Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA general survey about P.A. and RYM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 17:20
That it is. It's about time someone made that clear - having an algorithm that diminishes the effect on ratings is a good thing, but that doesn't cover for reputation damage. Time to shake things up, finally?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2015 at 23:41
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

That it is. It's about time someone made that clear - having an algorithm that diminishes the effect on ratings is a good thing, but that doesn't cover for reputation damage. Time to shake things up, finally?

Easier said than done Angelo, however I have always been terrible in maths thus no wonder I chose “de pret paket” at College in Holland and excelled in it too (languages and history not hard, I know it was the clever option for me and I excelled in it) lol Big smileHug

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 02:35
LOL the 'pret pakket' haha. 

But that should be ok, I was more thinking about requiring an e-mail address and a real name to be provided when creating an account for starters. ;-)

Edited by Angelo - March 28 2015 at 02:38
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 02:47

LOL the 'pret pakket' haha. 

But that should be ok, I was more thinking about requiring an e-mail address and a real name to be provided when creating an account for starters. ;-)
hahaha Angelo LOL I knew you would get that Big smileHug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:07

I was more thinking about requiring an e-mail address and a real name to be provided when creating an account for starters. ;-)
People lie. Email addresses can be faked and spoofed, and my real name is Winston Leonard Spenser-Churchill (I used to be a British flag ... but I got better).

Prevention is better than cure - removing the ridiculous "instant rating" function would help considerably, in fact setting a rating-only needs to be made more complicated so that people cannot join the site with a fake email address, blitz 100s of albums with ratings and bugger off. Forcing a Catchpa test for every rating would slow them down and reduce the number of bogus rating they could achieve in a given time. Auto log off after each rating-only would also slow them down (or after every 2 or 3 anyway). Separating rating-only from review-rating would make a big difference.

Automatic IP address checking should also be employed to prevent two user accounts being used from the same IP address. (Genuine members who share the same IP address can be added to an "accepted exceptions" list).

However, since it is the rating-only voting abuse that gives the PA a bad image then the sensible recourse of action is to remove the feature completely. The original premise that it allows non-English speaker to contribute to the voting is flawed: the weighting system used to reduce the effect of abuse affects all rating-only votes, not just the bogus ones. Those non-English speakers are being punished unfairly for the crimes of a few idiots. The better solution (and this is so effing simple it's stupid) is to permit reviews in any language.

Seriously - why should we force people to write reviews in English? We can say that we prefer reviews to be written in English and English reviews can be given preference on the Front Page and on Band pages to emphasise that, but where is the harm in permitting people to write in the language they are fluent in? All I can see is benefit - the quality of the reviews will improve, the reader-base will increase and by using online auto-translators those monolinquists among us (such as I) can read what they write. It is better to have a great review written in Spanish, French, Welsh, etc, than a poor one written in English.

Edited by Dean - March 28 2015 at 06:09
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:23
Like Dean, I have been long in favour of removing the rating-only feature, and exactly for the same reasons. Nowadays, with the availability of online translators (which I would never recommend for anything professional, but which at least give a reasonable idea of the content of a foreign-language text), it does not make sense to ban reviews in languages other than English.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

the weighting system used to reduce the effect of abuse affects all rating-only votes

Seriously - why should we force people to write reviews in English?

Isn't the weighting system designed principally to encourage more written reviews? (I'm sure it wasn't designed to minimise the effects of manipulative ratings, that's just a fortuitous consequence of weighting a written review)

I'm not so sure of the gains to be had by foreign language reviews. Spoiler alert: I'm being lazy here and should really research this but... given the huge number of foreign language albums in the PA database, it stands to reason there must be loads of foreign language Prog sites in every continent. Ergo, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that a translator could be found amongst such a site's membership to translate their 'flagship' reviews into English. There is even an opportunity here to forge links with the broader Prog community by setting up a review translate/exchange partnership. I'm sure we have loads of multilingual critters on PA...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:52
The worse thing about the instant-rating feature - and this is indubitably the root-cause of all the perceived problems here - is the ability to instantly rate album from the chart pages.

It was a dumb idea in the first place and its dumb in practice that hasn't improved the functionality of the site one iota.

No one can write an album review by clicking a button on the chart page so why on Earth should this feature exist for ratings? No one has heard every album in a chart yet they can rate each of them en-mass with a few clicks of the mouse. All it does is encourage people to down-vote albums they've never heard. It is a licence to abuse the system and so we should not complain when idiots take advantage of it. 

It is stupidity writ large.
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 06:59
...and has some very interesting, undesirable side effects as we see now...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 07:08
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

the weighting system used to reduce the effect of abuse affects all rating-only votes

Isn't the weighting system designed principally to encourage more written reviews? (I'm sure it wasn't designed to minimise the effects of manipulative ratings, that's just a fortuitous consequence of weighting a written review)
I'm fairly sure that weightings were introduced as a result of abuse of the rating-only skewing the average score of an album. In all other sites that use weighting (IMDB etc) its primary use is to lessen the effect of abuse. Initially the weighting system was for collabs only and included their rating-only votes, this was later changed to be for reviews-only with an extra weighting for collab reviews.

I'm not so sure of the gains to be had by foreign language reviews. Spoiler alert: I'm being lazy here and should really research this but... given the huge number of foreign language albums in the PA database, it stands to reason there must be loads of foreign language Prog sites in every continent. Ergo, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that a translator could be found amongst such a site's membership to translate their 'flagship' reviews into English. There is even an opportunity here to forge links with the broader Prog community by setting up a review translate/exchange partnership. I'm sure we have loads of multilingual critters on PA...
In a few cases where lengthy and obviously earnestly serious reviews had been published in Spanish, attempts to find someone willing to translate them came to naught and alas they were deleted. Any human-translation partnership requires organisation and management as ad hoc systems are prone to fizzle out over time as people move away or become disinterested. Sure there could be (must be?) many foreign language Prog sites but there are no multilingual ones.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 08:18

I'm fairly sure that weightings were introduced as a result of abuse of the rating-only skewing the average score of an album. In all other sites that use weighting (IMDB etc) its primary use is to lessen the effect of abuse. Initially the weighting system was for collabs only and included their rating-only votes, this was later changed to be for reviews-only with an extra weighting for collab reviews.

Yet the weighting mechanism used by PA makes the impact of rating only reviews practically negligible towards the average score of an album? (unless they number in the hundreds of thousands which is mercifully rare but not unprecedented, as you will readily testify)

In a few cases where lengthy and obviously earnestly serious reviews had been published in Spanish, attempts to find someone willing to translate them came to naught and alas they were deleted. Any human-translation partnership requires organisation and management as ad hoc systems are prone to fizzle out over time as people move away or become disinterested. Sure there could be (must be?) many foreign language Prog sites but there are no multilingual ones.

OK a review exchange partnership with foreign language sites would clearly require organisation and management, but do the people round here honestly believe that a volunteer site will actually succeed in reflecting the views of its multilingual membership without the input, energy and work of erm....volunteers? We're often accused of ethnocentrism and I would concede the 'English only' stipulation probably plays into the accusers hands to a certain extent. Although I've now come round to the view that the 'ratings only' review facility should be scrapped, I'd be loathe to do this without recourse to providing some sort of contingency for foreign language speakers to be able to contribute meaningfully to the site. Is it even beyond a reasonable doubt that the site owner cares little for manipulative ratings as long as visitors are clicking on PA's revenue generating buttons?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 08:50
I AM a foreign-language speaker, and so are a lot of other PA members. Therefore, I can tell you that translating a review in good English (or good any other language) is not easy. As I said in my previous post, online translators can give you the gist of a text, and artists use them to make sense of reviews published on sites written in languages they are not familiar with. I would not recommend using any online translator for things that require accuracy (such as any professional translation), but in this particular case it should not be a problem. A direct link could be provided with any review written in a language other than English.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:03

Is it even beyond a reasonable doubt that the site owner cares little for manipulative ratings as long as visitors are clicking on PA's revenue generating buttons?

Clap
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:04

Yet the weighting mechanism used by PA makes the impact of rating only reviews practically negligible towards the average score of an album? (unless they number in the hundreds of thousands which is mercifully rare but not unprecedented, as you will readily testify)
No, not practically negligible, just a lot less (a factor of 10 or 20 times less) but enough to make a significant difference - an abuser has to create 20 bogus accounts to equal one Prog Reviewers review for example, very few manipulators go to those extremes and they are easy to detect from the Admin panel. Hundreds of thousands is not just unprecedented, it is for all intents and purposes impossible. This is why deliberate rating-abuse is ineffective on actual album averages.

The bad perception of rating-abuse is when one account abuses the system by rating 1000s of albums indiscriminately, (this is the not unprecedented thing). This has practically zero nett effect on album averages but looks bad when people look at that account's review page - people see 100's of 1-star ratings and think this has a big effect - it doesn't - it's merely perception. 

When an artist clicks on the account-name alongside a 1-star rating for their album and sees a page of 1-star ratings for other albums they rightfully conclude that the 1-star rating they got was abuse regardless of how little that 1-star actually affected their album. (I suspect they would not do this for a 5-star rating). Deleting that account's ratings has a minor knock-on effect on all the albums rated and not just the one by that artist, so as a result the artist could even see their album drop down the chart a few places as a new ranking order is computed. I should point out here that album chart position uses a different calculation system that is not related to the average weighting system which takes into account the number of ratings an album has.

How the weighting affects the average gives no indication of why it was introduced, you need to search the forum history to uncover that. I was involved in the detection and removal of bogus ratings for quite sometime and was interested in how the weighting system works for a while longer than that so have some recollection of that history.

Is it even beyond a reasonable doubt that the site owner cares little for manipulative ratings as long as visitors are clicking on PA's revenue generating buttons?
No comment. Wink
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:05
Apologies, this is in response to Raff:
Another Italian once said: Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.
Might 'things that require accuracy' include articulating their opinion about an artistic work without the danger of being misinterpreted, misunderstood or subject to ridicule? (Although we're both conversing in English and that hasn't been much help up to now...Confused)

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 28 2015 at 09:09
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:15
Dean, as much as I technically follow your explanations - the real problem is a lot closer to what Iain expresses: someone is making money from this, others are having fun and considering themselves master of the universe in their own isolated prog rock related sand box and meanwhile none of them seems to care that others are abusing site features for less than applaudable reasons. That's not the PA I joined 10 years ago, if I may say so...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:22
Bad etiquette of quoting myself, but fkit:

I should point out here that album chart position uses a different calculation system that is not related to the average weighting system which takes into account the number of ratings an album has.
People miss this: it is counter-intuitive but bogus 1-star ratings can have a positive effect on chart position.

Attracting 10 1-star ratings means that the total number of ratings increases by ten, this can alter the impact of all the higher-ratings when the QWR average is calculated. 

If you look at the 2014 chart you will see some albums with a lower weighted average are higher up the chart because they have a higher number of ratings. 

Since CVII has been mentioned a few times in this thread I'm sure Colin won't mind me using it as an example here: there are three other albums in the chart with the same weighted average score of 4.09 - they rank at 20, 51 and 82 compared to CVII chart position of 5 because they have fewer ratings. Deleting bogus ratings from the album at No 20 (Estirpe Lítica by Hominido) for example won't affect its average much but it will drop a few places down the chart because it now has fewer ratings.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:30

Dean, as much as I technically follow your explanations - the real problem is a lot closer to what Iain expresses: someone is making money from this, others are having fun and considering themselves master of the universe in their own isolated prog rock related sand box and meanwhile none of them seems to care that others are abusing site features for less than applaudable reasons. That's not the PA I joined 10 years ago, if I may say so...
Far be it for me to defend M@X, but this site costs money to operate and maintain. While I haven't seen the actual figures anyone with a little knowledge of how much things cost and how much a site can earn from web-traffic can do a quick calculation in the back of an envelope to see that he isn't lining his pockets with truck-loads of cash. I suspect the site mostly breaks-even and if there is profit then it is small-change. We don't pay a bean to enjoy its contents so have to tolerate the advertisements and the revenue they produce.

Abusers are not making money either - I suspect that, as we've seen with "maxfax", they probably think they are doing the artist a favour in trying to boost an albums chart position. 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:51
^ this is all speculation at best and no-one has a problem with the site owner earning a profit from his investment. My misgivings just might stem from what I infer as an expedient largesse extended towards transparently abusive member activities.
Similarly, no-one is remotely qualified to know the motives of member maxfax, yet he is still an active PA member 3 days after I contacted the Admins to confirm I had received a PM to review the 2nd Corvus Stone album which the band have publicly confirmed he/she was not authorised to send. Do we also consign this documented abusive behaviour to the too hard basket?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2015 at 09:57
Iain: maxfax is out of here whenever he reads the mail I sent him. It doesn't make sense to suspend him, if he doesn't receive any explanation and just keeps on doing what he normally does.
(I have also suspended all of his other accounts plus nuked every rating of his)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>