Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore: Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: More: Pink Floyd
    Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:04
The only movie soundtrack album by Floyd that I really dig. What do you think about More?

Edited by SteveG - January 31 2015 at 18:26
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The only movie soundtrack album by Floyd that I really dig.

Same here unless you count Pompeii. Some of the stuff that was left off was just as good as what was left on:

Magma America Great Make Again
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:23
Absolutely gorgeous album, and just maybe my favourite Floyd album?

Probably their last full-blown psychedelic album, full of fragile shimmering little gems. Nice mix of heavy acid-rock and beautiful hazy ballads!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:25
More is alright, I love both Cybaline and Green Is the Colour. And of course you can't bring up More without bringing up The Nile Song. The most metal song to come from the band. More is a fantastic album when it comes to casual listening but may lack on the Pink Floyd-style complexity front.

However, I always loved OBC much more.

All of this recorded in a very short time. Simply fantastic. Clap

Edited by aglasshouse - January 31 2015 at 18:26
http://fryingpanmedia.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 18:25
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

The only movie soundtrack album by Floyd that I really dig.

Same here unless you count Pompeii. Some of the stuff that was left off was just as good as what was left on:

Awesome! Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 00:05
I really like it. There are many songs that are among their best from the early period. Mostly, Sirius Minor, The Nile Song, Green is the Colour, and Cymbalyne.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 01:49
I love it
I also saw the movie, songs are chopped and the songs order on the album is different than in the movie.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:48

Hi,

"More" is, actually, a very fine film, with the problem that it was not filmed with a Hollywood concept of the movies.

What that means is that you hear the music, and the folks in the story don't, but they are imagining it, magically ... so perceptive and psychic the movies are and we're not ... I never heard that much music on a kiss! Or in good sex ... well, there was different music, but that's another story!

Almost all of the music was on a cassette recorder that the girl carried around and played its music ... and that music was Pink Floyd. The "natural-ness" with which this is done is the valuable and beautiful part of this film ... it is very smooth, and it's just there, and you or I could/would do EXACTLY the same thing, and do so, when we go to the beach or what not ... (we use CD's these days or iPods - but you get the drift!) ... to enjoy something that we like.

The other side of the film is something that does not go well in America, because of the generic idea that dope is bad, and tripping is worse! And the religious somebody's are trying hard to ensure that you do not do it, or see it, or enjoy your young days in that manner, regardless ... you have to conform to an idea ... and that film, was NOTHING about conforming to anything!

The shooting, is very "stoney", and done with handheld cameras, that eventually, some 25 years later, became the pattern and the norm for many a film from China (Kar Wai) and other places, and it was never given the credit and appreciation that it deserved. Almost all the "trips" are from the girl's point of view and the camera seems to wonder, no different than how your head and mind would do in these circumstances. This point, is TOTALLY lost in many a discussion on this film, and this is one of the biggest criticisms about it ... most people are afraid of the drugs and "internal" films, and would rather sit "outside" and watch ... watching is a very Hollywood tradition similar to the peep show ... you are not involved, and that is safer for you ... !!!

I like the PERSONAL touches in this film. It is very special in that way, and it was just sad that Barbet Schroeder lost this touch later and gave in to the Hollywood style and conventions, and even in his next film, also with Pink Floyd music, the way the soundtrack was used, had absolutely nothing to do with the story and the film itself, except for a minute with a tribe sounds in it. The music in this film, unlike MORE, is incidental, and not a part of the film, and we're supposed to IMAGINE its use and feeling?

It also is, a very strong sign, of the "progressive" feeling and attitude in so many other arts, and you must see and aappreciate that. This is the same attitude that a lot of bands were taking on, and with, their music, changing the concepts, the ideas and the resolution into something different and experientially totally out of sorts with the stuff that is known ... in many ways, even "WOODSTOCK" is about that ... but we don't see that ... we just see it as a drunk and stoned generation with some music!

And we miss the point and what it was all about!

It's a great film.

The music, is beautifully used, although I have not studied in detail which song is used where, mostly because I never felt it necessary ... if I'm to take some mescaline, I sincerely doubt that it is important which piece of music you choose ... you already like them all or you would not be listening to them, anyway! As a whole, the album is disjointed without the film, but it makes better sense with the film at hand, than otherwise. You do not judge the choice of songs, when she takes a trip! This is what she is augmenting her experience with in HER trip ... and this is the part of the film that is super special as is the music.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 11:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I love it
I also saw the movie, songs are chopped and the songs order on the album is different than in the movie.

There is no choice in that matter ... you can not film and create continuity in the film if you shoot all of the songs in their entirety ... if you took one of them and extended her "trip" visually, you would likely get very bored.

That is the bad part and nature of film. You are used to snipets and not complete and total experiences, and while you and I might like to see the song in its entirety,  "visually" in the end, it would be like the girl staring at the sky for 5 full minutes, and you would not be able to sustain that in film, or theater, although in literature you can illuminate this quite a bit further, however, it creates many issues and problems for film/theater situations. Visual writing is normally difficult to screen, because it is PERSONAL and not something that all of us can enjoy and undertake.

Of all the rock films (with music), out there, there are not many that mixed the music in its entirety, and the only film ever done that made sense with it, was "Purple Rain", for example. No one else, has done another rock film that was complete and ... a "true story" ... all of them have done a Hollywood thing or satire, as is the case with Spinal Tap!

The film was also shot with a lot of "left over" film stock, which, in the end, gave it a very different look and there were too many of these, that tended to distort it some more than otherwise, but it made it a "personal" film, from the girl's point of view! (left over stock meant that they did not have the money to purchase new film and used whatever they could get their hands on to get it done -- which, as such, would tell you that some things are different because you do not know what quality the film is at when you plug it into the camera!).

Nowadays, with video and electronic stuff, the type and quality of film stock will never again be an issue, and "film" will have lost one of its most beautifully designed things that made it an art. Going forward, things will be so "real" or so "cartoon-ish" that your imagination and ability to take this further is lost. You already know that's not real! See Coppola's Apocalypse Now and the Dracula film, for someone that uses at least 10 different types of film, and mixes them really well! to the point that you have no idea!

Edited by moshkito - February 01 2015 at 12:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 12:47
^ I get what you're saying

I saw the movie 15 years after I first listened to More. It did not feel to me like a soundtrack, I wasn't missing anything when I was listening to it; weirdly, when I saw the movie, the music did little to me in the context of the movie, those snippets as you say (oh, so those addicts were listening to PF, it was '69, what were they supposed to listen to? LOL).

Edited by Cristi - February 01 2015 at 13:15
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 13:14
probably my least favorite/familiar of their albums. only The Nile Song and Cymbaline i kind of remember/liking at the time, i need to listen to it more, though.
Progrockdude
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:21
" apprehension creeping like a tube train up your spine..." My my Cymabline.

What an incredible album
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:05
A marvelous movie and a marvelous album.
The film works on many levels.  It is not only about "getting high" on Ibiza.  It is also about corruption, and how that "high" can become a "low" when the euphoria of psychedelics is replaced by the numbing of heroin.
There are lurking levels of Evil under the picture postcard image of a Spanish Island retreat.  The former Nazi officer that makes this 'escape paradise' home, for example.  There are subtext in this film.

It works for me.

The album is a personal favourite.  David Gilmour at one time tried to get it removed from the catalogue.  I have played it far more times on the radio than The Division Bell.  It does represent a time when Art was more fun than Commerce.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 12:30
Let's have ...More.  

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 02:52
I've been a huge Floyd fan for 30-odd years now and More has always been one of my favourites.  It has such depth, a mixture of Floyd old and just a hint of what they would become.  The spacey and threatening ambience of Quicksilver and the atmosphere of Main Theme always get me.  Cymbaline is one of their greatest songs ever.  The ultimate for me though is Cirrus Minor, surely Rick Wright's finest moment.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 02:59
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

Cymbaline is one of their greatest songs ever.  The ultimate for me though is Cirrus Minor, surely Rick Wright's finest moment.

I couldn't agree more.

help me understand something though - these two songs are written by Waters (or so i read on my cd booklet) but obviously Wright had a contribution as well, or how does it work? Same thing happens on later songs as well, credited to waters but there's some keyboard work and no Wright credited as at least co-writer?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:07
A very gentle approach in the music apart from "The Nile Song". "Main Theme" being one of my favorites. I like the flow of the album. I also like several tracks from Zabriskie's Point which I first heard on Dark Side Of The Moo , an LP I bought in the early 80's.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:20
More dangles at the bottom of my list of PF albums. Nevertheless it is a good album with tracks such as Cirrus Minor, Nile Song, Crying Song, Cymbaline and Main Theme.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 15:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

help me understand something though - these two songs are written by Waters (or so i read on my cd booklet) but obviously Wright had a contribution as well, or how does it work? Same thing happens on later songs as well

The writing credits on Floyd albums are misleading. Waters gets the lions share of the credits because he wrote the lyrics. Gilmour and Wright had more to do with how the songs turned out than they are ever given credit for.
Magma America Great Make Again
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 18:19

The only movie soundtrack album by Floyd that I really dig. What do you think about More?

my favorite of all Floyd's albums. Never would be silly to consider it best, but what it is ..is simply the album I point to say ..that is Pink Floyd. If ever there was a band MADE to do movie soundtracks.. it was that group.

Anyhow..  no where close to best.  But simply my favorite.

Love it to death. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply