Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 05:32
Wow, Dixon. Thats actually a surprise and a shame for JPM as he led the championship all the way until the last race.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:51
^What a bummer! Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 11:26
Yeah I really dont like the double points things. I mean....can't say JPM blew it really, 6th place is a good finish. And looking at the overall year, while Dixon was great and pulled it out when needed, I do think Montoya had the better actual year. 

What can ya do? 

Kudos to Graham Rahal who had a poor finish to the year, but a great season and very shocking for him. 

Edited by JJLehto - August 31 2015 at 11:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 14:14
Yes, this type of points system is not indicative of JPM's season, but as you said, what can you do.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 16:40
I guess if you take the double points away for Sonoma and Indy, Dixon still would've won the title, although I'm actually okay with double points for Indy because it's 500 miles and it's, you know, Indy.  Oh well, maybe JPM is just doing his best Will Power impression and maybe next year he'll get the title.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 19:24
^Actually no, if you take double points away from just Sonoma or both races then Montoya is champion. Nobody complains about Indy being a double points race because as you said, it's Indy and deserves it in the same way that Le Mans does for the WEC but I don't know of anybody that likes Sonoma getting double points 9especially Montoya!).

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 20:17
I was beaten to it ^ but yeah without them I do believe JPM would've had it. 

Call me conservative Wink but even for Indy I feel it's wrong. I mean there's no extra for the the Daytona 500, Monaco. Just seems unfair to me to have one, or a few, race(s) mean so much compared to the overall. Like a whole year of work could end up for naught thanks to a race or two, but not in the typical way like a close title being lost on a bad race...but that simply they have special rules.
For LeMans I accept it since that's such an extreme race, but I just don't like the idea otherwise. 

Least Dixon is well deserving. His 4th title ties him with Dario, and also with Bourdais and Andretti if you include all the lineages...making Dixon one of the greatest drivers in North American open wheel history! 

Edited by JJLehto - August 31 2015 at 20:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:40
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

^Actually no, if you take double points away from just Sonoma or both races then Montoya is champion. Nobody complains about Indy being a double points race because as you said, it's Indy and deserves it in the same way that Le Mans does for the WEC but I don't know of anybody that likes Sonoma getting double points 9especially Montoya!).

Ah, okay, my math must've been off on that.  Well, that almost makes this loss a little harder to swallow, but what can you do?  What's done is done, and I just hope he comes out next year with a vengeance.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 06:34
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I was beaten to it ^ but yeah without them I do believe JPM would've had it. 

Call me conservative Wink but even for Indy I feel it's wrong. I mean there's no extra for the the Daytona 500, Monaco. Just seems unfair to me to have one, or a few, race(s) mean so much compared to the overall. Like a whole year of work could end up for naught thanks to a race or two, but not in the typical way like a close title being lost on a bad race...but that simply they have special rules.
For LeMans I accept it since that's such an extreme race, but I just don't like the idea otherwise. 

Least Dixon is well deserving. His 4th title ties him with Dario, and also with Bourdais and Andretti if you include all the lineages...making Dixon one of the greatest drivers in North American open wheel history! 

Be glad it's not the old USAC scoring system where it was points per mile and races could be as short as 100 miles (half the current size for your average street/road race). Some of those 70's championships could have very weird results with the guy winning the most races being nowhere when a guy doing only the 500 miles ends up on top.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2015 at 23:25
Hmmm...JPM losing the championship is still bugging me a little bit.  He had a 47 point cushion over Dixon, finished 6th, and lost.  The more I think about it, JPM was screwed out of that championship.  And yeah, I'm a bit biased, but still!

And think back to the 1988 F1 championship, where Ayrton Senna won the title even though Prost scored more points, due to only the top 11 results being allowed toward the final standings.  Now that's BS.

Edited by MillsLayne - September 01 2015 at 23:28
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 06:45
The top one is still Tom Sneva winning a USAC title in the 70's without actually winning a race due to the aformentionted points per mile system.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 09:24
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Hmmm...JPM losing the championship is still bugging me a little bit.  He had a 47 point cushion over Dixon, finished 6th, and lost.  The more I think about it, JPM was screwed out of that championship.  And yeah, I'm a bit biased, but still!

And think back to the 1988 F1 championship, where Ayrton Senna won the title even though Prost scored more points, due to only the top 11 results being allowed toward the final standings.  Now that's BS.

I tell ya, it aint right! Thanks for the agreementLOL 6th is no way to lose a title when you had that large a lead, and really yes I like JPM but that's not it, it was just pretty unfair. 

Yes that one too! When I learned that, and add to the fact Senna had his own Schumacher-esque collision once with Prost, kinda made me re think his legacy a tiny bit. 
Wow, that USAC stuff is pretty ridiculous! Gotta say, ironically, Nascar had it right for the longest time: simple most points win with no shenanigans. It was more consistency based than winning but they have 36 race seasons. Of course I wasnt too big into the chase, and in very recent years it's gone totally nutty. 

Edited by JJLehto - September 02 2015 at 09:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2015 at 21:11
NASCAR has ruined their championship system and the way it is now, makes the original Chase system look brilliant.  Just stick to the "whoever scores the most points wins the championship" system, and every race scores the same amount of points, except for maybe the biggest race of the year (Daytona, Indy, etc.).  It works every time and no one can really complain about it. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2015 at 13:03
Interesting grid for tomorrows race at Monza. With the starts Mercedes have been making recently I expect Rainnonen to be leading into turn 1.

PosDriverCarGap
1Lewis HamiltonMercedes1m23.397s
2Kimi RaikkonenFerrari0.234s
3Sebastian VettelFerrari0.288s
4Nico RosbergMercedes0.306s
5Felipe MassaWilliams/Mercedes0.543s
6Valtteri BottasWilliams/Mercedes0.730s
7Sergio PerezForce India/Mercedes1.229s
8Romain GrosjeanLotus/Mercedes1.657s
9Nico HulkenbergForce India/Mercedes1.920s
10Pastor MaldonadoLotus/Mercedes1.128s
11Felipe NasrSauber/Ferrari1.501s
12Will StevensMarussia/Ferrari4.334s
13Marcus EricssonSauber/Ferrari2.817s
14Roberto MerhiMarussia/Ferrari4.515s
15Carlos SainzToro Rosso/Renault2.221s
16Daniil KvyatRed Bull/Renault2.399s
17Jenson ButtonMcLaren/Honda2.661s
18Fernando AlonsoMcLaren/Honda2.757s
19Max VerstappenToro Rosso/Renault-
20Daniel RicciardoRed Bull/Renault-

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 13:33
Missed the race but managed to avoid any spoilers and about to catch the replay. 
Gunna pray to the tifosi gods and call a Kimi win! 
Yes, going bold. 

let's see how wrong I amLOL

EDIT: WOW...clearly there is no godLOL Holy hell that was literally the worst start Kimi could've had. Jesus. 

Edited by JJLehto - September 06 2015 at 13:37
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 15:00
Congrats to Lewis, dominant win. I believe a Grand Chelem. Also win #40 putting him one behind Vettel and Senna! Back in 07/08 I thought he'd be one of the all time greats. For a while there I thought maybe he was failing to live up to his talent but needless to say that has been put to rest. 

Great finish for Vettel to keep the Ferrari mobs happy! 

Shame for Nico, I think the evasive maneuver around Kimi held him up, and after holding on all race long to that 6 race old engine just to have it blow right at the end. Tragic. Beneficial for Massa and Kimi though, congrats to Felipe for holding off Bottas for 3rd, and Kimi for clawing back to 5th. 

Edited by JJLehto - September 06 2015 at 15:02
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 20:15
I think thats job done as far as the title goes for Hamilton, 2 wins and change in the title race with 7 races left would take some monumental bad luck for Rosberg to beat him.

EDIT: But the biggest news of the day seems to be that Red Bull are almost certianly not going to use Renault engines next year, we'll have to see whether they end up with Mercedes or Ferrari and Torro Rosso will follow suite in dropping Renault.

Renault have agreed terms to buy back the Lotus team as well but deal needs to go before the board first, where they'll either decide to buy out the team or pull out of F1 altogether.

Edited by sleeper - September 06 2015 at 20:21

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2015 at 20:58
I love Monza and I hope it's on the calendar forever, but today's race was awful.  Aside from the start with Kimi's issues and watching him come back through the field, there wasn't much else going on. 

BTW, it's throwback weekend for NASCAR at Darlington, and it's so awesome.  The throwback schemes, the ridiculous mustaches, etc.  It's great!  If Gordon or KyBu can't win tonight, I wouldn't mind Kyle Larson in that classic Mello Yello 42!

Edited by MillsLayne - September 06 2015 at 21:30
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 02:08
Funny you mention Monza staying...I had no idea about this since I dont follow this type of news, but the commentators were saying Bernie is playing some poker with Monza? Something how the track has always gotten very generous deals, and he was implying Monza starts to pay up or maybe lose their place? 
They all were of the opinion its just a leverage move, but one that is scary since no one wants to see Monza gone, especially Ferrari!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2015 at 04:33
Yeah, basically, it's in danger of being dropped from the schedule unless they can come up with the money that's being requested to host the Italian GP.  And yes, who knows if this would actually happen, but for Bernie to be playing more of BS games all for the money once again and imply that another historic F1 venue could be dropped is part of the reason F1 is in the bad position it's in.  His priorities are money first, product second, and it's really been showing for the past few seasons. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>