Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMind Mountain (UK) for Psych / Space

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mind Mountain (UK) for Psych / Space
    Posted: January 30 2015 at 19:25

Mind Mountain is a progressive psychedelia / space rock trio from Liverpool, England.
Members are: Joe Hirons - Guitar / Keys, Marc Glaysher - Bass Guitar, and David Smyth - Drums

Recorded 8th - 11th June 2013 by James Atkinson at Mutiny Studio's Bradford, England.
released 26 August 2013

"Mind Mountain are a three piece who formed in 2011 and have quickly established themselves on the local, and increasingly national, scene by gaining a reputation for hammering out improvised and musically accomplished live sets which marry the best of the prog and psych traditions. Yet, along with many of their contemporaries in this rapidly emerging scene, Mind Mountain do not sound like throwbacks or a prog/psych tribute band. So while they take in the likes of Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, they have very much developed their own sound which I find both gripping and mesmerising.
To date the band have recorded a eponymously named debut consisting of three tracks, all of which are long and heavy chunks of guitar-led psych rock whose riffage at times would not sound out of place at Donnington, something that is also particularly evident in the session they recorded for Liverpool magazine Bido Lito. It shows a band at the height of their powers and begs the question why many more established acts cannot play with the same freedom, presence and intensity." Simon Delic http://www.backseatmafia.com/2013/09/11/bands-for-the-liverpool-psychfest-8-mind-mountain/

Edited by Svetonio - January 31 2015 at 05:24
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2015 at 22:46
Hmm...This is some heavy driving hard psych/rock, but it tends to drag on a bit and sound rather 'samey' after a while, and I'm not so sure that I'd personally call it prog to be honest (but Psych/Space isn't one of my stronger subs tbf). Has a distinct Black Sabbath sound to me (ok, they're in Prog Related so it's accepted that there is some prog content in their music), and perhaps a bit of Hawkwind too, but I'm not really sure that it's enough to get them in. The music only really started to grab me at the end of the third track 'Dune' when the heavy organ sound kicks in. Plus at the moment they only have this one three track, twenty eight and a half minutes or so EP out (ok - that's not a problem if the music is undisputably fine prog...and they are working on more material right now)...but the biggest obstacle of all to them getting onto the site as far as I can see is that the EP isn't actually for sale OR download...It can only be streamed via bandcamp, and I checked through all their old facebook posts since the initial release in August 2013 to see if there was any mention of the option to purchase or download it in the past, and found nothing to suggest that there ever has been. If this is so, then it doesn't fulfil the basic criteria for eligibility (see Andy's sticky at the top of page one of the New Suggestions forum), and I don't think the band can be evaluated at the moment I'm afraid.  Ermm
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 00:13
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Hmm...(...)...It can only be streamed via bandcamp, and I checked through all their old facebook posts since the initial release in August 2013 to see if there was any mention of the option to purchase or download it in the past, and found nothing to suggest that there ever has been. If this is so, then it doesn't fulfil the basic criteria for eligibility (see Andy's sticky at the top of page one of the New Suggestions forum), and I don't think the band can be evaluated at the moment I'm afraid.  Ermm

Actually, they are signed on Liverpool's label God Unknow Records and Mount Mountain's debut album is "in pipeline" as they said. So maybe it's better to evaluate them now, just before full-stream maybe dissapears from their Bandcamp page; you know that some record labels doesn't like that their bands continued with free stream after an official release.

Edited by Svetonio - January 31 2015 at 00:19
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 00:33
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Hmm...This is some heavy driving hard psych/rock, but it tends to drag on a bit and sound rather 'samey' after a while, and I'm not so sure that I'd personally call it prog to be honest (but Psych/Space isn't one of my stronger subs tbf). Has a distinct Black Sabbath sound to me (ok, they're in Prog Related so it's accepted that there is some prog content in their music), and perhaps a bit of Hawkwind too, but I'm not really sure that it's enough to get them in. The music only really started to grab me at the end of the third track 'Dune' when the heavy organ sound kicks in. (...)  Ermm

"...There’s a good atmosphere and plenty of bodies around tonight as we sup a lovely IPA and loiter outside on a humid evening that bubbles with mysterious vapours. This is perfect preparation for Mind Mountain who take to the stage with unfamiliar new haircuts.
However, this doesn’t distract from an especially racy set seaming with hard stoner grooves and fastidious fret-work. At top speed, Mind Mountain are quite sublime, negotiating heights akin to King Crimson, interspersed with epic, prog posturing. The band deliver new material that pleases an enthusiastic venue, possibly recording the loudest and most boisterous reception ever heard at Mello Mello. We do hope these Liverpool lads have a busy summer and look forward to any forthcoming material that could potentially fire them into stoner rock folklore." http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2014/06/black_bombain_mind_mountain_he/
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 00:54
^ and ^^ Yeah - with a couple of IPAs down me I could probably groove to it too...but not sitting at home in my armchair stone cold sober!! (never mind stoner rock!) LOL We all hear things differently, I suppose. The team will decide what to do with this one I guess. We can still get samples to them if the album disappears off bandcamp after it goes on sale.  Smile
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 06:24
^noted, I'm with yam yam though
don't have a good feeling about this when it comes to prog terms ...

Post Reply Post Reply