Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedObscured By Clouds : Pink Floyd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 03:29
My least listened to Floyd album (3 stars for me). It has its moments......
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:43
Some nice tracks on it, my favourite being Burning Bridges. It's about a three star for me too. 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:57
It's one of the few PF albums still missing in my collection (I mean this one and The Final Cut, I don't intend to buy anything post-Waters).
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:14
^And what's wrong with the Gilmour albums?

I find them to be great. 
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 12:46
I really like the post-Waters albums. I think they have something special about them.

As for Obscured by Clouds - I just put it on! Love this album, love the atmosphere. I haven't listened to it in a while but then I haven't listened to a lot of PF for a while. It was my favorite non-classic era PF album when I was a teenager and just getting into them and progressive music. I like the way it's just starting to feel the classic-era aggression but still maintains the dreaminess of previous albums.

As a point of reference - More is my least favorite of their albums, alongside The Final Cut.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:06
^I don't hear to many people beat up on More so that was refreshing. Viva la difference!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:12
Aside from Cymbaline and The Nile Song I always found it really... boring!

That being said it's been years since I listened. Maybe my tastes have changed with time. Obscured By Clouds sounds as good as I remember it though! Thumbs Up
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:17
my other least favorite album of theirs, but only in second place (originally first though). Wot's... Uh the Deal? is good but the first two tracks i now feel like are even more so. i may need to revisit the whole thing again.
Progrockdude
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:52
Obscured gets 8.5/10
Dark side gets 6/10

Clearly a strong album as you can see

Edited by dr prog - February 01 2015 at 13:53
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:18
The perfect bridge album to DSOTM. It helped that album become what it did.The bands more melodic epic stuff was just around the corner but songs like " Childhood's End" The titled track....chilling! "Stay" and " Wots Uh The Deal" mainly involved in the musical evolution to DSOTM or should I say revolution?

Love all of it.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:27
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Some nice tracks on it, my favourite being Burning Bridges. It's about a three star for me too. 

^this
Worth listening to....now and then.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:26
A bit of a resting point between Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon, which I should value 4 stars. I have listened to it a few times lately.
Best tracks: Obscured by Clouds, Stay and Absolutely Curtains.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:30
I do not, nor have I ever, made some formative link between Meddle and Dark Side with this Clouds album.
I do listen to the entire album, mainly the instrumental stuff works for me, but it all seems rather forgettable.......
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 06:31
Great record !
Its the "easy laid back" album, but it is perfect in the right situation.

Regarding connections, i have allways seen some connection between Obscured and Wright's "Wet Dream" from 1978.

Edited by tamijo - February 03 2015 at 06:40
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 08:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Obscured By Clouds is a Floyd soundtrack album from 1972. Throw it on the turntable or throw it in the trash?

Awwwww, c'mon ... we can at least play some friebee, and hope we don't endup with cuts on our hands!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 11:07
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Best tracks: Obscured by Clouds, Stay and Absolutely Curtains.
I forgot to mention best tracks for me: "Burning Bridges", "Wot's ... Uh The Deal", "Mudmen", and "Absolutely Curtains". The rest I also really like, just not as much. A very consistent album. ... That's right, I said it.
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Regarding connections, I have always seen some connection between Obscured and Wright's "Wet Dream" from 1978.
Namely ... ? You can be vague, doesn't matter.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - February 03 2015 at 11:10
infernalfrog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 12:14
Just filler album released between two masterpieces, but it has it's moments, like the opening track and "the gold it's in the..."
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 12:14
Obscured By Clouds recalls a strange experience for me. The way I went about listening to it was ..I suppose, strange to me , but yet not generally strange and still probably common for most proggers in 1978. I was on the road in 78' with a band that would travel up and down the East coast of the U.S. , but also invade the geographic scope of certain states where your time spent in a specific state in order to do that..meant the band setting up camp, usually the countryside, comfortable old stone house ..a hundred years old..for about a period of 5 to 6 months while the band used the western section of the state as a springboard, getting maybe 1 day off to relax in the house. I shared a room with the drummer. I had insomnia and he didn't. Fortunately he was a heavy sleeper and playing Jethro Tull material seemed to knock the wind out of him by 3 Am. As he slept, I played 2 particular albums throughout the night: Tales Of Mystery & Imagination By Alan Parsons and Obscured By Clouds ...Pink Floyd. Arriving to the house every night after a gig and listening to Obscured By Clouds in front of a fireplace was a beautiful mindset.
"Free Four" was my favorite track and I personally related it to Syd Barrett's state of mind, although I have never confirmed if the piece was truly about him. "Childhood's End" has the most amazing intro. It's like an Electronic soundscape. It's a haunting/beautiful song that is timeless. Sometimes Roger Waters comes across as being hard on himself. He is either embarrassed by his previous works..or just displeased that his growth period with the early Floyd had to be his recorded history. All of his negative comments directed toward Atom Heart Mother are harsh, sarcastic, and insulting to the max. I wonder what he thinks of Obscured By Clouds?

The album has a perfectly fine flow ..all on it's own..and shouldn't constantly be pegged as one of the earnest cream of the crop products to be the premature developmental writing stages for Dark Side Of The Moon. Meddle and Obscured By Clouds were a leap into a different stage of writing. It was developing over a period of time on Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother, but didn't make that structure unite with the band until Meddle. This is all very true, but Obscured By Clouds can also stand alone as an album of strange haunting melodies and hypnotic style chord progressions that were not as dominating  on D.S.O.T.M., W.Y.W.H., Animals...because the usage of sustaining keyboard soundscapes didn't leave room for slow melodic chord strumming which was previously featured on Meddle. Observation here is based on how they changed their sound along with their structure. D.S.O.T.M. adapted a total synth sound ..amongst other newly discovered keyboard settings played by Rick Wright. Obscured By Clouds is rare and interesting for that reason.   
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 20:34
Obscured by Clouds is one of my five favourite albums by Pink Floyd; other albums are Atom Heart Mother, Meddle (as my top favourite album by Pink Floyd) Animals and Endless River.

Edited by Svetonio - February 04 2015 at 21:16
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:49
Yes, the more I think of this album, the more I think.........
Obscured-When You're In,-Burning Bridges-Mudmen-Childhood's End-Stay and at least, the first half of Absolutely Curtains.   Yeah -so what, at least a 3.5 rating for me.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>