Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFave Prog Band On The Radio?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 01:21
British Radio had Alan ''Fluff'' Freeman in the seventies. He was given the Saturday afternoon slot to play what he wanted and he played prog. However I did hear ELP played during the day on odd occasions before Fanfare For The Common Man went 'big'. In the late seventies/ early eighties I listened to Radio Caroline as they played a lot of prog rock. After they stopped it was mainly the Friday Rock Show. Nowadays its Darren Redick on Planet rock radio for an hour a week but his knowledge of prog is not great and I've tried (without any luck) to get him to play Par Lindh Project. However he does play Sound Of Contact and Frost* which is something at least.

Edited by richardh - January 19 2015 at 01:23
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 01:27
The songs from Supetramp's Breakfast In America were often played here at radio and I loved it. I love entire Breakfast In America LP, it's a great crossover prog album that not sound dated even today.

Edited by Svetonio - January 19 2015 at 01:27
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 09:33
I got sick of the classic rock stations years ago here. They were too repetitive and did not dig beyond radio-friendly prog- lite in recent years. I now listen to an indie rock station that is tolerable on occasion, but the only things resembling prog are some radio friendly Muse or Radiohead. I don't much like our modern rock station, but at least they play Tool sometimes.
More heavy prog, please!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 13:20
Well, my favourite prog band is Genesis so yes, in the 80's they were played to death on the radio, even in the daytime, until the BBC decided to revamp Radio 1 and cease playing anything by anyone over 35 years of age. But by then I guess Genesis were a middle aged pop group, and were confined to Horlicks FM...

Seriously though, the BBC Radio 1 did have a very good rock show on Friday nights in the 80's and that's where I heard most bands, prog or otherwise and was a major factor in me becoming a rock fan period. Mr Tommy Vance would regularly play Rush, Yes, Genesis, Marillion and all matter of metal too. He used to play full concerts. I remember hearing a Genesis concert from 1973 ( I think) as well as their 1978 Knebworth set. He also played an excellent Yes concert from 1978. I seem to remember he also had Theme 1 by VDGG as a jingle. Good days.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2015 at 15:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Well, my favourite prog band is Genesis so yes, in the 80's they were played to death on the radio, even in the daytime, until the BBC decided to revamp Radio 1 and cease playing anything by anyone over 35 years of age. But by then I guess Genesis were a middle aged pop group, and were confined to Horlicks FM...

Seriously though, the BBC Radio 1 did have a very good rock show on Friday nights in the 80's and that's where I heard most bands, prog or otherwise and was a major factor in me becoming a rock fan period. Mr Tommy Vance would regularly play Rush, Yes, Genesis, Marillion and all matter of metal too. He used to play full concerts. I remember hearing a Genesis concert from 1973 ( I think) as well as their 1978 Knebworth set. He also played an excellent Yes concert from 1978. I seem to remember he also had Theme 1 by VDGG as a jingle. Good days.

It was actually the brilliant Genesis Lyceum gig from the Duke tour 1979 (or 80) , still one of the most impressive live concerts I've ever heard.
Yep good ole 'TV on The Radio', remember the Friday Night Connection? Never guessed any of themLOL

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 00:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It was actually the brilliant Genesis Lyceum gig from the Duke tour 1979 (or 80) , still one of the most impressive live concerts I've ever heard.
Yep good ole 'TV on The Radio', remember the Friday Night Connection? Never guessed any of themLOL

Yea, I never got any of those connections. My knoweldge of music was pretty limited though.

He did play the Knebworth show, I'm prety sure. I remember taping it, then losing the tape then buying the bootleg years later and enjoying hearing it again.

He also used Take it off the top by Dixie Dreggs as background music.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 00:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

British Radio had Alan ''Fluff'' Freeman in the seventies. He was given the Saturday afternoon slot to play what he wanted and he played prog. However I did hear ELP played during the day on odd occasions before Fanfare For The Common Man went 'big'. In the late seventies/ early eighties I listened to Radio Caroline as they played a lot of prog rock. After they stopped it was mainly the Friday Rock Show. Nowadays its Darren Redick on Planet rock radio for an hour a week but his knowledge of prog is not great and I've tried (without any luck) to get him to play Par Lindh Project. However he does play Sound Of Contact and Frost* which is something at least.

I heard my first 'Prog' on Alan Freeman's 3pm Saturday BBC Radio One show during the 70's. Greetings Music Lovers, Not 'arf

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 20 2015 at 00:39
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 09:21
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Never heard anything like Can and Magma or any RIO on commercial radio, but I'm pretty sure my first intro to Rush and Supertramp came thru radio play, in the early 80s when both bands were at a commercial and arguably artistic peak.
And I bought my first Zappa record as a result of hearing "Valley Girl" on the radio, though I was aware of his stuff already via my dad's records.

Might want to take a read of the thread on Space Pirate Radio.

CAN, AMON DUUL 2, VdGG were probably the most played of all! I think that Guy ended up getting a 2nd or 3rd copies and I had to get 2nd copies for sure!

There were too many others also played, to be mentioned ... that no one here, will EVER hear on commercial radio! And we already know that Sirius/BS is not interested in real music or art!

Edited by moshkito - January 20 2015 at 09:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 08:46
I live in Peoria, which is smack dab in the middle of Illinois.  The only prog you're likely to hear on FM radio (discounting prog-related and crossover) is Tool and Yes from 90125 or earlier.  I found King Crimson, my favorite band, because the best rock station in Chicago used to play Elephant Talk often!
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 15:03
Not so much 25-30 years ago when I was teenager, even though classic rock stations played limited hit songs by Rush, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Genesis, and ELP.  Rush became my fave prog band at the time, somewhat from radio, but mostly by influence of friends who were Rush fans.

More recently (10-15 years ago) i started listening to internet radio (esp AOL Progressive station), which introduced me to many bands, but esp. Rennaissance, which I had never heard before: and for a time Rennaissance became my fave.

Commercial radio in general isn't very good to/for prog. When I went on air at a community station with a prog rock show, my purpose was to expose the wider public to some of the amazing music that they just couldn't hear anywhere else.  My time slot was late, and I didn't end up having a big audience, but I was complimented by most of my 3 listeners for my music selections  Embarrassed..

Z
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 17:08

By coincidence I've been listening to it:

Steve Hackett's "The Red Flowers of Tachai Blooms Everywhere". I  was "zapping" through radio stations and suddenly found this music playing - literally amazed by this brief but insightful mind blowing music!.., thanks to this station (extinted obviously) I set myself in an endless hunting for the Hackett's LPs. And when then I finally found Spectral Mornings I was the happiest man in the world, frequently came back there just to see it again, even if I couldn't afford to by it from that fascinating biggest and expensive shop in copacabana, the lyrics right there blew my imagination as well as Hackett's photo with his guitar, in the inside cover. Unfortunately the store was extint when I finally had the money to buy the album of my dreams. After yearning fot it for about 10 years I was prized at last to ordering the album at an imported CD titles shop in downtown, during my lunch break in a hot summer day. Just a couple of weeks later I could put my hands on this GREAT ALBUM! What a realization!...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
tricksiebzehn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 17:30
This thread somehow shows me that I'm really to young for the prog era and therefor never had the chance to hear it in the radio Tongue
The only group that was introduced to me through radio was Santana, they played mostly new stuff by them (I should rather call Santana "him", because the real Santana split up long time ago...) but from time to time, they played a track from the very first album.

Nowadays, I rarely listen to any radio, because a good jazz/world/prog station is as good as non-existent where I live... But I'm glad I found so many really good and rare music with last.fm and PA Smile And streaming services like Spotify makes it so easy to immediately listen to new stuff.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 18:17
When I was a teenager in NYC in the early to mid seventies, Yes, ELP, Genesis, etc. all were frequently played on the two FM stations I used to listen to. I had no idea it was progressive rock (I was 13 or 14 at the time), I just liked the music.  Still do.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 11:21
Hi,

I was thinking of a list, but it would be endless, in the case of Guy Guden's Space Pirate Radio ... and there isn't a thing that you can mention that was 'foreign" or an "import" that he did not play in my 8 years in Santa Barbara listening to it, and his 16 or more years on the air playing all of these things ... and it goes all the way back to the very unusual and off the wall stuff, not just the bigger names in the progressive and import areas.

It's a shame that many here, have no idea, or have EVER heard anything like it ... because it was special and then some. Again, check out the emotional depth and comments on the thread elsewhere in this board, if you don't believe me ... and i wish that others were able to do something like it, but the closest I have found is on Live365, and that's crap!

Edited by moshkito - February 28 2015 at 11:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2015 at 04:42
Thank you Pedro for the saludos de progresso con radio estrella musica, or something similar, without hat.
Seriously though, it is amazing to think that 41 years ago, and then onward to 2002, I could play, on COMMERCIAL RADIO, six hours of COMMERCIAL-FREE music, 8 tenths of what is listed on this board, that was released during those years.  The '70s, '80s, '90s and Double O's had their share of problems, but when I look back and listen to what we were able to 'get away with' on the air then, compared to today... well, it seems unreal.  Like going from the Enlightenment to the Dark Ages.  The new music is as great as ever, and I would love to segue things I bought this year with things from decades past.

Oh, those cursed Corporate Overlords!  :)X.

Like John Cassavetes said in Paul Mazursky's TEMPEST (1982):  "Show me the Magick."

Radio had that Magick.  And LIVE radio at that. 
Happy Guides of March!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12