Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOasis vs. Nirvana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [24.14%]
22 [75.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oasis vs. Nirvana
    Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:09
Not happy about it but it had to be done.

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:11
The killer woke up in Belgium. He poured alotta syrup on his waffles! And then he walked on down the hall!
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:52
No vote. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:56
I can't stand Oasis! Love Nirvana.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 13:07
Not even close for me.  There was an edge to Nirvana that I loved.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 15:28
In 1994, I was a metalhead. Nirvana wasn't a heavy metal band, but they made more racket than Oasis (and they weren't as megalomaniac as Oasis).
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 15:37
I'm not crazy about Oasis nor Nirvana. That said, "Unplugged in New York" is an amazing album. However, it's their renditions of other people's songs that I really like.
More heavy prog, please!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:13
I voted Oasis...Even after their peak popular period, they put out a series of pretty fine albums that didn't make as much of an impact but were full of just some really nice tunes. I've also got good memories of a girlfriend at the time that was a massive Britpop fan, and seeing Oasis together in Melbourne was a highlight. Besides, in the 90's, Oasis and the Spice Girls made British music cool again!

Nirvana...certainly liked them when I was a kid, but now they kind of make me cringe. I always get a laugh when people go on about what a `tortured genius' Kurt Cobain was. I was in a music store a couple of mouths back that had Nirvana blaring, and after about ten minutes I thought `For f**ks sake, grow up!' God, made me feel like I'd gone back in time and regressed to my childhood.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:23
I don't particularly like Oasis but I can't stand Nirvana... Oasis then
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:24
Nirvana by so far, got all their albums and zero from Oasis. A lot of their stuff has relations to prog rock for me (e.g. the chords on songs like In Bloom), but they're just disguised with poppy melodies screamed out by Kurt and a regular 4/4 punky rhythm. Still awesome though...

Edited by Xonty - January 24 2015 at 16:25
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:33
Live songwriting 'chipper' genius versus dead nihilistic dick? It's a no-brainer.... Oasis (maybe the last truly great Rock band who can credibly rub shoulders with the likes of the Kinks, the Who and the Stones)
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:35
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I voted Oasis...Even after their peak popular period, they put out a series of pretty fine albums that didn't make as much of an impact but were full of just some really nice tunes. I've also got good memories of a girlfriend at the time that was a massive Britpop fan, and seeing Oasis together in Melbourne was a highlight. Besides, in the 90's, Oasis and the Spice Girls made British music cool again!

Nirvana...certainly liked them when I was a kid, but now they kind of make me cringe. I always get a laugh when people go on about what a `tortured genius' Kurt Cobain was. I was in a music store a couple of mouths back that had Nirvana blaring, and after about ten minutes I thought `For f**ks sake, grow up!' God, made me feel like I'd gone back in time and regressed to my childhood.

I was thinking about it, and yeah, Kurt was hardly a tortured soul. He was a punky music geek who wanted to make music and felt at home in the Seattle sound. He just added Pixies and *BLAM!* Nevermind. Just a bunch of really good and really sideways songs about love and anti-rebellion. Good enough to make me vote for his band.

And Oasis were a pretty cool band. Two great Britpop albums, a heck of a story when they got too big and coked up for their britches and cut whatever Be Here Now is, and then the low impact albums you mentioned are pleasant listens. Suede and Blur might've started the reignition of British popular music in the '90's, but it would be missing something vital if Oasis didn't pop up.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:52
Lear's, I probably should have just mentioned in my post that I definitely clicked with a lot of the British artists like Suede, Blur, Kula Shaker, etc much more than Nirvana.

`Be Here Now'....man I love that bloated beast of an album! A band and their egos disappearing so far up their rear ends and aiming for the stars! Actually, the tunes are really strong on that one, it's just hilarious how long each track goes on for, every one an epic that keeps building and building! But you're right, the story of it is probably more interesting than the music.

One thing about Oasis is that after all the boasting and egos, they also managed some really sweet, touching and heartfelt songs like `Don't Go Away', `Stop Crying Your Heart Out' and `Songbird'.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 16:58
^ Oh yeah. Britpop was filled to the brim with good stuff. Any other big Britpop band vs. Nirvana and I'd have to think for awhile about my choice. And Oasis certainly created touching stuff, I just haven't held them in quite the same regard as the others much as I like 'em. Personal preference. Still get down to "Supersonic", my first Oasis song, and a lot of their big hits. And never hated Be Here Now.

And I actually take a strange fascination to having to turn my stereo down a couple of pegs when I put on an Oasis album due to their mild brickwalling. Tongue
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 17:42
If Dave Grohl had written all the songs and sung them instead of Cobain, I'd probably prefer Nirvana. But I like The Foo Fighters even more.

If Noel Gallagher had slaughtered his younger brother at an early age and prevented his horrible, whiny voice ever being recorded, Oasis would have been better, though Noel might have been in jail. But I much prefer his High Flying Birds.

As for Oasis and Nirvana, they're equally awful.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 17:59
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If Noel Gallagher had slaughtered his younger brother at an early age and prevented his horrible, whiny voice ever being recorded, Oasis would have been better, though Noel might have been in jail.

hahahha.  You get the Micky post of the day for that one dude.

Nirvana for me man... helped immensely by the 'legend' aspect of ..umm..  Cobain's untimely passing. 
They never got a chance to overstay their welcome, and go U2 or Pearl Jam and utterly become overexposed and lose whatever initial enjoyment listeners got... and what they did put out was highly energetic, fun, and most importantly of all... vindicated my own fashion tastes going back 20 years before grunge of having 7 different flannel shirts for each day of the week.  It was fun to see Flannel in style. LOL  Even better to see the fad pass now I can wear them with pride again.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:41
Nirvana
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 21:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

If Noel Gallagher had slaughtered his younger brother at an early age and prevented his horrible, whiny voice ever being recorded, Oasis would have been better, though Noel might have been in jail.

hahahha.  You get the Micky post of the day for that one dude.

Nirvana for me man... helped immensely by the 'legend' aspect of ..umm..  Cobain's untimely passing. 
They never got a chance to overstay their welcome, and go U2 or Pearl Jam and utterly become overexposed and lose whatever initial enjoyment listeners got... and what they did put out was highly energetic, fun, and most importantly of all... vindicated my own fashion tastes going back 20 years before grunge of having 7 different flannel shirts for each day of the week.  It was fun to see Flannel in style. LOL  Even better to see the fad pass now I can wear them with pride again.
Unfortunately for you it's back in style again. Tongue
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 21:58
Nirvana I guess, but I really don't like either much.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 22:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Nirvana I guess, but I really don't like either much.
+1
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>