit, Gong and Brand X). But until Taylor Swift goes prog, I wouldn't count on anything beyond the cookie cutters boundaries. 
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 00:48
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Classic rock stations do. I've heard these on the Toronto one, what's it called...Q107?:

2112 (whole thing)
Dogs (whole thing)
Echoes (whole thing)
Tarkus (whole thing)
Supper's Ready (whole thing)
Close To The Edge (whole thing)
TAAB (Part 1)
Don't Eat That Yellow Snow suite

as well as stuff like:

Hocus Pocus
YYZ
Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein"WinkLOL

I've heard non-classic rock stations play songs by Tool and TMV.
Not there now, but, yeah, I grew up in Buffalo where Toronto station Q107 also comes in and I heard all that stuff on there too. It's always been a strong region for Prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>