Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:40
Originally posted by TradeMark0 TradeMark0 wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Some might argue how metal has adopted influences from other genres of music such as Baroque, Free jazz, and 20th century classical music, but I have personally found all of those genres to be a more rewarding listen than metal. 
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Which metal have you check out by the way, in terms of the baroque, free jazz, modern classical kind?</span>

The majority of metal music is influenced by baroque music. This is even more apparent with symphonic and neoclassical metal. Most of the technical innovations made in "experimental" metal can be attributed to to free jazz and 20th century classical music.
I was asking about bands in particular. Metal is a diverse genre, so I can't tell whether the metal you've experienced that's supposed to be interesting is Yngwie Malmsteen, Riverside, Opeth, Kayo Dot, or Sunn O))). All very different artists.

I have listened to all of those. Opeth and Kayo Dot used to be my favorite metal bands. I should of mentioned that when I was into metal I explored every inch of it.
Well, at least it's not for lack of exposure to "good" bands that you don't like metal. To each his own. Thumbs Up One thing though: there's not a rock band whose "experimentalism" can't be attributed to free jazz and modern classical. That's because once you get to aleatory and free improvisation, there's not much further you can go in a closed system like Western music theory (aside from noise maybe). If you try to evaluate rock and metal based on Western music theory, you'll probably not find anything that goes further than free jazz or modern classical. Both rock and metal are "post-rules" i.e. rock and metal musicians and fans base the word "innovation" on things that sound and feel new not necessarily breaking the "rules" of Western theory, all of which, at this point, have been long broken. I dig free jazz and modern classical, but the metal bands I like that incorporate those influences to create what is, to me, a unique experience that I can't get in free jazz or modern classical, even if they are using the same compositional techniques. So it's not a divide between emotional and intellectual. The experimental metal bands you listened to, and prog rock are both intellectual and emotional to some extent (that's right, micky, metal can be intellectual), but the emotional aspect of metal is one that doesn't reach you like the emotions found in free jazz and modern classical, if I understand correctly.

Although, I can concur, that when I hear a band like Between the Buried and Me (not to single any band out), there's nothing that feels special about them, especially because, like you, I'm not so dazzled by the technical aspects of the composition which I have seen a million times before in aforementioned genres.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hair bands! What about hair bands?

seriously man... who didn't want to have hair like this LOL

A corpse? LOL

dude.. we are all walking talking corpses here man. One idiot driver or psycho wack job with a gun.. away from being a cold silent one. Come on.... need a better rebuttal.

Look at that hair.. tell me you didn't wish you had it, and half the life he probably lived. LOLClap Do we envy rock musicians for their talent.. pfff..  hell no.. most them have little more than we do.. we envy them for their fame and the fringe benefits.  Hair metal was the culmination of the true rock and roll life style.. instead of being covered in RS mag.. it was covered on MTV.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:12
micky, you asked who would not want to look like that. Not who would.

Only a dead man would not want to live that kind of life. And have you ever seen Sixx's wife? Heart hubba hubba!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:58

micky, you asked who would not want to look like that. Not who would.

Only a dead man would not want to live that kind of life. And have you ever seen Sixx's wife? Heart hubba hubba!

LOLClap

oh and on his wife... I make it point not to sneak peaks at other men's wives.. or other women..  it keeps Raff from tossing cookware at me and screaming at me in (her VERY sexy) Italian.

as far as she knows... I see no other women but her. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:33
^Duh! My bad! Embarrassed
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:42

^Duh! My bad! Embarrassed

LOL she's likely already pissed at me as it is..  any more and I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight.

tonight might not be a good night to do that Stevie Nicks: Rhiannon v. Sara poll you promised me.  I don't need to go on about how much I fantasized about Stevie.   Make that one tomorrow dude.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 15:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Songs about animals? That's tame! What about songs SUNG by animalsLOL?

Righteous! Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 15:55
Likewise this band has REAL dogs singing! Or growling and barking rather LOL

Edited by siLLy puPPy - January 31 2015 at 15:56
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 17:28
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Used to be a huge metal fan.  My 'problem' was I liked and always will like lots of other music and I eventually got sick of some of my metal loving friends berating my preferences in music just because some of the bands I liked weren't metal.  Also, the almost assembly-line uniformity in a lot of metal which makes it hard to drill down to the albums that are interesting, more so because the fans seem to seek out more metal that is like metal they already have.  Staying metal matters more than creativity.  Whatever.  Got sick of the posturing eventually.

But I still love blasting some of my favourite metal albums from time to time.  There's nothing like some magnificent crushing metal riffage to get the adrenaline pumping.  

Roger that.  Lol.  Most metal fans (maybe fans of most music?) are conservative and simply want more of what they like.  Nothing wrong with this, but I want a little more variety.

Metal was the music of my teens and affected me deeply.  Although I like nuance and sophistication in my music, i have trouble maintaining any interest in music that has no heaviness or aggression whatsoever.  And sometimes I just want that adrenaline rush.  

For the fans, one of my favorite 'metal screams.'

More heavy prog, please!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:41

At this point in history METAL music is an entire universe not just a small sub genre of the larger rock world possibly exceeding its scope in terms of sheer size surpassing progressive rock, indie rock or other niches. Of course many of this genres crossover. The truth of the matter in regard to the primary focus of this thread is that metal can be as simple or complex as your heart's desire with every shade varying in between. I have been a metalhead all my doggie days and still feel like i only scratch the surface of what's out there despite listening to new stuff every day. These sub genres of metal are little sub universes of their own with countless varieties of acts to choose from. Needless to say, i love metal. BTW i'm on the Errors & Omissions team on our sister site MMA so i have been getting more than my fill of new stuff!

Rocking Death
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 19:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

At this point in history METAL music is an entire universe not just a small sub genre of the larger rock world possibly exceeding its scope in terms of sheer size surpassing progressive rock, indie rock or other niches. Of course many of this genres crossover. The truth of the matter in regard to the primary focus of this thread is that metal can be as simple or complex as your heart's desire with every shade varying in between. I have been a metalhead all my doggie days and still feel like i only scratch the surface of what's out there despite listening to new stuff every day. These sub genres of metal are little sub universes of their own with countless varieties of acts to choose from. Needless to say, i love metal. BTW i'm on the Errors & Omissions team on our sister site MMA so i have been getting more than my fill of new stuff!

Rocking Death

Completely agree Clap

Edited by Pastmaster - January 31 2015 at 19:20
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 19:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, MSG, Rainbow, Dio.....old school metal I like.

hell yeah! Same here.. but in addition I am a card carrying member of the 80's hair metal fanclub...Clap

they taught us how to love... they taught us how to live...

remember....every badboy.. has his soft side LOL

it was post 90's metal that lost me..  I've slowly been getting back into that.

I was good with very early Motley Crue and Ratt, as I grew up in SoCal, but then hair metal just really turned me off. Even the crue after 2nd album I was pretty much done and I was full on prog, which in SoCal was pretty good FM radio wise and record stores had a good selection.
Bands like Scorps, Priest, Triumph, Maiden got me thru that hair metal period....
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 23:44

Well, at least it's not for lack of exposure to "good" bands that you don't like metal. To each his own. Thumbs Up One thing though: there's not a rock band whose "experimentalism" can't be attributed to free jazz and modern classical. That's because once you get to aleatory and free improvisation, there's not much further you can go in a closed system like Western music theory (aside from noise maybe). If you try to evaluate rock and metal based on Western music theory, you'll probably not find anything that goes further than free jazz or modern classical. Both rock and metal are "post-rules" i.e. rock and metal musicians and fans base the word "innovation" on things that sound and feel new not necessarily breaking the "rules" of Western theory, all of which, at this point, have been long broken. I dig free jazz and modern classical, but the metal bands I like that incorporate those influences to create what is, to me, a unique experience that I can't get in free jazz or modern classical, even if they are using the same compositional techniques. So it's not a divide between emotional and intellectual. The experimental metal bands you listened to, and prog rock are both intellectual and emotional to some extent (that's right, micky, metal can be intellectual), but the emotional aspect of metal is one that doesn't reach you like the emotions found in free jazz and modern classical, if I understand correctly.

Although, I can concur, that when I hear a band like Between the Buried and Me (not to single any band out), there's nothing that feels special about them, especially because, like you, I'm not so dazzled by the technical aspects of the composition which I have seen a million times before in aforementioned genres.

I generally agree with your post. 

I would like to point out that I don't necessarily care about the fact that metal isn't groundbreaking (many classical composers weren't groundbreaking either), but rather I find the diversity that metal is praised of isn't that great when compared with classical and jazz. I also think metal sounds too "compressed". I like hearing dynamics between soft and loud and highs and lows. Also, Noise is a perfectly viable direction for music to go in and it has been. I enjoy noise composers, especially Stockhausen.

I actually still enjoy Black Sabbath, Especially their first album. I would like to note that it contains all the elements that would later become cliches in the metal genre.

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 23:55

Also, Noise is a perfectly viable direction for music to go in and it has been. I enjoy noise composers, especially Stockhausen.
Oh me too, and even some harsh noise. I was not meaning to write it off with my comment. Smile
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 18:11
Awful, hate it, shouldn't be included in prog

Time always wins.
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 19:26
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Would you care to explain?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 05:08

Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Would you care to explain?

Hey, don't feed the troll.
Phaolrym View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 06:21
The thing I know for certain is that, the more I got into metal, the more picky I've become. I realized at some point that I don't like artificial experimentation, pretentious sophistication in metal; on the other hand I don't also like too generic and uncreative metal. My favourite metal sub-genre is prog metal, but there did (and may still) come a time when i like(d) bands from most of the other sub-genres.

I also find "all metal is this, all metal is that" comments bland and pretentious, and have serious doubts about the background -of knowledge and experience- behind these words.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234