Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA general survey about P.A. and RYM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A general survey about P.A. and RYM
    Posted: January 29 2015 at 22:16
I found this general music survey about P.A. and RYM recently on the internet. It's interesting, although written in 2008 it's still very relevant today considering nothing much if anything has changed.
It's very much detailed, here is their Abstract summary index first page:

A general survey of social software is presented with a focus in social music cataloging services. Two example systems review and rating functionality are compared in detail. We observed a case of distorted product ratings, where overactive fan base promoted a single album at the expense of others. Despite the potential for unfair ratings, social cataloging systems are a promising form of participatory media, challenging and complementing traditional, professional reviews used in printmedia. Some suggestions are provided to issue the reliability and fairness of individual reviews.

I downloaded the pdf report, however here is the link: http://users.jyu.fi/~minurmin/opiskelu/web20/ratings.pdf

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 00:12
^ Thank you, Kati. If you had not posted that report, I would not have learned that King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 00:13
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

^ Thank you, Kati. If you had not posted that report, I would not have learned that King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused
hahaha! Sventonio, I read that too Smile my pleasure and thank you too to you.
Hugs Hug
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 02:50
^ Kati, this would be slightly of the topic but for me it's a kind of confirmation of my own hypothesis that *Eclectic Prog* the term was invented due to the serious problem that was - where to place King Crimson, the great band with so eclectic catalogue? with invented term *Eclectic Prog*, the problem is solved and everybody's happy.

Personally, I do like that *Eclectic Prog* the term as the name of the PA sub-genre as well, and I'm going to take this exceptional opportunity to express my gratitude to the one who came up with the idea for the *Eclectic prog* sub-genre - whoever it was.

However, all these unnecessary doubts regarding the sub-genre that not exist outside this site, would not exist if back then someone get very simple idea to make the national categories - same as *Rock Progressive Italiano*. Thus, King Crimson would have been placed immediately where they belong - in the British prog category; all Polish bands would be in the category of Polish prog, ex-Yugoslavia prog bands should be in ex-Yugoslav prog section (for example, my fav ex-Yugoslav band Smak is in PA' JR/F section although Smak actually have nothing less eclectic catalogue than e.g. KC) then Spanish progressive rock would be in PA's Rock Progresivo Español section, U.S. bands would be in U.S. Progressive rock section and so on.

Of course, some will say that it can not cover these definitions of certain styles, such as progressive psychedelia, jazz rock, symphonic rock, progressive metal, heavy prog, progressive electronic etc., but these stylistic definitions (and the time frames also) anyway would be certainly written in the biographies of the bands and in the reviews of the albums.
 Just my two cents Smile

Edited by Svetonio - January 30 2015 at 02:54
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 03:13
^So if one is looking for say progressive electronic they will have to wade through individual countries and study biographies to see if it's there? Doesn't compute to be honest.
I do however miss the opportunity of band listing by country. If we somehow could implement that as a feature on PA, I'd be a happy bunny
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 03:59

^ Kati, this would be slightly of the topic but for me it's a kind of confirmation of my own hypothesis that *Eclectic Prog* the term was invented due to the serious problem that was - where to place King Crimson, the great band with so eclectic catalogue? with invented term *Eclectic Prog*, the problem is solved and everybody's happy.

Personally, I do like that *Eclectic Prog* the term as the name of the PA sub-genre as well, and I'm going to take this exceptional opportunity to express my gratitude to the one who came up with the idea for the *Eclectic prog* sub-genre - whoever it was.

However, all these unnecessary doubts regarding the sub-genre that not exist outside this site, would not exist if back then someone get very simple idea to make the national categories - same as *Rock Progressive Italiano*. Thus, King Crimson would have been placed immediately where they belong - in the British prog category; all Polish bands would be in the category of Polish prog, ex-Yugoslavia prog bands should be in ex-Yugoslav prog section (for example, my fav ex-Yugoslav band Smak is in PA' JR/F section although Smak actually have nothing less eclectic catalogue than e.g. KC) then Spanish progressive rock would be in PA's Rock Progresivo Español section, U.S. bands would be in U.S. Progressive rock section and so on.

Of course, some will say that it can not cover these definitions of certain styles, such as progressive psychedelia, jazz rock, symphonic rock, progressive metal, heavy prog, progressive electronic etc., but these stylistic definitions (and the time frames also) anyway would be certainly written in the biographies of the bands and in the reviews of the albums.
 Just my two cents Smile

Thank youSmile! It was me who came up with the Eclectic Prog definition, a long time ago. I remember that couple of times I had to defend it in other forums, where people had taken exception to my "invention".
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:04
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^So if one is looking for say progressive electronic they will have to wade through individual countries and study biographies to see if it's there? Doesn't compute to be honest.
I do however miss the opportunity of band listing by country. If we somehow could implement that as a feature on PA, I'd be a happy bunny
Well, nothing is perfect ... However, I do not think it would be a big problem to find  e.g. Tangerine Dream in supposed *German Prog* section.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:16
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just my two cents Smile

Thank youSmile! It was me who came up with the Eclectic Prog definition, a long time ago. I remember that couple of times I had to defend it in other forums, where people had taken exception to my "invention".
Congrats again! It was really ingenious solution for KC (and many others) in that pretty unique categorization of the PA' sub-genres.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 04:53

Forgive my confusion here but PA's Eclectic Prog definition is credited to one 'Ricochet (Victor)'Confused

Sue the swines Raff...
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 05:00
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Forgive my confusion here but PA's Eclectic Prog definition is credited to one 'Ricochet (Victor)'Confused

Sue the swines Raff...

Sorry, I did come up with the WORD, not the definition we have here on the site. Actually, I did not have a hand in writing any of the three former Art Rock definitions. But I claim credit for the word, and I believe there are a few people who can vouch for that.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 05:14
hah.  I can claim the process was not an easy one hahaha.

Raff's suggestion of the term 'Eclectic' was what we when with... but IIRC the word 'eclectic' was not without a LOT of discussion and disagreements.  That was a hard one to deal with, the hardest of the three by far (and was definined and managed magnificiently by Vic and his later crew) because unlike the other two we created... there were not defining characteristics. It was one definited in a way by the LACK of them. 

I know Vic always disgreed with me but I thought instead of one large dumping ground.. we created one smaller one. If it doesn't x y or z... then it must be 'eclectic'. Just like Art Rock had been handled by the site for years, just at a vaster larger scale haha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 05:18

King Crimson was in former Prog Archives' Art Rock section Confused
PA has come a long way 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:20
One thing is for certain:

Wish You Were Here (along with Animals, Meddle, and other Floyd albums) is hailed as the classic on both sites.

Pink Floyd is hailed as the prog band.

And that Pink Floyd RULES.Clap
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:43

That feature exists (in a slightly limited form). Go to Top PA Albums from the main page, and change the search settings to 250 albums and a specific country, and it will at least get you the 250 albums for that country.
Here are the 38 for Denmark as prove :)
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:45

David, I'l make you happy today Tongue

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 06:49
Thanks you guys!!
Instant bookmark right there

It would however be cool if we had a feature on the frontpage that did all of this. A link that took you to listing by country. Maybe I can persuade Max.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:27
Nice of you to find and post this Sonia.

In all honesty though, I have no idea what was the purpose or scale of this article, it's written as if it was some sort of thesis or scientific paper but the contents is pretty poor, it's hardly anything beyond a descriptive article with some minimum of background search work. The introduction summary says "Some suggestions are provided to issue the reliability and fairness of individual reviews" which I would assume could be its most interesting output, but it doesn't actually provide any meaningful suggestions to address that issue. If this was intending to serve some serious purpose and I was their mentor I would demand quite much more from them than this.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Nice of you to find and post this Sonia.

In all honesty though, I have no idea what was the purpose or scale of this article, it's written as if it was some sort of thesis or scientific paper but the contents is pretty poor, it's hardly anything beyond a descriptive article with some minimum of background search work. The introduction summary says "Some suggestions are provided to issue the reliability and fairness of individual reviews" which I would assume could be its most interesting output, but it doesn't actually provide any meaningful suggestions to address that issue. If this was intending to serve some serious purpose and I was their mentor I would demand quite much more from them than this.
Thank you, Gerinski, I was just thinking of you and posted a comment at the same time too to you. Spooky Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:32
Music is not confined by arbitrary lines on a map. Stern Smile
What?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 07:52

Thanks you guys!!
Instant bookmark right there

It would however be cool if we had a feature on the frontpage that did all of this. A link that took you to listing by country. Maybe I can persuade Max.
I assume you ARE aware of this thread?

Embarrassed

If we can't fix this in the software then surely a link to this thread is an easy thing to do...

Edited by aapatsos - January 30 2015 at 07:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>