Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson Live 69-74

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson Live 69-74
    Posted: January 17 2015 at 13:30
Wondering if anyone can suggest some additions to my live Crimson collection.

I have:

Epitaph
The Great Deceiver
The Night Watch
Ladies of the Road
Plymouth Guildhall 71
Marquee 71
Detroit 71
Summit Studios 72
Zoom Club 72
Mainz 74
Asbury Park 74

I don't want to buy any of the 20+ CD mega boxes - that's too much for me. But I'm wondering if there are any individual gems I've missed out on; I wouldn't mind getting another two or three sets. I prefer CD releases but will consider download-only stuff. And I'm not really interested in anything with very poor sound quality.

So, anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by Mascodagama - January 17 2015 at 14:08
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:39
King Crimson - "Cirkus"

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Wondering if anyone can suggest some additions to my live Crimson collection.

I have:

Epitaph
The Great Deceiver
The Night Watch
Ladies of the Road
Plymouth Guildhall 71
Marquee 71
Detroit 71
Summit Studios 72
Zoom Club 72
Mainz 74
Asbury Park 74

I don't want to buy any of the 20+ CD mega boxes - that's too much for me. But I'm wondering if there are any individual gems I've missed out on; I wouldn't mind getting another two or three sets. I prefer CD releases but will consider download-only stuff. And I'm not really interested in anything with very poor sound quality.

So, anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks!

I assume you have USA...? Big smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:19
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

King Crimson - "Cirkus"

Thanks for the suggestion! I think there's only four tracks on that from 69-74 that I don't have elsewhere, though.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 15:23
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I assume you have USA...? Big smile
Well, in a manner of speaking Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2015 at 23:29
I was going to suggest "Collectible King Crimson vol 1", but I think that pair of albums you mentioned last (Ausbury and Mainz) are the concerts that make Collectible vol 1, so I guess you actually have it already. I really love that one, specially, it's got my favourite version of Starless (I think that's from the Mainz concert). And I guess you consider that you have USA in a manner of speaking because of the Ausbury album you have... that's exactly the reason I don't consider necessary/important to get USA, if I already have a recording of the same concert, but without editing nor overdubs, and with Cross actually playing the violin.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 07:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was going to suggest "Collectible King Crimson vol 1", but I think that pair of albums you mentioned last (Ausbury and Mainz) are the concerts that make Collectible vol 1, so I guess you actually have it already. I really love that one, specially, it's got my favourite version of Starless (I think that's from the Mainz concert).

Yeah, that Starless from Mainz is a great one! You made me put it on right now. Really digging Bruford on this rendition, who needs three drummers when you have a cultured madman with four arms Cool  Then Cross coming in with some pretty demented violin around 9m, not to be outdone.  And from there it just builds. Intense!

And I guess you consider that you have USA in a manner of speaking because of the Ausbury album you have... that's exactly the reason I don't consider necessary/important to get USA, if I already have a recording of the same concert, but without editing nor overdubs, and with Cross actually playing the violin.

Yep. I'd rather have the raw concert than the one that's been messed around with.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2015 at 22:08

I was going to suggest "Collectible King Crimson vol 1", but I think that pair of albums you mentioned last (Ausbury and Mainz) are the concerts that make Collectible vol 1, so I guess you actually have it already. I really love that one, specially, it's got my favourite version of Starless (I think that's from the Mainz concert).

Yeah, that Starless from Mainz is a great one! You made me put it on right now. Really digging Bruford on this rendition, who needs three drummers when you have a cultured madman with four arms Cool  Then Cross coming in with some pretty demented violin around 9m, not to be outdone.  And from there it just builds. Intense!

And I guess you consider that you have USA in a manner of speaking because of the Ausbury album you have... that's exactly the reason I don't consider necessary/important to get USA, if I already have a recording of the same concert, but without editing nor overdubs, and with Cross actually playing the violin.

Yep. I'd rather have the raw concert than the one that's been messed around with.

My only complaint about that version of Starless is that it's sound quality is a bit inferior to that from other concerts (like the Ausbury one)... specially notable on the violin, I guess since it was a more delicate instrument to record. However, if I don't listen to one song next to the other, I may not even notice any problem with the recording quality, and the performance is much better than any other I've heard (that ending just doesn't get the same power on other recordings... not even the studio one).
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2015 at 12:50
A shame that "Central Park 74" is of such bad sound quality. I couldn't listen to more than a few minutes of it for that reason, but it's probably a decent show.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:08
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

A shame that "Central Park 74" is of such bad sound quality. I couldn't listen to more than a few minutes of it for that reason, but it's probably a decent show.

Yeah. Zoom Club has the same problem. Audience recording and it sounds like the guy recorded it using a Dictaphone. That was kept in his jacket.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 16:17

My only complaint about that version of Starless is that it's sound quality is a bit inferior to that from other concerts (like the Ausbury one)... specially notable on the violin, I guess since it was a more delicate instrument to record. However, if I don't listen to one song next to the other, I may not even notice any problem with the recording quality, and the performance is much better than any other I've heard (that ending just doesn't get the same power on other recordings... not even the studio one).

Quality is a bit crude, but good enough for me. Kinda suits the balls-out nature of the performance. Wetton belting his lungs out on Lament!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2015 at 23:51
Go see Fripp's newest version live.  I've seen KC dating back to LTIA, and these guys nailed it!  

The LTIA material was even better than when I saw it, because the three-drummer setup allowed them to capture the intricacies of Jamie Muir's percussion.  This was the setlist in Chicago in 2014, pictures of a city was jaw-dropping!  (my first KC album I ever purchased was "Poseidon")

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 16:21
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Go see Fripp's newest version live.  I've seen KC dating back to LTIA, and these guys nailed it!  

The LTIA material was even better than when I saw it, because the three-drummer setup allowed them to capture the intricacies of Jamie Muir's percussion.  This was the setlist in Chicago in 2014, pictures of a city was jaw-dropping!  (my first KC album I ever purchased was "Poseidon")

Great set list! I certainly want to see them when they play the UK, if I can. I never thought I'd ever get the chance to see Crimson do this material and it'd take a hell of a lot for me to miss it.

I had Live at the Orpheum on pre-order and must admit that so far it hasn't blown me away - I mean it's excellent, statesmanlike renditions of the material, but it feels to me like they were playing within themselves. Maybe they just didn't put the more hair-raising moments on the record! Also, I need to absorb it better.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 23 2015 at 16:23
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2015 at 20:05

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

<ol style="line-height: normal; font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 19px; font-style: italic; list-style-: initial;">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
  • <div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">The Talking Drum<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Hell Bells<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">The ConstruKction of Light<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">One More Red Nightmare<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">A Scarcity of Miracles<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"=""><span style="font-style: normal;" ="cover-artist"="">(Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins cover)</span>
  • <div ="songpart"="">Interlude<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Pictures of a City<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Level Five<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">The Letters<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Sailor's Tale<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">The Light of Day<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"=""><span style="font-style: normal;" ="cover-artist"="">(Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins cover)</span>
  • <div ="songpart"="">Red<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">Starless<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <li style="list-style: none; font-size: 0.9em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: -2em;" ="encore"="">Encore:<li value="16"><div ="songpart"="">Hell Hounds of Krim<div style="font-size: 0.6em;" ="infopart"="">
  • <div ="songpart"="">21st Century Schizoid Man

• Great set list! I certainly want to see them when they play the UK, if I can. I never thought I'd ever get the chance to see Crimson do this material and it'd take a hell of a lot for me to miss it.

I had Live at the Orpheum on pre-order and must admit that so far it hasn't blown me away - I mean it's excellent, statesmanlike renditions of the material, but it feels to me like they were playing within themselves. Maybe they just didn't put the more hair-raising moments on the record! Also, I need to absorb it better.

Yeah, that set-list sounds amazing, and I would really love to see them if they continue with their tour. However, what would really make it perfect for me, is if they also included Epitaph and The Court of the Crimson King in the set-list.
    npjnpj View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:29
    Does anyone know if there are any KC Live albums featuring the Lizard Lineup (Fripp/Collins/Haskell/McCulloch)?
    LearsFool View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:35
    ^ Unfortunately, they never toured.
    npjnpj View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:58
    That explains it, thank you.
    TODDLER View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member
    VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:22
    Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

That explains it, thank you.

It's a real shame that Gordon Haskell and other members bailed out on Fripp shortly after Lizard was completed. Only Mel Collins and Pete Sinfield stayed with K.C. until the next album was recorded. If Fripp had taken the entire unit on the road..which included the session musicians for Lizard as well, it would have been a unique experience for fans of Progressive Rock. 
    Barbu View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:50
    You can add Jacksonville '72 to your collection: Good sound quality, strong performance.
    Collaborator
    Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 01:49
    Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

You can add Jacksonville '72 to your collection: Good sound quality, strong performance.
    Thanks! Much appreciated.
     Post Reply Post Reply