Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFreak Out!: Frank Zappa &MOI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freak Out!: Frank Zappa &MOI
    Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:29
Is the Mothers of Invention's first album still revolutionary? Is it a real concept album or just taken as one based on hype? What did it politics have say? How important is it to prog music?
Well, have at it! 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:48
satirical albums are a poor man's concept album.. that said.. christ almighty .. .what a satirical album it was. Clap

I listen to Trouble Every Day.. today.. and wonder if somehow Frank saw ahead 50 odd years man. Still minty fresh today dude. Great album, but I don't by revolutionary at all.  It was different.. but you had to have real cache to be revoluntary.. ask the Beatles about that man.  If you aint reaching the masses you aint revolutionary.. just merely influential to the real bomb thrower and muckrakers.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 14:59
It was an important and influential album but Absolutely Free would be even more so, especially as far as progressive rock is concerned. "Trouble Every Day" is one of Frank's songs you play for someone who thinks he's all about dick jokes.
Magma America Great Make Again
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 16:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Is the Mothers of Invention's first album still revolutionary? Is it a real concept album or just taken as one based on hype? What did it politics have say? How important is it to prog music?
Well, have at it! 

I'm thinking that we really need something like it today, to hit the airwaves, to blow out all these silly discussions about metal. pop, dark, and any other description that is just ... silly!

And yeah ... it will have to be distasteful between Freak Out and Derek and Clive's Ad Nauseum, but i doubt that any of us fudgers here will give it a spin or listen ... we're too stuck up on our favorites to bother listening to anything else!

Hug
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 16:22
Great debut album.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 16:37
Haven't heard it in over a year now, but I remember it sounding very ahead of its time. Great experimentation and psychedelic-ity, and the first prog rock album to a certain degree. One of Zappa's best and most accessible, plus it made me chuckle a few times too LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply