Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStrange choices of additions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange choices of additions
    Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:08
To expose my arguments, I choose :

non-added : Buckethead and Aphex Twin
added : Steve Vai and Robert Rich

Robert Rich is ambient music. Not progressive. Aphex Twin made an electronic near progressive with complex time signatures, creative compositions, etc...
Buckethead made many long songs, complex time signatures, even concept albums, and on RateYourMusic, he has Progressive Rock, Experimental Rock, Progressive Metal, Jazz Fusion in his main genres. Steve Vai is also progressive, but never made a song more than 9 minutes, and not many complex time signatures, etc...

So Aphex Twin more progressive than Robert Rich and Buckethead more progressive than Steve Vai. But Aphex Twin and Buckethead are NOT added and Robert Rich and Steve Vai are added. I think that it's really strange. What do you think ? 

PS : If you think that you won't add Buckethead because there's too many albums, I can add them. I already add all his albums on ProgFreak :)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:24
Not really that familiar with any of them, but I would suggest you search for the Buckethead threads in "Suggest New Bands" as I'm fairly sure there's been a lot of discussion about his addition (or not).

btw, Steve Vai is in prog-related.
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:44
I already looked  at the Buckethead threads, I even created one of them. Every time, the admin says no, and I don't know why he's not added and bands like Oingo Boingo are added
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:23
Read the Prog Electronic definition here on PA. IDM isn't a genre that we accept.

I think you're selling RR short by calling him mere ambient as well. His work does tend towards New Age, but he has more than enough influence from 70's cosmic synth music and Krautrock's hypnotic and almost meditational sound (depending on the band) to fit the definition.

Edited by Sheavy - January 26 2015 at 13:24
floflo79 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:30
And for Buckethead?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 13:43
Originally posted by floflo79 floflo79 wrote:

And for Buckethead?

If you've read all the threads about Buckethead, and still don't agree with the decision to not add him, I'm not sure what more can be said or done.  I'm afraid you'll just have to disagree with the decision and move on.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 14:57
I've been here a long time- not as long as many others, mind you- but long enough to know that "exposing your arguments" (odd choice of wording) by comparing who is in the database with who is not generally means not getting taken seriously.

Anyway, I was the one who raised this as a possibility for inclusion.  We voted and it was added.

Our team also discussed Buckethead, but never reached a consensus.  One of our members offered any collaborator the opportunity to send him a rough biography and a list of albums that would be of interest to the progressive rock community.  No one ever has.  That was in 2010.

I reminded our team of Buckethead in 2013.  A current member thinks Prog Related is the most appropriate place and I can agree with that.

So I will assume possession of the offer a former collaborator made in 2010: If someone knowledgeable of Buckethead can PM me:

a) a rough draft of biography
b) a list of albums that are of interest to a prog rock fan.

I will make a formal request to the admin team to accept Buckethead in Prog Related.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 20:54
No need to PM

a) he's just this guy with a bucket on his head that plays prog sometimes. Tongue

BTW, to the OP, stay tuned, I'm certain you can count on things to get weirder.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 26 2015 at 22:08
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ultra plinian View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 19:12
I have not posted much on these forums and my input may be of little worth, but I have to comment about Buckethead.

In the past, Buckethead may not have been considered a progressive artist. Sure, he's appeared in progressive projects like Thanatopsis. Perhaps it is the historical image of a guitar shredder that has kept him out of the archive. Whatever it is, I think folks must take into consideration his recent works and reconsider the notion that he is and has been a progressive artist for some time now. In the year 2014, alone, Buckethead released more progressive music within his Pikes series of albums than most progressive rock bands/artists release in a lifetime. What's even more ridiculous? I would only consider perhaps a third of those Pikes releases as falling under a progressive category at all. Nobody is as prolific as him right now, maybe ever. Whether you like him or not, he deserves a place in these archives.

Edited by ultra plinian - February 10 2015 at 17:06
"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -Tyrion Lannister from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:23
^ it's true that he has released much more prog than other 'shredders' such as George Bellas, Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Mike Batio, etc.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 21:12
It's hard to keep up with an artist who releases albums faster than I can post, but hang tight and have a little bit of faith in this old collaborator.
 Post Reply Post Reply