Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Wetton and his controversial career

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Wetton and his controversial career
    Posted: January 30 2015 at 16:18
A musician we don't talk much about, with a possibly controversial career for Prog fans, from his stellar performances with King Crimson to the blandest AOR of Asia's worst periods, then recently reviving U.K. with Eddy Jobson again showing great Prog skills. Gifted with a great voice, competent bass player, good composer, able to compose and play Prog like few others but for a long period in his career he chose to try a more commercial path.

What do you think of Wetton?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 16:27
^I don't know how to respond to this kind of question, Garard. Wetton has had bouts with his own personal demons that I don't want to rehash here. If he felt the need to make some bucks with Asia, fine. He was never a commercial success with either KC or UK. It may be hard to believe, but KC was cult band at the time of his tenure. KC never had the record sales of Yes or Genesis and maybe Wetton wanted some of that. And UK came into being during the punk craze. Enough said.

He's ok in my book. A fine musician and vocalist, regardless of what musical directions he has taken over the course of his career.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 16:39
I always cherished Wetton, he has remained a consistently excellent player with many bands (let's not forget Roxy Music, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash etc.)

John's one of the best at playing bass full-blast and simultaneously singing lead vocals!  Geddy Lee is another one of those.  

I think he probably did OK over the years financially as a result of his stint in Asia.  It may seem a bit ridiculous to think of this, but Asia's first LP was all over FM radio in the USA when it first came out. 

I've had the pleasure to see John with LTIA era KC, UK with Holdsworth and the first Asia tour....whenever I've seen him stalk the rock & roll stage, I feel like I'm seeing an old friend perform!  Thumbs Up
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 17:15
No great mystery or controversy here. The only original proggers who didn't try their hand at mainstream rock/pop were those who died before we reached the 80's. From an interview with Classic Rock Revisited

Ryan: You've talked openly about it in the past that you were going through some personal issues at that time (when Asia broke big)

John: Yeah I'm a dyed- in- the- wool alcoholic, but I don't drink these days. All I can tell you is that people would say "Oh it was the pressure", but no it wasn't, it was just the course of that particular illness. It's gets worse no matter what happens. If it's a lovely day, it gets worse, if it's a bad day, it gets worse. Yes I was in a shocking state. I'd like to say that I wasn't the only one, but the responsibility ultimately lay with me so I have to take that responsibility. If I had been the rest of the band I'd have gotten rid of me too.

He's my favourite Crimson singer and bassist plus I really like the first Asia album, but thereafter, nah...

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 30 2015 at 17:30
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 18:00
I love John Wetton to bits. He did some great solo gigs around 11 or 12 years ago with performances of stuff from all his old bands, which were captured on two great DVDs. Superb live band he had too - John Mitchell, Martin Orford and Steve Christey. This particular vid is from a compilation DVD, but was originally filmed at a warm-up gig for his 2003 tour which was staged at The Underworld in Camden, London - & released as John Wetton Live In The Underworld. The other DVD was recorded in Poland during the tour proper the same year, & was called Amorata.

A fine musician and singer indeed, who has given us so much to treasure over the years. Approve
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 18:12
Fantastic bass player. You can learn a lot from him. And he had a soulful voice with perfect delivery if he put some extra effort into it in studio.

Call me prejudiced, but I've heard some bad things about 80s AOR, so I stay away from it.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - January 30 2015 at 18:13
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 18:51
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool binge drinker, so I don't hold alcoholism against him. He's one of my favourite bassists, plays like an absolute gun, and he's got a great voice. I'm not against those taking a commercial turn in their career, and ask anyone if they've heard of Phil Collins - of course they have, ask about John Wetton and you get a " who's he ? "........
The earliest example of Wetton I have on record is his contribution to Gordon Haskell's It Is And It Isn't from 1971 - Wetton drives his songs with such intricate and melodic lines Gordon never could (even though he was fine on KC's Lizard album).

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 30 2015 at 18:52
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 21:57
Great bass player and singer......here he is in 1971 with Mogul Thrash

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 22:03
I love the music he did with KC, but I always thought the weak link in that line-up was Wetton's vocals (not his bass, which is awsome). However, somehow his vocals never bothered me with Asia (there it was mostly the music, which isn't so great, except for a few good songs)... still, somehow when I have heard Asia's live albums, once again I rather dislike his vocals. However, once again, I've heard some songs originally from Greg Lake (whom I consider a much stronger vocalist) sung by Wetton (both with Asia and with Steve Hackett), and I really liked how those ones came out (also, I liked very much how he sang some Genesis songs with Hackett). Then, I got some UK, and there I feel he totally ruined the music for me (unlike with KC, with whom I didn't really like his vocals, but the music was still great).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 22:03
..and with Family in 1971...

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 22:12
and with Roxy in 76..? before UK....Wetton and Jobson get fired up  at the end of the song.

Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

He's ok in my book. A fine musician and vocalist, regardless of what musical directions he has taken over the course of his career.

That about sums it up for me too. Not a big Asia fan but he's a great singer and bass player.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:29
I don't see what's controversial about his career. Being a part of Asia ain't controversial. Or I wouldn't call it that.
The whole Asia reunion thing was lame and I could not understand how all of a sudden, Downes gave up on Payne after their long collaboration. it felt like a cash grab. All their albums since reunion are just inferior to the Payne era albums, not to mention their 80s stuff.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:44
I'm not the world's biggest fan of Asia, though I still can't fathom what all the dissing on Asia is about.....??
They never set out to be a 'Prog' supergroup, just a bunch of veteran musicians trying their hand at writing catchy, accessible songs.
Yes, and the Asia debut is very good indeed. Then, each album I've heard thereafter has a few memorable tracks......
Wetton's abilities as a bassist far surpass what he's committed to tape methinks. Lark's Tongues bass-work is top-shelf.

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 31 2015 at 04:45
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 05:37
Hi ,my name is Richard and I like Asia ( even XXX).

Wetton is a great bass player (not merely competent) and has one of the best voices in prog. He is also well suited to the AOR scene but then he could basically do anything he wanted and that is his business. There is nothing controversial about making a choice which he did. Good bloke and wish him well.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 05:49
^ Couldn't agree more, Rich. That opening cut off XXX is a killer.
I'm glad Wetton pulled himself together in recent years, God knows, we don't need to read another obituary.......
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 06:53
I never took much notice of his bass playing (if any), but he's my favorite singer together with Greg Lake, and I like his song writing.
I like his music with King Crimson and UK a lot, plus I love the first Asia album and I really liked Battle Lines and some stuff on Arkangel, even though it sounds more commercial and not as prog.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 07:07
Crimso's Red was nearly the first album I totally absorbed as a newfound prog fan around the time it came out, and Wetton's voice was the selling point. Nutty me, but I mistook it for Lake's when a buddy of mine first spun the record for me in the back of his garage, or "hole" as he termed it. I was corrected soon enough, given the history of the band, and cast into the rest of my life with this overriding love for all things Crimson. I have Wetton to thank for that as he served as my entry point, and I have found joy in snippets of things he's done before or after his KC period. Good health to you, John!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 07:40
It would be so nice if some people stopped thinking that choosing to play more commercial music is tantamount to high treasonWink. While I have never been a fan of Asia, I do enjoy some good AOR songs - definitely much more so than a lot of bad, formulaic prog - and gave Wetton's 2011 album Raised in Captivity a very positive rating and review when I was writing for DPRP. As others have stated here, there's absolutely nothing "controversial" about his career. Even if he wanted to make more money, he did so by playing music many people enjoy - not by selling drugs, weapons or human beings.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 07:50
Both Richard and Raff's posts should be held up as a model of common sense and decency on the intertit. Agree with every word
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>