Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen will the album format in prog go away?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:02
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I am the producer of my own music. And I decide what I release independent of money. :-)
Actually, I'm not sure how many of the general public go off piste and look for new, Indie bands on Bandcamp et al. But is the argument of "consumers' buying habits" relevant to prog rock, a minor spin off genre ?
No, it is not directly relevant to prog rock. It is relevant to the original question about the album format going away.
Prog is a part of the overall music scene. If the album format goes away, it will go away for all types of music.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:05
Yes but. ;-)

You're comparing what happens with commercial, high volume sales music to what happens with prog rock, with comparatively few listeners, less money and different impetuses for creating music.

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:19

Yes but. ;-)

You're comparing what happens with commercial, high volume sales music to what happens with prog rock, with comparatively few listeners, less money and different impetuses for creating music.

You're right, I'm talking about the overall music industry.
If that industry makes a major change is it possible that smaller independent labels could still produce music for specific groups of listeners? I hope so.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Good morning HackettFan
When I say industry I mean the people (producers, labels, etc) who decide what music gets made and released in the first place.
I'm sure they are well aware of the fact that a lot of people download for free or pay $1.50 for one song instead of twelve or fourteen bucks for a complete CD.
When they see changes in the consumers' buying habits the will adjust accordingly. They are, and always have been, in the business to make money.
Key words here are consumers' buying habits.
Good morning to you too. I still don't understand why they would be adjusting to free. Zero is zero no matter how many times you multiply it. The extent to which the music industry is adjusting in that fashion has nothing to do with the consumers you're referring to, because they get nothing from them. The reason they're moving in the direction you've referred to is because they are at the mercy of the directions in the tech industry.

Edited by HackettFan - January 31 2015 at 11:52
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:13

Hi Micky - fair enough. ;-)

You see, the problem I have with that is....... I don't write music for the general public. Nor do I write music for "prog fans". I write music for myself.

It happens to be about 40 mins long. ;-)

I think when lots of musicians start writing music for themselves, and not for fans or commercial interests, we'll see something interesting happening. The length of a piece of music doesn't guarantee quality, of course - listen to a lot of trance music - but it allows you to go in directions which a three minute song won't let you.

Sorry, if most of the general public don't have long attention spans........... that's their problem. ;-)

yeah... I hesitated to post here. I know you are a working musician, MORE power to you and damn bless you, and a prog one at that. I didn't want to get into a pissing contest with you.

However.... I love prog rock as much as the next guy. But funny... Raff and I just got back from a pizza/beer/grocery trip and on the way... we were both shaking our asses in the car seats and bobbing our heads to a damn Madonna song that came on the radio (Holiday of course Clap). I'm sorry man...  I can't buy that anyone, and definitely not me are brain washed or conditioned to like good pop music. It is music man... I don't care if it comes in a 3 minute package or 40 minute.  If it connects and is well done ...that is all that matters.

The problem with prog...  in order to have do a 20 ..30...40 minute long song/composition that does connect.. you DAMN well be good at what you do. Else you will lose people.. therein lies the rub.. most simply are not. Thus you have the continued worship of those that could make it work.. and the disregard or antipathy towards those who followed that try to do the same.. and simply don't have the chops, creativity or shear talent in composition TO make it work.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:37
I think an aspect previously missed is that prog is a music genre that put the album format to its own uses by coming up with concept albums.

The long-play record was invented for the sake of classical music - to have a medium where an entire symphony movement fits on one side of a record, such that you could have a whole 4-movement symphony in a two-record package without any interruptions in the flow of music other than the intermissions between the movements.

Rock music, in contrast, began as (and to the major part still is) a genre of music using the format of the 45 RPM single (which in turn "inherited" its playing time from the 78 RPM schellac record), and albums, as has been said here, were (and often still are) just collections of 8 to 12 (or more, e.g. in punk rock, where many songs are shorter than 2 minutes, such that 20 or more fit on a single album) songs.  The first rock albums were what are now termed compilations - collections of songs that had been previuously published (as singles), and recorded at different times.  And that is why they are named albums.

Only in the mid-60s, albums became the primary publishing format of rock music, as they are today.  This was when bands began to view the album as something more than just a collection of independent songs.  Opinions differ, of course, which album was the first concept album - it is not really possible to draw a line: how much musical or textual coherence is necessary to make an album a "concept album"?

(And then there are concept bands, where all albums tell a contiguous story, such as Magma, Coheed & Cambria and - to a lesser degree - Ayreon.)

As long as progressive rock musicians will conceive works of music in which a length of 40, 60 or more minutes constitutes a single work they will find ways of disseminating it in some sort of package, whatever the actual sound carrier will look like.

Edited by WeepingElf - January 31 2015 at 13:40
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:35
Here is another way to look at the issue, or problem if you will:  In this era of niche marketing, there is a market for the album format and that, my friends, includes us as proggers.  As long as such markets exist, there will be purveyors seeking to fill those niches.  They may not become millionaires doing so, but you never know.  The fact that there are a lot of new prog releases show that somebody is more interested in well-developed music than the usual 3 1/2 - 5 minute pap that passes for popular music, and more and more of those are going independent. 
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 16:59
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Here is another way to look at the issue, or problem if you will:  In this era of niche marketing, there is a market for the album format and that, my friends, includes us as proggers.  As long as such markets exist, there will be purveyors seeking to fill those niches.  They may not become millionaires doing so, but you never know.  The fact that there are a lot of new prog releases show that somebody is more interested in well-developed music than the usual 3 1/2 - 5 minute pap that passes for popular music, and more and more of those are going independent. 
But will the software and hardware developers support the niche? They have no reason to, that I'm aware of.

Edited by HackettFan - January 31 2015 at 17:02
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 23:42
^ The developers will, and have, developed systems etc. which will be flexible to support certain media.  It is up to other people to decide what will be transmitted in that media.  It is the same technology that allows us to buy and stream Kanye West as well as Transatlantic.  The money to be made here is not in the music but rather in musicians using the technology to sell their music.  The medium is not the message but we need a medium in which to transmit the message, in this case, music.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 01:15
Get off yer butts and make yer own prog! 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:40
Got to agree with cstack3 there. ;-)

This is a pretty confused thread. I'm afraid comparing the world of pop, ie commercial music and the world of prog - which takes a considerable amount more listener involvement to "get" - is not a very useful comparison.

As I was saying, in some ways, the album is dead - as you can download single tracks from anywhere. But that more pertains to pop music. Prog is all about storytelling, writing more complicated and involved music and an album, in prog, is (or should be) a device to hang everything together. I junked my last album as - although it was better than the previous one - it didn't hang together. I may write some new stuff and re-issue it.. in the future. Not now, too much on.

As someone who releases his own music without any real expectation of making any real money, I have to tell you, dear readers, that I frankly don't give a rats about writing for an audience. ;-) I write for myself, if you like it, buy it, if not, no problem. And that, I think, is how it should be. Technology now allows me to write longer and more symphonic pieces with a vast array of instruments, and it's great fun. 

However, one thing I've noticed, and this is by statistical analysis (boring) off the website is that even hardened prog rock fans don't listen to long tracks any more. Attention spans are dropping across the board as we all live in Instant Gratification Land - and this may kill off anyone who used to listen to longer tracks or more complicated music eventually.

But so what, and I shall continue in my dinosaur like blundering. Because I can. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:51
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

As long as progressive rock musicians will conceive works of music in which a length of 40, 60 or more minutes constitutes a single work they will find ways of disseminating it in some sort of package, whatever the actual sound carrier will look like.

Thanks for a good post, WeepingElf.

The way it works on Bandcamp is this: after a certain number of downloads, you are allowed to load progressively larger individual tracks. I think there's an internal 600mb limit per track for me at the moment. 

My longer tracks tend to top 800mb each when rendered, so I tend to render them in lossless AIFF format. So it's certainly possible to upload 40 minute tracks to Bandcamp. 60 mins really shouldn't be a barrier, either. 

In case anyone is saying, "Oh God, a 60 minute track, why ??? " - well, (a) because maybe I want to. With new technology, new things are possible and some musicians like to experiment (it's called "progression" as in "prog") - (b) perhaps I'll make a good job of it and (c) perhaps it doesn't matter what you think, as you have the option not to buy or listen to it. 

I love music innovation and hate the staid, formulaic and boring. Most pop music listeners are mere grazing animals who listen to product, not music. Chances of me appealing to them ? Zero. I'm not bothered. A lot of prog fans have open minds, what I do doesn't appeal to everyone but ......

.......I'd rather do what I want to do and have a handful of genuine listeners, paying or not, than be Beyonce and get paid for wiggling my oversized backside to some formulaic drivel lapped up by sheep. 

So there. ;-) Don't like it ? Don't buy it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:53
Just a second, now......

Another argument. Album is dead, old technology / concept.

And then loads of people here say "ain't vinyl great ? "Smile

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 04:49
^ Ain't vinyl great? Big smile
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:00
Sure it is Meltdowner, especially 'cause I love any ritualistic exercise that adds some more value to my music Wink

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:04
Totally off topic, but 

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/29/bone-music-soviet-bootleg-records-pressed-on-xrays

Soviet records released on....... old x rays. ;-)

If I ever do a vinyl release, I think I have an idea for the cover. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - February 01 2015 at 05:10

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:14
I hope not for a long time, because we would have a significant problem here in PA, which database is based on 'albums'.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:53
Popular music has always been dominated by the single song format, modern technology has not changed anything. For most artists the album was merely an anthology of single songs and then often only as a vehicle for re-selling the hit single once it dropped from the chart. As the idea of the album as a stand-a-lone product emerged in the late 60s the single was used as a radio-friendly promotion item, but still the single format dominated the public image of an artist. For example, Jethro Tull is remembered by many people only for the single Living In The Past, not for the album Stand Up that was released at the time. Similarly The Moody Blues are remembered for chart-topping singles such as Nights In White Satin and Question, not for Days of Future Past and A Question Of Balance those singles were taken from.

Into the 70s Album Oriented Rock became a genre in its own right, but still those AOR artists released singles from the album, if only for advertising purposes. Some Progressive Rock artists continued to espouse the single as a viable commodity and some chose not to follow that course. Pink Floyd continued to release singles in Italy and America but not in their home country, until The Wall and its chart-topping Christmas No1 single, sales of Another Brick In The Wall (part 2) - whether this served to increase the sales of The Wall is open to debate since it is hard to say whether the album would have charted any higher without it, however a top three chart position for a double-album back in 1979/80 suggests it probably helped.

Into the 80s Prog found renewed single chart success in the form of Marillion, who managed to get 12 singles into the UK top-40 charts throughout the decade while maintaining top 10 chart positions for the 6 studio albums those singles were taken from. The technology of the day undoubtedly contributed to that (CD singles, 12" singles and MTV).

Now modern technology (downloads) has permitted the music buying public to cherry-pick popular tracks from whole albums, but the majority of people who are prone to do this are the same people who would have only bought the single(s) and not the whole album anyway. The voracious appetite of the tru-music-fan and completist for every songs by their favourite artist regardless of quality or hit-appeal remains unchanged, and like it or not, Prog probably has more of those kinds of music-buyers than those who only download the popular stuff.

What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 08:43

Just a second, now......

Another argument. Album is dead, old technology / concept.

And then loads of people here say "ain't vinyl great ? "Smile

According to news reports I've read recently, vinyl sales are up for the first time in 18 to 22 years (depending on the news source), and up approximately 38% in 2014 (per Digital Music News).

As far as attention deficit disorder in relation to long prog compositions, I think that is relatively true, given the dreaded clutch of the Interwebz, the 24/7 news cycle, PS4/Xbox One games and iTunes downloads. More AD/HD brats are on Adderall and Ritalin than in any time in history. This does not bode well for prog artists who expect a speed-addled listener to slog through an hour-long composition.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 08:59
The thing that puzzles me over all these kinds of debates is why the whole music buying population gets tarred with the same sticky brush. We are not all the same, we do not all behave in the same way. There is a broad spectrum of music buyers who are buying vinyl, these range from Jazz and Classical aficionados to Hipsters and all ports in between - Prog fans are a small percentage of that. The same is true of those who download and those who stick to buying their albums on CD. Prog will never be a mainstream genre (not that it ever really was anyway), the people who would be put off by long compositions and album-length concepts have always been in the majority regardless of the mores of modern technology and lifestyle, they didn't buy Prog in the 70s and they wouldn't buy it now.

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>