3 [37.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two (and too) cool songs
    Posted: January 30 2015 at 10:39
These two early songs by each band stand out on their respective albums.  Listen to each before picking.  I think most have heard the BOC track, but I'm guessing most here have not heard this side of Styx, which is quite different than their later stuff.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 11:00
Love both, but "A Day" is one of my favorites by Styx and had that album back then, have that song in current prog mix compilation on my iPod.  Love how it has such a dreamy flowing groove, then in the middle some serious prog moments.  Some of their early stuff is overlooked I believe.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 11:55
Soft White Underbelly.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 09:13
I'm about where you're at Jim....played both songs yesterday and I love both.  But a slight edge to A Day for me, which may have been one of JC's finest moments...until he started writing about toilet seats.

Edited by Finnforest - January 31 2015 at 09:13

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 09:33
Listened to BOC first (it was on top) and moved on to Styx. For the first four minutes of A Day it was pretty much a tie.
But as soon as the guitar break came in with synchronized solos that was it for me.
Styx got my vote.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 09:39
The Styx song is very nice, but there are very few songs that are as good as "Last Days of May" - especially in its many live versions. One of Buck Dharma's finest hours.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 09:53
oh yeah.  I'd put Last Days of May in the top 5 or 10 songs BOC ever did. Easy vote there. Jim has is right with the Styx song.. a cool song.. however the BOC song is simply a great one.

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

The Styx song is very nice, but there are very few songs that are as good as "Last Days of May" - especially in its many live versions. One of Buck Dharma's finest hours.

which is one of the very few fine points of BOC I don't see eye to eye with you on.  Jim was wise, and smart to choose the studio version. It has a starkness, an atmosphere that was COMPLETELY LOST IMO in the live versions in which you lose such things in a live setting, especially as a huge stadium draw they became.

the other of course being Born to Be Wild.. god I have grown to hate that song.. no matter WHO plays it. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 10:49
Yeah I hear that....I don't dislike live music....but I have to say quite strongly that there are MANY instances where I'd rather hear the band's studio versions over live versions.  I like hearing the artists true original musical ideas about the piece before they get amped up by adrenalin and soloing in a live setting.....I like the clear sound and recording....and sans the annoyance of screaming and clapping. 

I know its great to attend a show in the flesh but I'm not convinced it transfers all that well to "live" recordings.  A very personal opinion I admit, but I'll grab studio albums from the shelf much more often than my live cds.  Mood, clarity, and "less is more" in terms of actualy "hearing" the beauty of the compositions nuances. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 11:13
Last Days by BOC. Awesome guitar from Buck Dharma.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 12:19
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Yeah I hear that....I don't dislike live music....but I have to say quite strongly that there are MANY instances where I'd rather hear the band's studio versions over live versions.  I like hearing the artists true original musical ideas about the piece before they get amped up by adrenalin and soloing in a live setting.....I like the clear sound and recording....and sans the annoyance of screaming and clapping. 

I know its great to attend a show in the flesh but I'm not convinced it transfers all that well to "live" recordings.  A very personal opinion I admit, but I'll grab studio albums from the shelf much more often than my live cds.  Mood, clarity, and "less is more" in terms of actualy "hearing" the beauty of the compositions nuances. 

well said Jim! Clap  Here.. have a forum thanks... everyone else is getting them LOL.. why not you as well Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply