Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (126)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [30.00%]
1 [10.00%]
5 [50.00%]
1 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (126)
    Posted: January 30 2015 at 16:39
Dr Tree : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4FevpR2NA

The Flying Lizards : Fourth Wall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9OaLIKG_5o

Guruh Gipsy : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPAXLQNDS1M

Spectrum : Milesago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXnMUgimSQ
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 16:41

Hi folks! This time we are in Indonesia with one of the greatest asian progressive rock masterpiece..here is a review i found:
"Guruh Gipsy ,Maybe many progressive rock freaks still are searching the amazing indonesian prog band. They released only one album named "Guruh Gipsy" on 1977 and many of the member still makes the music activity in Indonesia
This band was organized with the above members and the some additional members such as female back vocal and Gamlan player. Their casset tape was sold with the booklet(about 30pages).The purpose was the introduction of the Balinese music . The idea was origined by Guruh Soekarno. Their sound was mixture between the traditinal Balinese music and the progressive rock featuring some keyboards. Especially, "Indonesian Mahamaddeka",the first song of the Album ,is very amazing .the first part is the typical progressive rock sound like Elp. The second part is the very orginal sound which mixed progressive rock by mini moog with the Balinese music by Gamlan . After that ,the last part is also magnificent sound like the Italian prog. I must say again this album is master piece of asian progressive rock." Keep Listening!! Prognotfrog.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=13848
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 19:53
Only one I know is Flying Lizards but I voted for Guruh Gipsy. Great stuff.Thumbs Up
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 03:31
I agree, my friend. Terrific, but almost impossible to find. Cry Hope for a reissue of that masterpiece someday. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:43
I went with Dr. Tree Pierre, some really good Fusion on this one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 16:22
Thanks John. I really appreciate this one. Reminds me of Nucleus. And for once easy to find Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 01:20
THE FLYING LIZARDS: "Fourth Wall" (Virgin) 
    The Elgin Marbles are ancient sculptures taken (or should I say stolen) from Athens to London in 1806 by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin. They consist of the Parthenon frieze and part of the Erechtheum and are now in the British Museum. 
    Artistic plundering of this kind is one of the strong features of the second Flying Lizards LP, "Fourth Wall", which is a strange museum with a lot else in it besides. 
    The name The Flying Lizards, of course, is a front for the recorded work of David Cunningham and the musicians he chooses to work with. On "Fourth Wall" this includes the magical voice of Patti Paladin, formerly a member of Snatch, who sings like a chipmunk from New Jersey and gives the album its human dimension. 
    "Lovers and Other Strangers", the album's latest single, places Patti's pouting, cute but sensuous voice over a Disneyesque melody full of whistles, dogs barking, doors slamming, a few bars of Yankee Doodle, and a siren. It produces a bright bizarre feeling like the day-glo Aztec figure on the cover and is irresistably catchy. 
    Their version of Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" transposes the soul classic from the Street to the cocktail bar. Mayfield's passionate advice is urbanely reduced to a few frivolous gestures from someone in furs intoning "Bite ya lip / N' take uh trip" to synthetic steel drums. 
    An important development from the first Flying Lizards LP is that Cunningham has become interested in the layering of taped extracts of speech and ethnic music over rock backing as Can, Holger Czukay and Byrne-Eno have done before, with success. 
    On "Fourth Wall" these taped extracts are abrupt, coy sprinklings of strange sound, that are used more as colouring than as essential parts of the compositions. As any art student will tell you, a collage is objects taken from various contexts and arranged to create a new one. These objets trouves do not quite do that, instead are heterogeneous objects violently yanked together: definitely chic, and a pleasure, but I question the morality of sheer plundering. 
    Other tracks, like "Cirrus", "An Age" and "New Voice", are reflective electronic pieces like compacted yawnathons. There are two brief appearances by Robert Fripp. 
    The title, "Fourth Wall", is a mystery to me. I submit as a subtitle, "The Girl In the Strange Museum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHPXmD6kpM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY0au_ZGNvw

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 01:29
They all sound great Pierre, Flying Lizards was really cool, buut I really can't vote against Guruh Gypsy. Although not the whole album speaks to me on the same level, there are a lot of great moments to be found.

This is my favourite song and I'm proud to say I even played it on the radio once Big smile

Man I love the keys on this one

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:45
Sag, the Gamelan has always fascinated me. When I was young, my parents brought me a  record from their journey in Bali. Since then, I always tried to find this sound in every music. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:30

Dr. Tree ‎– Dr. Tree

Label:
EMI ‎– 5180072
Format:
CD, Album 
Released:
Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

1The Twilight Zone
2Vulcan Worlds
3Transition
4Eugino D
5Affirmation
6One For DIanne

DR. TREE – Dr. Tree. SouthSide 4275. European release. NEW CD. Originally issued in 1976. This edition issued in 2008, comes in a digi-pak. MEMBERS:  Frank Gibson Jr., Kim Paterson, Martin Winch, John Banks, Bob Jackson, and Murray McNabb with Colin Hemmingsen and Alan Galbraith. TRACKS:  The Twilight Zone, Vulcan Words, Transition, Eugino D, Affirmation and One For Diane. DESCRIPTION:  The only album released by New Zealand progressive jazz rock fusion outfit, Dr Tree. The entire record is an impressive listen, without many weak points. Despite being jazz album of the year in New Zealand (1976), this hardly ever turns up. The song Eugino D, also available as a 7" single, appeared on the, New Zealandreleased, Creative Vibes compilation Respect Overdue - Volume 2. Musically liking to Ian Carr’s Nucleus and Brand X.    

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 11:48
What amazes me about the '4 little gems' threads is that Pierre manages to come up with albums I have never heard of time after time.....and I thought I knew my prog fairly well. Just goes to show you how much interesting music is out there waiting to be discovered.

After listening to the ones listed above I went with Dr Tree...more my cup of tea but the others do have something to offer though I didn't really get what The Lizards were all about; too avant garde for me I guess.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:03
Thanks doc. Hug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 15:31

Review by GruvanDahlman 
PROG REVIEWER
4 stars Australian prog is not overly reviewed on PA. At least that is my conception. It may be wrong but I might be right. It seems, however, that Spectrum is not one of the most listened to bands on this site. Apart from a very precious few ratings and even fewer written reviews there seems to be little attention given to these proggers from Oz.

I bought myself this album as a christmas present back in 2009. The deluxe Aztec edition, I might add. Now, I am not reviewing that edition, though I strongly advise you to get a hold of it if you can. This review regards the original album as it appeared upon release in 1971.

The first thing to say about this album is that it is very raw and dirty, as far as the production is concerned. It is very heavy in parts, in no small part due to the excellent organ and guitar, of which both are very distorted. This fact makes me really enjoy the album. The rawness, alongside the quite impressive musical vision, gives the album an edge. I could compare it to a more progressive Deep Purple, circa 1970 - 1971. Overall, the musical ability is great. The vocals are heartfelt and gritty and the instrumentation is very well performed.

The songs ranges from rock'n'roll (But that's alright) to ballads (Love's my bag), hard rock (What the world needs now) to soaring progressive rock (Milesago) and all epic prog (The sideways saga). It is a great and somewhat eclectic collection of songs, which despite seeming sort of schizoid at first really merges together nicely.

My favorite track on the album has to be "What the world needs now". The track is driven by this unbelievable organ, distorted and played with such emotion. It starts off with this noise, made by the organ, resembling the noise made by the great Jon Lord on "Lazy" (from Made in Japan). It takes off and becomes this really outstanding song. If you are into organ, this is really a track to check out, as is the entire album.

As with any prog from any country, australian prog has it's own flavor and so has Spectrum. It is like a twisted form of british prog and I cannot point my finger at what it is. I do think, however, that in Spectrum's case it is a question of great musical vision, coupled with a psychedelic-progressive will, all mixed with a dose of "to hell with it all" and a sense of humour. It stands on it's own, majestically so. All in all, this album needs to be discovered by more people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T06d6yJBJ4o

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 00:34
I voted for Guruh, but I like them all very much. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 07:21
Another vote for Guruh Gipsy, it's a great musical journey Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 08:05
Thumbs Up Thanks Samuel.