Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes and Toto Tour 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes and Toto Tour 2015
    Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:55
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

^There are worse Yes albums than "Tormato".  "Talk", and the real stinker "Open Your Eyes" come to mind right away.

Agree---yeah it makes me sick to see what Yes has become----I was not at LA show but a friend who was said Yes fans ---a lot of them---left before the end. I have very high standard for the band so I haven't seen them in years---the YouTube videos are painful enough to watch.Cry
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:45
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

As it was, Toto was a billion times better than that feeble phoned in Yes show.  The funny thing is, after the Toto set, everyone went to the merch stand to buy the new album (which is incredible).  I saw a lot of die hard yes fans leave in the middle of the Yes set.  Yes sounded feeble and sloppy.  The sound was terrible too.  You couldn't hear Geoff Downes keyboards AT ALL.  

AND WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO CONCENTRATE ON MATERIAL FROM TORMATO.  A colossal waste of talented musicians.  Who got it in their head to say, "lets' open with and concentrate on our worst album?" because that's what happened.  I'm a die hard Yes fan my whole life, and they completely disappointed me.  Almost made me cry. Cry

Toto proved most of you folks wrong.  They were incredible and that new album (Toto XIV) is probably the best thing they've done.  If you haven't heard it yet, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.  (And when you are done with that, listen to their second album "Hydra" and tell me they are not worthy...  Ignore Africa and Rosanna... they were cash cows).
This is sad but true when I saw them. I knew it was going to be bad when I saw the setlist consist of 'Onward, Don't Kill The Whale, Tempus Fugit (although I love that song), Time And A Word, and Owner.' And Toto was on fire, Lukather played like a madman and Paich showed no mercy with the keys as he pounded away at them. Not being a huge Toto fan, I found some of my favourite songs from that show being on XIV, with me thinking that they were big hits. Huge respect for them, and also went out to buy their album. Only good things to really come out of it is I got a new t-shirt and I saw Howe live (THE CLAP WAS ON THE SETLIST AND CHICAGO WAS THE ONLY SHOW WHERE HE DIDNT PLAY IT) 
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:23
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

^There are worse Yes albums than "Tormato".  "Talk", and the real stinker "Open Your Eyes" come to mind right away.

I rather enjoyed Tormato, and also loved Talk, which, to me, was an exceptional album. Agree about Open Your Eyes,though - an absolute stinker of an album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

As it was, Toto was a billion times better than that feeble phoned in Yes show.  The funny thing is, after the Toto set, everyone went to the merch stand to buy the new album (which is incredible).  I saw a lot of die hard yes fans leave in the middle of the Yes set.  Yes sounded feeble and sloppy.  The sound was terrible too.  You couldn't hear Geoff Downes keyboards AT ALL.  

AND WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO CONCENTRATE ON MATERIAL FROM TORMATO.  

a. the shows I saw were good, and no one seemed that impressed by Toto at either one.  b. Yes only played one song from Tormato, Don't Kill the Whale.  The opening piece (Onward) was a recording.

Don't know what happened at your show - are you sure you were paying attention?
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 11:05
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 10:36

AND WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS IT TO CONCENTRATE ON MATERIAL FROM TORMATO.  A colossal waste of talented musicians.  Who got it in their head to say, "lets' open with and concentrate on our worst album?" because that's what happened.  I'm a die hard Yes fan my whole life, and they completely disappointed me.  Almost made me cry. Cry

Toto proved most of you folks wrong.  They were incredible and that new album (Toto XIV) is probably the best thing they've done.  If you haven't heard it yet, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.  (And when you are done with that, listen to their second album "Hydra" and tell me they are not worthy...  Ignore Africa and Rosanna... they were cash cows).

Edited by cemego - September 30 2015 at 10:38
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 19:14
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Contrary to popular PA opinion I happen to like Toto a great deal. Superb musicianship and songwriting. Like Yes obviously. I see the match.

I have seen both bands live several times so why not together although this is probably not the concertgoer any of the bands is hoping to see as none of the bands is going to win me over as a fan.

I'd actually go to see Toto anytime but wouldn't want to sit through any recent Yes. The classics - fine, but not a great deal after Relayer.

And Toto are not simply AOR - they're a phenomenal bunch of musicians who play mostly highly progressive music. They released a few successful singles, but so did many other bands. Listen to Absolutely Live to hear them at their best.

The only thing I cringe at is in the song Africa, where the lyrics say "Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti". They certainly haven't been there, because you can't even see Kilimanjaro from the Serengeti!!

Edited by Hercules - May 14 2015 at 19:28
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2015 at 17:34
There's actually past Yes-Toto connections: Jon's guesting on "The Seventh One", and Steve Porcaro was a member of Chris' solo tour in '92.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Toto are okay but the only thing I remember about the gig I went to was possibly the most boring solo keyboard spot of all time which was the cue for a mass exodus to the toilets. Trouble with Toto is that there is only 3 songs that you really want to hear.

So you're saying there are three.

Actually, "Falling in Between" was a really good album, there was a surprising amount of proggy goodness in there and much less Rosanna.  I haven't had a chance to spin the new one yet, I'm checking out Ozric Tentacles at the moment, but may give it a whirl later on in the day.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:31
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Toto are okay but the only thing I remember about the gig I went to was possibly the most boring solo keyboard spot of all time which was the cue for a mass exodus to the toilets. Trouble with Toto is that there is only 3 songs that you really want to hear.

I thought they only released one album called Africa.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:02

Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 15:26
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

the last part is not completly ture though

for me there's only 1 song: Hold the Line
Progrockdude
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:26

the last part is not completly ture though
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:22
it will be a very sad thoughts, yet also very solemn concert tour in regards to Mike Porcaros passing any Toto concert now has a certain emotional weight, Toto is all about the Porcaros, so support Steve Porcaro is a good reason for me to buy a ticket.

Edited by Icarium - May 05 2015 at 12:23
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Yes and Toto... that could be quite good, actually. Wink

Sure could.
Lukather is a great guitar player and they made lots of great tracks.
Shake & bake.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 18:56
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

This is actually a college nightmare of mine coming true ---when I was in college a cool arty friend of mine said what bands do you like? After a long pause wondering if I should admit it....I said Yes. Before I could tell him to check out HOTSR, Gates or Ctte---he was like--Eeew aren't they like Toto? I was like hell no they are nothing like Toto!! It was too late---I died of embarrassment.LOL

awwwww........ Cry
Progrockdude
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 17:58
This is actually a college nightmare of mine coming true ---when I was in college a cool arty friend of mine said what bands do you like? After a long pause wondering if I should admit it....I said Yes. Before I could tell him to check out HOTSR, Gates or Ctte---he was like--Eeew aren't they like Toto? I was like hell no they are nothing like Toto!! It was too late---I died of embarrassment.LOL
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 16:02
Probably a bunch of tunes I'd rather not hear again. Just stay with what works, lads.
MUDKAT View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 15:19
Anyone have any idea what set Yes is going to play?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 02:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>