Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes and Toto Tour 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes and Toto Tour 2015
    Posted: January 27 2015 at 14:30
http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2015-01-27/yes-and-toto-planning-us-tour

the link up above says it all, with interviews between David Paich of Toto and Alan White Yes both stating a joint North American tour starting in August. any thoughts about it (even though the majority of you probably wouldn't go)?
Progrockdude
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 15:50
won't go---like seeing half a Yes show and I don't like Toto---Yes should never share a bill with another group--unless it's Steve Hackett.Cool
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 16:30
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

won't go---like seeing half a Yes show and I don't like Toto---Yes should never share a bill with another group--unless it's Steve Hackett.Cool

xD
Progrockdude
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 17:27
Toto too?!
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 18:34
Yes and Magma would be fine... so that the British ones could learn that a band full of 60+ year old musicians can have a powerful drummer when they see the French ones... ha, ha, ha  Tongue
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 19:44
Even though it is not even close to their best, I might go if they actually promote their new album - or at least something else that isn't 40 years old.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2015 at 19:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Toto too?!

Okay I'll bite---Toto too.Wink

I did read they will play some of the new album which I would like to hear but Toto is a no no.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 08:07
I'll be sitting this one out.  Even though Yes are treading water at this point (and have been for years now), I'll always go see them play, but not if I have to sit through Toto.  As Toto won't be delegated to just being a "warm up" band, their presence will likely shorten the Yes set, which I do not approve of.

Edited by calm_sea - February 14 2015 at 08:07
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 08:14
Originally posted by calm_sea calm_sea wrote:

I'll be sitting this one out.  Even though Yes are treading water at this point (and have been for years now), I'll always go see them play, but not if I have to sit through Toto.  As Toto won't be delegated to just being a "warm up" band, their presence will likely shorten the Yes set, which I do not approve of.

feel the same ---they shouldn't tour with a big AOR band ---something arty or folky is okay for a 30 min set but thats about it.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 09:01

feel the same ---they shouldn't tour with a big AOR band ---something arty or folky is okay for a 30 min set but thats about it.

I 100% agree.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 09:23

most redicules statement ive ever read.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:19
Contrary to popular PA opinion I happen to like Toto a great deal. Superb musicianship and songwriting. Like Yes obviously. I see the match.

I have seen both bands live several times so why not together although this is probably not the concertgoer any of the bands is hoping to see as none of the bands is going to win me over as a fan.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 13:33
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

if that is the most ridiculous statement you ever read on here you live a sheltered lifeWink pretty common for Yes to not tour with anyone over the years---they seem to have long songs and long sets---but anyway knock yourself out loving Toto----not my kind of music Period. Think a lot of prog fans are not into them good musicians or not---rather go to a proper jazz concert but that's just my taste.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 21:12
Toto? How many times can Rosanna kiss the rain down in Africa? And Yes without Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman (or at least Pat Moraz)? No thanks.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 10:24

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

if that is the most ridiculous statement you ever read on here you live a sheltered lifeWink pretty common for Yes to not tour with anyone over the years---they seem to have long songs and long sets---but anyway knock yourself out loving Toto----not my kind of music Period. Think a lot of prog fans are not into them good musicians or not---rather go to a proper jazz concert but that's just my taste.

Yeah, but just being around adoring Toto fans would be enough to give me the skieves. Anyone but them.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 17:08
They might as well tour with REO Speedwagon or Foreigner.  Yes and Toto are on the same label, so I am nearly positive this was a record label decision, not a band one.  All the recent Yes shows I've been to were sold out, so I don't see the purpose of doing this.  Maybe to cut touring costs?  Who knows.  I get the impression that the reason Yes are touring so constantly is because of recording contract requirements.  The possible heavy touring requirement is the same reason Jon Anderson likely couldn't return to the band.

Seriously though, I can't stand Toto.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 19:36

They might as well tour with REO Speedwagon or Foreigner.  Yes and Toto are on the same label, so I am nearly positive this was a record label decision, not a band one.  All the recent Yes shows I've been to were sold out, so I don't see the purpose of doing this.  Maybe to cut touring costs?  Who knows.  I get the impression that the reason Yes are touring so constantly is because of recording contract requirements.  The possible heavy touring requirement is the same reason Jon Anderson likely couldn't return to the band.

I can't stand them either---they have teamed up with other "popular" bands for summer tours before.
It is impossible to make a living in music unless you tour. It's the only way.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 22:20

I can't stand them either---they have teamed up with other "popular" bands for summer tours before.

And you've just correctly disagreed with calm-sea's explanation on why Yes is touring. Because that's where the money is! You are correct, sir! Big name acts like Yes no longer have to sign contracts requiring them to tour. It's that they have to! As for Anderson, well, the others pissed him off sufficiently enough while he was ill to send him running for z' hills.

Edited by Rednight - March 02 2015 at 22:28
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 13:57
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

And you've just correctly disagreed with calm-sea's explanation on why Yes is touring. Because that's where the money is! You are correct, sir! Big name acts like Yes no longer have to sign contracts requiring them to tour. It's that they have to! As for Anderson, well, the others pissed him off sufficiently enough while he was ill to send him running for z' hills.

Frontiers.... one of these days you need to let go of these people for something called f**king rest... i guess. (lol, a rhyme)

Edited by Michael678 - March 03 2015 at 13:57
Progrockdude
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 14:29
Yes and Toto... that could be quite good, actually. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>