Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSoft Machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 10:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Softs being quite impressive, regardless of the brand, and Paris and Cockayne being enjoyable MOR Fusion things, but honestly NOT deserving the Soft Machine name.
I do believe they should've changed their name after '7'................

I think they changed the name to prevent Robert from getting any more commissions off any new work. His book is in the mail and I'm not sure this is exact, but it would make a lot of sense.

I stopped following/listening when Robert was no longer there. Not sure why, but the later version, to my ears is less focused and interesting than what was there before -- but that is my taste, in that the early stuff was gutsier and more experimental than what came later ... which was still nice ... but I was already into the ECM stuff and the Softs did not measure up for me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:09
I love the first two, but I struggle with this band from there. I guess I'm a Wyatt fan. :)

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 03:56
I might one of these days attempt to read the novel they're named after. How many references to Wm. Burroughs' literary oeuvre are there in their lyrics? I heard the band also has quite a few songs inspired by Thomas Pynchon.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 05:36
I love the Softs! Hug

My favourite albums from those I know (from Third up to Seven) are Third and Six. Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 07:11
For some reason, SM Six has never done much for me. It comes across as too 'stiff' and serious, not that the others weren't 'serious' as such, but to me, Six just sounds cold. My least listened to SM album.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 11:03
The first couple of minutes from Six's "Stanley Stamps Gibbon Album" remind me of "Esther's Nose Job" from Volume Two.
Only played on a piano instead of organ and fuzz bass. (Although Mike's fuzz organ comes in before it gets going)
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 10:01
Great band. Third is one of my favorite albums. I haven't heard too much of their later stuff.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 00:01
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

The first couple of minutes from Six's "Stanley Stamps Gibbon Album" remind me of "Esther's Nose Job" from Volume Two.
Only played on a piano instead of organ and fuzz bass. (Although Mike's fuzz organ comes in before it gets going)
Right you are - Stanley Gibbons stamp catalogue is a manic Fuzz-Organ fest, and also Chloe And The Pirates is beautiful. Maybe even Hopper's darkly avant 1983. But the live portion is performed in a somewhat too generic jazz-rock mode without much passion and personality. It does have some sparkle here and there, but, for me, this is on-par with the final Cockayne album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 01:34
I'd give Volume Two, Third, Fourth, and Six all five stars on my personal scale. 

Various live albums would also be included...such as The first BBC collection and Virtually. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 02:40
The Fifth album is BRILLIANT...........
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 04:32
"Drop" and "As If" have massive nostalgia for me as they were included in the Elite compilation "As If" with the photograph of their first line up.
There used to be some great CD compilation of their post Wyatt years. 
A pity "Triple Echo" never got remastered.
lady_rachel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 12:56
Hi 
I don't know if its appropriate posting here, but I need help
I might sound stupid but It's been years that I'm obsessed with Soft Machine and the whole Canterbury scene and  I'm about to make a trip to Europe. Since the city is only one-two hours from London, I have this idea of actually visiting Caterbury. I know obviously that is a loose term and doesnt reffer specifically only to the bands from Kent but It still strange cause doesn't seem to exist any kind of structure dedicated to what happened, musically, there.
I can't even locate the prog fans community there. I don't know if its me not looking effectively or people in Canterbury that simply just don't care Ermm
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 15:00
Hilariously, lady_rachel (Great user name BTW) I've never been to Canterbury myself despite my love for the music from the scene!
Maybe the Canterbury Council think such a "druggy","weird" museum about The Soft Machine at least, would attract "Unwanted drunkards etc" and divert attention from it's Cathedrals it had previously made so much fuss over.
I would love a Canterbury scene museum. There really should be pitched on "Dragon's Den". 
I've got an idea for another thread...
"Dedicated To You, But You Were Diverted By You Had Canterbury council Going 'Phwoar! Look At The Size Of Our Cathedrals!'"
I bet you they wouldn't even let a CD of "Third" be played in Canterbury Cathedral on a massive public address system, PA!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 15:13
Originally posted by lady_rachel lady_rachel wrote:

Hi 
I don't know if its appropriate posting here, but I need help
I might sound stupid but It's been years that I'm obsessed with Soft Machine and the whole Canterbury scene and  I'm about to make a trip to Europe. Since the city is only one-two hours from London, I have this idea of actually visiting Caterbury. I know obviously that is a loose term and doesnt reffer specifically only to the bands from Kent but It still strange cause doesn't seem to exist any kind of structure dedicated to what happened, musically, there.
I can't even locate the prog fans community there. I don't know if its me not looking effectively or people in Canterbury that simply just don't care Ermm
Years ago, when National Health's stuff was first released on CD (1990 or so), my friend and I wrote a fan letter to Dave Stewart, inspired by the note in the booklet giving a mailing address and the assurance that "we answer all letters".  Sure enough, I got a nice two-page handwritten letter (in wonderful penmanship too, I might add), and in response to my fanciful comment that I might like to visit Canterbury sometime, he actually gave me Richard Sinclair's contact information.  I never ended up using that information, and it's questionable whether the info is still correct 25 years later, but my point is, Dave S may be someone you could feel comfortable locating and asking for leads/contacts/advice/whatever.  I was very impressed by the friendliness of his reply.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 15:23
Concerning Richard Sinclair, he lives in Southern Italy now, though I am sure he visits his hometown every now and then. After all, it is much easier to travel around Europe than it is here in the US. Anyway, the forthcoming documentary film Romantic Warriors III - Canterbury Tales should satisfy the curiosity of most fans of the scene. Micky and I had the privilege to attend a rough screening of it at the very end of 2014, and we can say that the film promises to be truly impressive.

Unfortunately, I think that nowadays very few people (if any) in Canterbury are aware of what was going on musically in the late Sixties-early Seventies. The band Syd Arthur seem to be the only connection with the original scene - though more because of their geographical provenience than of their music.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 11:22

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I might one of these days attempt to read the novel they're named after. How many references to Wm. Burroughs' literary oeuvre are there in their lyrics? I heard the band also has quite a few songs inspired by Thomas Pynchon.

I think the "mentions" are not as important as we think.  But there is a "parallel", as I like to call it, in that they way the written work went was a similar thing they were hoping to achieve in the music.

Today, this is a "lost art", because many of us think that "lyrics" are enough and the reality is not. By the time you check this stuff, and read a portion of Robert Wyatt's book (so far it is excellet -- I'm up to 75 pages already!!!!), you realize the inspiration, but we do not see that as "possible" because we think that music is music and literature and art and movies is sh*t, and does not relate to anything music. There is a "parallel", but it's connection is difficult to discuss, and sometimes a mention like this makes it look/sound silly, and in fact it is not ... the composition, in the early Soft machine days, and going back to Daevid Allen days, was very "beat poet" style and open and free form ... and this is not something that is always "composed" or made into a "song" ... nowadays, the stupid part, is that everything has to be a song ... and check out how many threads are about songs ... not the process! Just take a quick look at the name of Robert's book! You think that's not true? ... but many musicians will freak on that!

This is one of my favorite discussions, and something that I spend a lot of time discussing, but there is a side of it that is "invisible" for us to make a connection, but we need an open mind to work with it, and as is the case most often here ... very few of us are actually "experienced" ... enough, to discuss this. I spend a lot of time linking these up to film and theater, since these are both a "stage" ... and there are times when there are similar things in them ... altough if there is a group that is absolutely the worst at discussing these things and feign ignorance, it is those that do rock music, even when they are being stuck up on the girls and nothing else but as an excuse to do what they do!

I can guarantee you that Pynchon and Burroughs were not about that a whole lot, and in many ways i still see them as folks that made fun and trashed that egocentric thing senseless.

Edited by moshkito - February 27 2015 at 11:33
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 12:04
Hey, what can you say? I even like "The Softs."
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 19:10
The Peel Sessions came up in my random rotation today.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 18:16
I wish Phil Howard stuck around longer than just side 1 of Fifth. His loose and free-form style added a lot of magic to those tracks, especially Drop. This Aussie drummer ended up working on an oil-rig after putting his sticks down.........
He also played on Elton Dean's wonderful debut. Neo-Caliban Grides for sure.

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 28 2015 at 18:18
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2015 at 23:06
First 3 are my favorites......the later ones, while good albums,  went into a jazz fusion direction and lost all that early Canterbury  feel and whimsy.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>