FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 20:33
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Heafty crash in testing for Alonso today, lost the car on the exit of Barcelona's fast turn 3 and hit the inside wall. He's got concussion and will stay in hospital overnight though it's not thought to be serious.

Pretty much sums up a frustrating week for McLaren.

I had hopes that McLaren could make this a better year than last, but they're certainly off to a bad start with all the testing woes.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2015 at 06:53
Yeah, its thought that the car will be very quick, probably right behind Merc, once they get it sorted but they're struggling to get through a bunch of niggling little problems at the moment which is curtailing their running.

Looks like Marussia will be back this year as Manor GP, they officially left administration on the 19th, Ferrari have said they have an agreement to supply 2014 spec engines for the year and the team are booked in for crash testing, no doubt to get a new nose that conforms to this years regulations passed that they can then bolt onto last years cars. They'll be dead slow, but if it means they can get themselves set up for next year nicely then I'm all for it. It's thought that Justin King, the former boss of the Sainsburys supermarket chain who at one point last year was considered as a replacement for Bernie,  is one of the main investors. His sone Jordan is the 2013 British F3 champ and is racing in GP2 this year so could be a future driver.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 23:57
^Glad to see Marussia will be back in some form, if only to help fill out the grid.

Kyle Busch's subs for his Cup and Xfinity (formerly Nationwide) rides were named today.  David Ragan will fill in in the 18 Cup car and Eric Jones will be in the 54 in the Xfinity series.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 00:26
Nice.

I've always like David Ragan for some reason. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 00:33
Manor GP, interesting name!

Yes, a bit nervous for Alonso, we know McLaren and their famed inconsistency, hoping he finds em on an upswing! 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 05:45
Technically the team has always been John Booth's Manor GP but they've had to use the sponsors/investers name for the team name, hence Virgin and then Marussia, they're a team with quite a pedigree in the junior ranks with multiple British Formula Renault and F3 titles (Lewis Hamilton won the 2003 FRenault title with them for instance).

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2015 at 23:27
Ah well there ya go!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:40
Manor Marussia's (Marussia name kept so that they can get last yearsprize money, no remaining links to former Russian owners though) entry has been confirmed by the FIA today, with Will Stevens, who raced for Caterham in Abu Dhabi last year and arguably did a better job against Kobayashi than Ericsson did all year, taking one of the seats and It's been confirmed they intend to use an updated 2014 car to start with and then bring in an all new car mid season. Speculation has linked Kevin Magnussen to the second seat, kind of strengthening the rumors that McLaren might be behind their resurgance and intend to use them as a B team from 2016 onwards.  

MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 21:02
NASCAR is really trying to piss fans and drivers off lately, it seems.  Today for Cup qualifying, 13 drivers weren't able to take to the track because they were held up in tech inspections.  Some cars ahead of them had to go through multiple times before they were cleared.  Some of the drivers included are Jeff Gordon (starts 35th), Matt Kenseth (36th), Jimmie Johnson (37th), Regan Smith (in for Kurt Busch, 38th), and Tony Stewart (39th). 

Hopefully, they can figure something out to not allow this to happen again.  That's just, quoting Jeff Gordon, "embarrassing."
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:40
It's been confirmed that Alonso will miss the season opener due to his testing crash. He's pretty much fine but the doctors have advised against it due to the risk of double impact syndrome if he has another head injury. Magnussen will take over.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 17:48

It's been confirmed that Alonso will miss the season opener due to his testing crash. He's pretty much fine but the doctors have advised against it due to the risk of double impact syndrome if he has another head injury. Magnussen will take over.

Oh dang. 

Also bit of a shame Kevin got dropped for Alonso, I know it was the "right" move based on results, but I really do see him as having the higher upside, and longer career of course, than Button.

Cool to see Sainz Jr (I remember liking his dad back in Rally) coming to F1 and Max Verstappen who will be 17 years old!?!? My god. This thought literally confounds me, I would've been driving my Saturn on the local roads of town for just a year by then and he's in F1LOL
Hope to see Carlos Munoz make it to F1 within the next few years, and maybe Conor Daly if he finds any success in GP2

Edited by JJLehto - March 03 2015 at 17:53
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 05:53
I remember watching the 97 season final where Schumacher hit Viellneuve and bounced off into the gravel. Verstappen was born a week later! Trackside observers during the winter have said he's the real deal and has looked very impressive in testing.

Speaking of Schumacher, his son Mick his making the step up to car racing this year in German F4.

I think Munoz has the talent but I doubt he'll get the oppotunity, I see long Indycar career instead. Daly isn't good enough for F1 IMO, though not a bad driver but he'd be like Max Chilton, I gather he's after Indycar these days though. Alex Rossi is the American still over her in Europe, racing in GP2 again this year.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 09:06
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Oh dang. 

Also bit of a shame Kevin got dropped for Alonso, I know it was the "right" move based on results, but I really do see him as having the higher upside, and longer career of course, than Button.

Cool to see Sainz Jr (I remember liking his dad back in Rally) coming to F1 and Max Verstappen who will be 17 years old!?!? My god. This thought literally confounds me, I would've been driving my Saturn on the local roads of town for just a year by then and he's in F1LOL
Hope to see Carlos Munoz make it to F1 within the next few years, and maybe Conor Daly if he finds any success in GP2
If Alonso is not up to Mags performance after that first race, that will look awfully strange! Shocked
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 11:22
I don't think there's any worry about that, Alonso is pretty much fine now it's the risk of double impact syndrome, where a second head injury so soon after the first can be very dangerous.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Oh dang. 

If Alonso is not up to Mags performance after that first race, that will look awfully strange! Shocked

Well I have 0 concern for Alonso skill wise, I still think he's a top 3, but this head trauma issue is what's concerning. Seems like it'll be OK, though it sucks he's already in the hole one race. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 10:40
^I will yield to your expertise and put away my concerns.  Alonso being starting off one race in the hole is a bummer.

It's also sad not to see Mags on the grid, but perhaps next year.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 14:44
I hope you mean Sleeper, he is the expert! 
Are you a fan? Alonso is neutral to disliked in this thread, I'm the only person that likes him hereLOL
I think he's a top tier driver, up there with the best, and I still lament he's spent a few years in lackluster cars, and is still a collective handful of points away from being a 5 time champ, but I guess that's always the case with "what if" 

It is a shame with Magnussen he really impressed. Still say, cold as it would've been, Button should've gotten the thank you for your time card, but Kevin is young so plenty of time you're right. Guess it happens, I really was a fan of Di Resta and Hulkenberg but neither got top rides, or in Di Resta's case any ride!
Oh and yeah, Max Verstappen 17 years old?? My god I was still nervous to drive the highway at that age!

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 16:41
I'm a fan of Alonso's as well, he will without doubt go down as one of the all time greats. People talk about drivers not being able to make a difference these days but when you look at it it's very rare for the best car not to win the championship, 95 might have been the last time and even then it's one of only a handful of times, yet Alonso came within 3 points of winning the 2012 title in a car that could only be considered 3rd best at a stretch, I think for his performance that year alone I'll be a fan for the rest of his career.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 18:35
Oh I had no idea, my face is red now Embarrassed
Yeah I agree fully, it's damn tough to really separate caliber of car from success, and you took the words out of my mouth, that 2012 year was a thing of wonder.  Also '07 fell short by 1 point and '10 was really a bit of a scandal that it fell apart at the end. 

Funny, years ago I think I was ranting how I thought Alonso would be a 5 time champion for sure and all that...I was just being a crazed fan but how close I came! 
I know I've told the story, when I started watching in 2003 all I knew is I disliked Schumacher (though that ended up changing) so I just latched onto the first names that jumped at me, which were Kimi and Alonso. 05-07 was a great stretchLOL OH! Also JJ wont the 2004 ALMS title so 04-07 was a pretty glorious run. 

Edited by JJLehto - March 06 2015 at 18:36
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 19:34
i am excite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>