Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRIP Edgar Froese.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:03
We lost one of the best.  I'm trying not to get emotional right now.  Tangerine Dream is huge to me.  There will never be another Tangerine Dream album or concert.  That is hard to process. Thanks for everything, Edgar.  You will be missed.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 11:46
^ Seconded.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:17
Hi,

It's hard to put into words a feeling.

I don't feel empty. I don't feel unsatisfied. I feel elated, and having had the chance to enjoy this music all these years, has been for a long time one of the best things in my life. It never failed to lift me, and help make the next day even better!

I know that we're mortal, and it is hard to imagine that Vangelis, Oldfield, Schulze and others will eventually follow, but what they have left behind has been a massive legacy of some of the most creative work in the 20th century and in the beginning of the 21st century. It is hard to imagine that anything/anyone else, could have stood up and spoken, so eloquently as his music did.

I guess that I can shed a tear, and maybe go for a walk ... try to put things in perspective, and maybe even find a little mortality in myself, and those I love the most and cherish very dearly for everything they have inspired for me in this journey ... all this time ... 

One can only hope that his unfinished autobiography gets released one of these days, complete with the missing chapter ... life, sometimes ... is just life, isn't it?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It's hard to put into words a feeling.

I don't feel empty. I don't feel unsatisfied. I feel elated, and having had the chance to enjoy this music all these years, has been for a long time one of the best things in my life. It never failed to lift me, and help make the next day even better!

I know that we're mortal, and it is hard to imagine that Vangelis, Oldfield, Schulze and others will eventually follow, but what they have left behind has been a massive legacy of some of the most creative work in the 20th century and in the beginning of the 21st century. It is hard to imagine that anything/anyone else, could have stood up and spoken, so eloquently as his music did.

I guess that I can shed a tear, and maybe go for a walk ... try to put things in perspective, and maybe even find a little mortality in myself, and those I love the most and cherish very dearly for everything they have inspired for me in this journey ... all this time ... 

One can only hope that his unfinished autobiography gets released one of these days, complete with the missing chapter ... life, sometimes ... is just life, isn't it?

beautifully putApprove
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Wakeman's Birotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:49
Demis Roussos also died this weekend. It's a very sad week for progressive music..
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 16:23
Once he was a force majeure of electronic meditations crossing throgh countless Rubycons, now he is a visionary of invisible limits in Hyperborea.

Edgar Froese, thank you for the music.  
mwood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 19:50
I spent many years in the 1990s tracking down Tangerine Dream CDs - studio and live albums of course, but finding some of those soundtracks and solo CDs was hard! Great fun, though - before the age of downloads and instant musical gratification. :)

Thanks, Edgar, for all the music, and for Patrolling Space Borders for decades. Sorry I was a bit of a late-comer! Wish I could have seen you in concert.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:24
I was just watching my Canyon Dreams DVD on my new laptop a couple of weeks ago.  Also noticed that my 70's era CDs short by more than a few.  My '70's LPs were ruined in a house flood.
Electronic Meditation    1970
Phaedra    1974
Stratosfear    1976
Encore    1977
Underwater Sunlight    1986
Canyon Dreams    1986
Tyger    1987
Optical Race    1988
Lily On the Beach    1989
Turn of the Tides    1994
Goblins' Club    1996
Mars Polaris    1999

Enjoyed their stuff through three decades but don't seem to have anything post '90's.   Saw them live at the Center Stage Theater in Atlanta during the Optical Race tour.  The best light show I've ever seen.  Alas, I don't still have the t-shirt anymore. Cry

I also have Oasis on DVD.  Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 26 2015 at 20:30
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:33
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Saw them live at the Center Stage Theater in Atlanta during the Optical Race tour.  The best light show I've ever seen.  Alas, I don't still have the t-shirt anymore. Cry

San Diego, California Theater in '88! I don't have my tour shirt, either. Cry

It was a killer show. We saw a unique line-up!

Check out this cool "Sungate" TV clip filmed right after the tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu261-AZ8mw&feature=youtu.be
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 21:33
Saw them at the Coulston Hall, Bristol , UK, 1997 - Man what a night!

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 01:21
Originally posted by Wakeman's Birotron Wakeman's Birotron wrote:

Demis Roussos also died this weekend. It's a very sad week for progressive music..

Indeed and the BBC devoted a small spot on its main news bulletin for Demis quite rightly. However nothing as yet for Edgar. However I wouldn't say this is totally about ignorance and by complete coincidence they ran a report about the legacy of Kraftwerk almost the same day that Edgar died. A little bit ironic. I expect the BBC will do something on Tangerine Dream in the next few weeks ( he said hopefully).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 10:47
EM great Jean-Michel Jarre has chimed in.

"Today electronic music is orphaned of one of its most important father figures, Edgar Froese, the soul of Tangerine Dream - Band.
Edgar and I always followed each others work. We started electronic music at the same time. We spent some time together recently and we became instant old friends. I remember his vision of Life, his humor, his mysterious smile.
Edgar, wherever you are in the weightlessness of space and time, be sure that you will always remain with me and with all of us through the timeless and unique sound of Tangerine Dream."
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 17:32
He was a great influence in my life.  The side "Monolight" from Encore showed me at a really early age that new music could sound beautiful that was all electronic.  To this day, the melodic section at around 5 minutes is one of the most beautiful expressions of the power of electronic music.  He will be remembered as one of the towering greats of electronic music.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 22:17
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

EM great Jean-Michel Jarre has chimed in.

"Today electronic music is orphaned of one of its most important father figures, Edgar Froese, the soul of Tangerine Dream - Band.
Edgar and I always followed each others work. We started electronic music at the same time. We spent some time together recently and we became instant old friends. I remember his vision of Life, his humor, his mysterious smile.
Edgar, wherever you are in the weightlessness of space and time, be sure that you will always remain with me and with all of us through the timeless and unique sound of Tangerine Dream."

What an obituary.....Fond thoughts of Oxygene but always thought of it as second best next to TD. Feel like spinning some Popol Vuh......

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 12:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 13:39
^ Edgar started out as a blues guitarist. Would never have guessed!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:24
Excellent article/reflection, eh? I know of no other musical pioneer (of course, my brain is currently fogged) who was equally at home on guitar or synthesizers/electronics, and as he fervently devoted himself to creating music to the latter, he never forsook the guitar, either.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:33
Yep I always rated Edgar as a decent guitarist. 'Exhibit A' would be Underwater Sunlight and the track Song Of The Whale. Lovely stuff!

Edited by richardh - January 29 2015 at 01:33
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 01:41
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yep I always rated Edgar as a decent guitarist. 'Exhibit A' would be Underwater Sunlight and the track Song Of The Whale. Lovely stuff!

That, and "Cloudburst Flight," "A Dali-esque Fuse," "Pizarro and Atahuallpa," "Ride on the Ray," "Magic Lantern"...the list goes on. Did you watch the videoclip of "Sungate" from '89 I posted? I think Ed was definitely underrated in the guitar dept.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2015 at 13:53
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

That, and "Cloudburst Flight," "A Dali-esque Fuse," "Pizarro and Atahuallpa," "Ride on the Ray," "Magic Lantern"...the list goes on. Did you watch the videoclip of "Sungate" from '89 I posted? I think Ed was definitely underrated in the guitar dept.

I haven't yet mainly because I usually listen to a CD when I come on PA so I would need to turn it off or otherwise there is a clash. I will give it a listen at some point I'm sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>