Topic ClosedCollaborators' Top Albums of 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators' Top Albums of 2014
    Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:28
Welcome to the 10th annual ProgArchives Collaborator’s Album of the Year contest!

At the end of each year, we the collaborators of ProgArchives, including Admins, Special Collaborators, Collaborators, Prog Reviewers, and VIP Members, gather to discuss and exchange the best music of the year. Each collaborator is allowed to vote for his or her top ten albums, and I again had the honor to collate these votes.

Each year, the collaborators of ProgArchives are presented with a simply daunting task – to take a hard look at all the music that was listened to over the past year and select the absolute best out of the bunch. The year 2014 proved to be an especially daunting task, as a significant number of 70s favorites, 90s prog revival favorites, and new impressive faces released absolutely wondrous albums. The progressive rock scene is clearly alive and well, as so many bands released simply stunning albums. Whether it was a bands 2nd or 22nd album, there was quality across the board. This year, 74 voters selected 253 different albums as their favorites from the year.

Each year, I am simply shocked by the amount of quality music our collaborators are able to listen to, and 2014 proved no different! Many voters brought albums that sadly they were the only voter for, but it shows just how far our collaborators look for high quality progressive rock. This list, I feel, is an excellent source for anyone who wants to jump into the more obscure field of progressive rock. While of course every album could not have been evaluated by every voter, this provides an excellent snapshot of our site’s taste.

Now, without further ado,

The ProgArchives Collaborators’ Top Albums of 2014

1.  Opeth – Pale Communion

Mikael Åkerfledt, the lead man in Opeth, is without a doubt a member of modern progressive rock royalty. Opeth has been running for just about 20 years now, and he and his crew continually pump out stellar progressive music. With the band’s 2011 album, Heritage, the band moved away from their roots as a progressive death metal band and more towards a vintage heavy progressive rock band, and with Pale Communion there is no doubt the band has perfected that form. The album is diverse, mature, and just a joy to listen to. There’s no surprise Opeth has scored the top spot this year.

“The use of death vocals seems to be a thing of the past for Opeth. I always appreciated the clean vocals from Mikael Akerfeldt; it gives a better view of how he can be a good singer… Again the band is showing the soft side of their music…While this release could be perceive as homage to the old progressive rock bands…it keeps the band’s own style. …I am more confident that it's the right direction to go.” –rdtprog, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

·         504 ratings, 4.25 stars

·         Appears on 28% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 2

·         Official Website

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Eternal Rains Will Come”)

·         Spotify Stream

2.  IQ – The Road of Bones

The first of our classic prog favorites returning with a simply stellar release, IQ made their fame in the 1980s neo-prog revival. Accentuated by the fact that the band lay mostly dormant through the 90s and then began to produce more albums in the 2000s, IQ is known for taking their time to write and produce albums. When they do release an album, however, it rarely is anything less than amazing. 2014 is no different, as The Road of Bones is the band’s first release since their blockbuster 2009 studio release Frequency. The crew of IQ still knows how to kill it, as this double-disc masterpiece clearly shows.

“IQ, that venerable outfit of 1980's vintage, release this, their 11th studio offering, and, I will say straight away, [they] are sounding as strong, if not stronger, than ever. This sumptuously produced… and gorgeously performed work just about takes us through the entire range of emotions, with passages which are achingly beautiful, and a rock experience which takes us from the hard and crashing opening … to the quite gorgeous acoustic interplay on guitar, piano, and vocals at the denouement of closer… It is simply a magnificent experience to listen to.” –lazland, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Neo-Prog

·         635 ratings, 4.35 stars

·         Appears on 31% of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 7

·         YouTube Sample (“From The Outside In”)

·         Spotify Stream

3.  Seven Impale – City of the Sun

I admit, I had never heard of this small Norwegian prog band before I started collecting votes for this very list. Upon noticing the number of people voting for it, I had to check it out myself – and oh boy was I happy I did. This is the first full length album released by the band, and even from such a young band, the maturity of sound is absolutely stunning. The band has a sound unique to themselves, and they use it to its fullest capacity. This album is a ferocious showing of the power prog can have and it’s no surprise this young band stole the number 3 spot on this year’s poll.

“A breath of fresh air and total shock. There is still life on planet earth. And there is still great music made by mere mortals but which can awaken emotions. This is the case with this young sextet from Norway that confirms that the Scandinavian scene is constantly on the up and dominating the progressive music of the new century. What makes this album different from other very good ones is the combination of musical prowess and the apparent appetite to create something new, fresh, [and] dynamic…This is the best album of 2014.” – aapatsos, Special Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Eclectic Prog

·         109 ratings, 4.08 stars

·         Appears on 28%  of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 4

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Oh My Gravity”)

·         Spotify Stream

4.  Swans – To Be Kind

Swans may not be the band that everyone would expect to fit right in with bands like IQ or Pink Floyd, but they are without a doubt of the most exciting and impressive band to be release progressive rock music as of late. Following their absolutely stunning opus The Seer of 2012, Swans’ latest release proves that Michael Gira and co. are simply not content with producing the norm. The groundbreaking experimental album is a treat to those with a penchant for the genre and is highly deserving of being here on this list.

“Something spectacular has happened with Swans… Those 14 years of retirement seem to have unleashed an uncontrollable monster…  I can't think of another band who have continually bettered themselves in such a dramatic and important way after such a long periods of inactivity…Swans have had a career in reverse. All plaudits and recognition coming after 30 years of toil and hardship. The best has clearly been saved to last. Out of their entire discography this is the best Swans album I've heard.” –Dobermensch, Forum Newbie

·         Genre: Post/Math Rock

·         107 ratings, 3.81 stars

·         Appears on 18%  of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 7

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Screen Shot”)

·         Spotify Stream

5.  Logos – L’enigma Della Vita

Logos, an RPI band formed in the mid-1990s, weren't exactly anyone’s favorite back when they released their two albums in 1999 and 2001. The albums, Logos and Ásrava, are respected enough, but they are both currently sitting at around 3.5 stars here on PA. When they came out with their newest album 13 years after the release of their last, the band clearly took their time to produce the absolute best album they possibly could. L’enigma Della Vita encapsulates what is special about RPI and presents it with a modern lens. This album is an excellent welcome back for the band, and they rightfully deserve their place in the top 10.

“Logos' 'L'Enigma della Vita' is one for the ages, a scintillating example of modern RPI, caramelized with grandiose symphonic elements, a touch of space/psychedelia, massive hues of shadow and light, as well as all the characteristics that make RPI such a devout prog institution. Nearly 14 years in the making, the patience, the dedication and the savoir-faire are all there in vivid sound and art, with a picture perfect cover, sublime photography and general artwork… This is a massive opus, a thrilling classic and destined to place itself on the RPI mantel, alongside the other great role models from the land of the Azzuri. Italy rules again, proggers!” –tszirmay, Special Collaborator

·         Genre: Rock Progressivo Italiano

·         177 ratings, 4.20 stars

·         Appears on 16% of all lists

·         Soundcloud Sample (“In Pricipio”)

·         Spotify Stream

6.  Motorpsycho – Behind the Sun

Motorpsycho are perhaps the most consistently active band present here on the list – they’ve been steadily releasing studio albums since 1991 – and it seems with their past few releases, the band has truly been maturing into their sound. Their last two albums – 2012’s The Death Defying Unicorn and 2013’s Still Life Eggplant – scored 5th and 11th on this list in their years, respectively, showing just how well-respected they’ve become around here. 2014 brought yet another incredibly mature album, and Behind the Sun, this list’s second sunny offering, shows that they have mastered their sound in the most delightful way.

“This album is not what I was expecting in the slightest… For me, this album transcends genre tendencies, which is huge. This album is stylistically variable, but has a strong seventies, jam band feel… every once in a while, something is really good and grabs my attention…this is a fantastic album, amazing musicianship, varied styles and despite that, a coherent feel throughout the album. This is probably my favorite discovery of the year” –Roland113, Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Eclectic Prog

·         168 ratings, 3.98 stars

·         Appears on 19%  of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 3

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Cloudwalker”)

·         Spotify Stream

7.  Pink Floyd – The Endless River

When news leaked a new Pink Floyd album was dropping in 2014, I could have sworn the prog rock community was going to implode based on all the hype. While this was only part of the band as Waters is not present, it is still very much Pink Floyd and is a fitting spiritual successor to The Division Bell, the last Floyd album released 20 years prior. The album is a tribute to the demos left behind by deceased legendary keyboardist Richard Wright. While the album may not be the next Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here, a Floyd album half the quality of those legends is still an absolutely gorgeous and remarkable release, as The Endless River certainly is.

“The missing album. What a breath-taking Pink Floyd album! In fact, I've been waiting for that album all the time. It's true example of the missing link in Pink Floyd's creativity. The mighty Englishmen's electronic and instrumental reputation is highly renowned, but intended or not, they have not produced this kind of album so far… the time for [a] final goodbye has come.” –poslednijat_colobar, Prog Reviewer

Statistics:

·         Genre: Psychedelic/Space Rock

·         324 ratings, 3.57 stars

·         Appears on 24%  of all lists

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Louder than Words”)

·         Spotify Stream

8.  Kayo Dot – Coffins on Io

Toby Driver, the mind behind Kayo Dot, is a simply beloved figure in the avant prog scene. Anything his immensely creative hand touches, the prog community swarms around. He’s been active the past few years, with three albums in the past three years, and the past three have simply been fantastic. Coffins on Io is a new direction for Driver and co., as most of his albums prove to be, and as everyone expected, Driver seems to master whatever style he wishes to try his hand at. Coffins on Io is a venture into a new planetary system, and Driver as pilot makes for an excellent ride.

“Kayo Dot is one of those bands known for changing their tune with every album, but arguably never more so than with Coffins on Io. …”a good record to put on while you drive across the desert at night under a toxic, post-apocalyptic atmosphere" is absurdly accurate… Much has also been made of it being probably the most accessible Kayo Dot album, with the emphasis being placed squarely on Driver's greatly melodic and clean vocals… A fantastic and atmospheric…album.” –Kazza3, Forum Senior Member

Statistics:

·         Genre: RIO/Avant Prog

·         44 ratings, 3.68 stars

·         Appears on 16%  of all lists

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Library Subterranean”)

·         Spotify Stream

9.  Dream the Electric Sleep – Heretics

One of the newer groups in this top 10, Dream the Electric Sleep’s debut album only came out 3 years prior in 2009. The band really hit the prog scene’s radar this year, however, with their simply stellar album Heretics. DTES encapsulates all the phenomenal qualities of alternative prog rock and synthesizes them into a powerful and dynamic album fit to sit amongst legends such as Pink Floyd. The power trio thunderously preforms the album, and it’s clear that performance made its way to the top of many of this year’s voters’ lists.

“As the pounding rhythm of Dream the Electric Sleep's new album 'Heretics' blasts its way into your ear canals, you can tell that you are in for some inspired, incredible music…. the band has crafted what will surely be seen as one of the best of 2014, for sure…. Again and again this album floored me…. Excellent songs join each other end to end, and the album pushes on breathlessly. We get emotionally heavy songs, delicate nostalgic ballads, complex structures, and experimental collaborations. I just love it. Dream the Electric Sleep's 'Heretics' is a must-hear for 2014. It's that simple.” –Second Life Syndrome, Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Crossover Prog

·         163 ratings, 3.83 stars

·         Appears on 16%  of all lists

·         Number of #1 listings: 3

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Utopic”)

·         Spotify Stream

10.      Knifeworld – The Unravelling

Anyone who is familiar with the psychedelic and avant side of progressive rock band will most likely be familiar with the remarkably prolific Kavus Torabi, whose solo project goes by the name Knifeworld. Torabi is involved in hosts of projects and bands, ranging from The Cardiacs to Guapo to Chrome Hoof. Torabi’s influences are about as far reaching as they come, and this eclectic influence base is obvious in his second full-length album. Motes of classic symphonic prog, avant prog, jazz fusion, math rock, minimalism, and more can be found in this album. It seems that there’s something for everyone on this album, which comes as no surprise seeing as it scored so high this year.

“It's only halfway through the year so far but [The Unravelling] may well end up as my album of the year for 2014. …This is the sort of clever complex psychedelic pop that XTC and Mike Kenneally have specialized in. … You can turn this all the way up and everything is really clear. While Kavus' guitar is very prominent in everything, it's really the bassoon and vocals that give this album a depth of sound that is pretty unique. There's song craft, complexity, riffs, and hooks a plenty…. This is a masterpiece.” –Nogbad_the_bad, Collaborator

Statistics:

·         Genre: Crossover Prog

·         41 ratings, 3.68 stars

·         Appears on 18%  of all lists

·         Soundcloud Sample (“Destroy the World We Love”)

·         Spotify Stream

Let the awards ceremony begin! Party

A full list will be posted momentarily.

Edited by Andy Webb - July 17 2015 at 12:57
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:37
Full List of Albums as Voted by PA Collaborators
# Artist Album Total no. of Points
1 Opeth Pale Communion 316
2 IQ The Road of Bones 288
3 Seven Impale City Of The Sun 270
4 Swans To Be Kind 220
5 Logos L'Enigma Della Vita 194
6 Motorpsycho Behind the Sun 193
7 Pink Floyd The Endless River 192
8 Kayo Dot Coffins on Io 160
9 Dream the Electric Sleep Heretics 148
10 Knifeworld The Unraveling  146
11 PoiL Brossaklitt 114
12 Ut Gret Ancestor's Tale 106
13 Transatlantic Kaleidoscope 96
Corvus Stone Corvus Stone II 96
15 Perfect Beings  Perfect Beings 90
A Silver Mt. Zion F**k Off Get Free… 90
17 Lunatic Soul Walking on a Flashlight Beam 88
18 Deluge Grander Heliotians 82
Frank Zappa Roxy by Proxy 82
20 Gazpacho Demon 80
21 Happy Family Minimal Gods 78
22 Mostly Autumn Dressed in Voices 74
Electric Orange Volume 10 74
24 Moetar Entropy of the Century 72
Mogwai Rave Tapes 72
26 Anathema Distant Satellites 70
27 Univers Zero Phosphorescent Dreams 66
28 Guillaume Perret & The Electric Epic Open Me 64
Solaris Marsbéli Krónikák II (Martian Chronicles II) 64
30 Kaukasus I 62
31 Morbus Chron Sweven 60
32 Atomic Ape Swarm 58
33 iamthemorning Belighted 56
34 Steve Rothery The Ghosts of Pripyat 52
Gong I See You 52
36 Frequency Drift Over 50
Necromonkey A Glimpse of Possible Endings 50
Randone Ulreia 50
39 Dean Watson Fantasizer! 48
Hail Spirit Noir Oi Magoi 48
41 Daal Dances of the Drastic Navels 46
Secret Chiefs 3 Ishraqiyun : Perichoresis 46
43 Robert Reed Sanctuary 44
Animals as Leaders The Joy of Motion 44
Anubis Gate Horizons 44
Thantifaxath Sacred White Noise 44
FEM Prog Band Sulla bolla di sapone 44
Jakob Sines 44
49 Fire! Orchestra Enter 43
50 Hibernal Replacements 42
Nodo Gordiano Nous 42
Agusa Hogtid 42
53 Eccentric Orbit Creations of the Humanoids 40
Spleen Arcana The Light Beyond the Shades 40
Moraine Groundswell 40
56 Adebisi Shank This is the Third Album of A Band… 38
A.C.T. Circus Pandemonium 38
58 Pendragon Men Who Climb Mointains 36
59 Astrolabio L'Isolamento dei Numari Pari 34
The Devin Townsend Project Z2 34
61 Glass Hammer Ode To Echo 33
62 Djam Karet 3017 Regenerator 32
Mike Oldfield Man on the Rocks 32
Mastodon Once More Round the Sun 32
65 Circa Survive Descensus  30
Introitus Anima 30
Alcest Shelter 30
Magma Rïah Sahïltaahk 30
69 The Contortionist Language 29
70 Ysma Fourth Wall 28
Sonar Static Motion 28
Hiromi Alive 28
Major Parkinson Twilight Cinema 28
Goat Commune 28
Phoenix Again Look Out 28
76 Distorted Harmony Chain Reaction 26
Samurai of Prog The imperial hotel 26
Threshold For The Journey 26
Vanden Plas Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld (Path 1) 26
Cynic Kindly Bent to Free Us 26
Lantlos Melting Sun 26
Deerhoof La Isla Bonita 26
John Zorn The Last Judgment 26
Tim Bowness Abandoned Dancehall Dreams 26
85 Devin Townsend Casualties of Cool 24
Pymlico Guiding Light 24
FreddeGredde Brighter Skies 24
Duwa Budjana Surya Namaskar 24
Anubis Hitchhiking To Byzantium 24
Ian Anderson Homo Eratticus 24
91 Ad Maiora Ad Maiora 22
Dropshard Silk 22
Fabio Zuffanti La Quarta Vittima 22
Anton Roolaart The Plight Of Lady Oona 22
Fen Carrion Skies 22
96 Lowercase Noises This is for our Sins  20
Arlekin Disguise Serenades 20
Syndone Odysséas 20
Epica Quantum Enigma 20
Quantum Fantay Terragaia 20
Marty Friedman Inferno 20
Zoltan Sixty minute zoom 20
Latte e Miele  Passio Secundum Mattheum: The Complete Work 20
Sunn 0))) / Ulver Terrestrials 20
Spoke of Shadows Spoke of Shadows 20
The D Project Making Sense 20
Agalloch The Serpent and the Sphere 20
Syd Arthur Sound Mirror 20
Rhys Marsh Sentiment 20
110 Over the Earth The Accident 18
Protean Collective The Red and the Grey 18
Stewart Bell The antechamber of being (part 1) 18
Ossicles Mantelpiece 18
Druckfarben Second Sound 18
Colin Mold Now You See Me 18
Marco Ragni Mother from the Sun 18
Ideamen Schemata  18
Flaming Row Mirage 18
Trioscapes Digital Dream Sequence 18
OOIOO Gamel 18
Kant Freud Kafka No Tengas Miedo 18
Lizards Exist Lizards Exist 18
123 Mats/Morgan [schack tati] 16
Hemina Nebulae 16
Brimstone Mannsverk 16
Nomads of Hope Breaking the Circles for a While 16
Huis Despite guardian angels 16
Mad Fellaz Mad Fellaz 16
United Progressive Fraternity Fall in love with the World 16
Synaesthesia Synaesthesia 16
Papir IIII 16
Junius Days of the Fallen Sun 16
Fractal Mirror Garden of Ghosts 16
Ne Obliviscaris Citadel 16
Hominido  Estirpe Litica 16
Clearlight Impressionist Symphony 16
Crippled Black Phoenix White Light Generator 16
O Corvo Mudo Linhas  16
139 Discipline This One's For England 14
Nucleus Torn Street Lights Fail 14
Delusion Squared the Final Delusion 14
Abel Ganz Abel Ganz 14
Steve Roach The Delicate Forever 14
Light Damage Light Damage 14
Redemption Live From The Pit 14
Crazy World of Arthur Brown Zim Zam Zim 14
Aquaserge A l'Amitie 14
Giron Forest 14
Moonlit Sailor We come from exploding stars 14
Flying Colors Second Nature 14
Superdensecrushloadfactor Themes 14
Hail the Sun Wake 14
Messenger Illusory Blues 14
Anima Morte Upon Darkened Stains 14
155 Frank Carducci Torn Apart 12
hAND Kintsugi 12
Lagartija Amore di Vinile 12
Accordo dei Contrari AdC 12
Coloseum Time On Our Side 12
PFM Paper Charms 12
Backhand Through the turbulence 12
Fallujah The Flesh Prevails 12
Rick Miller Heart Of Darkness 12
Keith Emerson Live from Manticore Hall 12
Mekong Delta In A Mirror Darkly 12
Eno-Hyde Someday World 12
Kaipa Sattyg 12
Random Pidanoma 12
The Samuel Jackson Five Seasons In The Hum 12
Node Node 2 12
171 Syd Arthur A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble 11
Modest Midget Crysis 11
173 Led Bib The People in Your Neighborhood 10
3rd Ear Experience Incredible Good Fortune 10
Nick Magnus N'Monix 10
Pain of Salvation Falling Home 10
Tiger Moth Tales Cocoon 10
Vanishing Point Distant is the Sun 10
Nichelodeon/Insonar UKIYOE 10
Tempel On the Steps of the Temple 10
Cheeto's Magazine Boiling Fowls 10
My Brother the Wind Once There Was a Time When Time and Space Were One 10
Subterranean Masquerade The Great Bazaar 10
Anglagard Prog Pa Svenska Live In Japan 10
Don Kerzner* New World 10
186 Krokofant Krokofant 8
Contemporary Dead Finnish Music Ensemble Dark Matters  8
This Will Destroy You Another Language 8
Team Me Blind as Night 8
Karfagen Magician's thater 8
RPWL Wanted 8
Minor Giant On the Road 8
Stream of Passion A War of Our Own 8
Purson In The Meantime 8
Dave Bainbride Celestial Fire 8
Panopticon Roads to the North 8
Unicorn Porn The White Stag 8
Jack O' The Clock Night Loops 8
Bjorn Riis Lullabies in a Car Crash 8
John Zorn Valentine's Day 8
Evergrey Hymns For the Broken 8
Panic Room Incarnate 8
Simak Dialog Live at Orion 8
204 SOT Redwings Nest 6
Monarch Trail Skye 6
Weltraum Spirituality 6
Battiato/Pinaxa Joe Patti's Experimental Group 6
Mushroom Giant Painted Mantra 6
Lazuli Tant Que L'herbe est Grasse 6
Enchant The Great Divide 6
The Merlin Bird Chapter and Verse 6
Glazz The Jamming Sessions: Take II 6
Haken Restoration 6
Pavlovs Dog The Pekin Tapes 6
Senmuth WAB SWT WSRKAF 6
Solstafir Otta 6
Rosa Luxemburg Chapitres III & IV 6
Primus Primus and the Chocolate factory 6
Pinhas/Ambarchi Tikken 6
Eyot  Similiarity 6
A Lonely Crowd Transients 6
Zoundworks 2014 6
223 Iluvator From The Silence 4
Aranis Made In Belgium II 4
Matt Stevens Lucid 4
Chickencage Experiment KamaSutra BlackBelt 4
Smallman Envision 4
Zombie Frogs Awaken 4
Woven Hand Refractory Obdurate 4
Michael Pinnella Ascension 4
John Zorn On Leaves of Grass 4
Saga Sagacity 4
Jeff Green Elder Creek 4
Vintersorg Naturbål 4
Machine Mass Trio Inti 4
Alex Carpani Four Destinies 4
Long Distance Calling Nighthawk 4
238 Eyesberg Blue 2
The Pineapple Thief Magnolia 2
Trojan Horse World Turned Upside Down 2
Giant Squid Minoans 2
Bob Drake Lawn Ornaments 2
Superfluous Motor Shipwrecked 2
Curved Air North Star 2
Flor de Loto Nuevo Mesias 2
Yes Heaven & Earth 2
Umphrey's McGee Similar Skin 2
Silhouette Beyond the Seventh Wave 2
Asia Gravitas  2
Pinhas/Yoshida Welcome…In the Void 2
Tangerine Dream Sorcerer 2
Quarto Vuoto Quarto Vuoto 2
Taika  Aware 2

Edited by Andy Webb - February 01 2015 at 16:35
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:40
Thanks Andy for the hard workClap

Interesting list although Opeth or Steven Wilson will always win it seemsSmile
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 02:45
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Thanks Andy for the hard workClap

Every year they find a way. LOL

And Steven Wilson helps mix the Opeth albums!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 03:40
Thanks and congratulations for the hard work Andy Clap

A great selection of music, showing that Prog is alive and well.

ps (kindly fix the Floyd album image link)
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 04:35

Thanks for this.
As far as i've seen we're the only site that has Seven Impale in the top 10 so we still rule! Smile
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 04:56
Thank you, Andy!

Btw, I'm so proud that I suggested PoiL for PA and THEY ARE SO HIGH ON THE PA' LIST!

11PoiLBrossaklitt114
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 04:59
Thanks for another great piece of work. Apart from the PF album, I can see why all the others made it through to the top-10, which is a nice mix of well-known and not so well-known bands Approve
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:13
Nice work Andy Clap
What?
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:27
Well done, Andy, as always. Thumbs Up
Bigger on the inside.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:43
Nice work Andy, and for once there's a lot of music in the list that I'd actually enjoy!LOL
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 05:59
Great job, Andy! Clap I am glad to see two of my own Top 10 albums in the list, and the excellent 12th placement reached by Ut Gret's Ancestor's Tale. Personally, I didn't care for Pale Communion, but am not surprised at seeing it (or the new Pink Floyd) in the list.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:22
Heyyyy a couple of my picks made it in. Smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:29
are Pavlov's Dog, Kaipa and PFM album any good?
BTW, the last album of Yes was their worst, biggest disppointment of 2014.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 06:43
Great job!! Didn't know there was a new Pavlov's Dog record - let me at it! Big smile Good to see bands like Swans, Silver Mt Zion and Transatlantic high up, but I wish iamthemorning was in the top 10... Even though the music's inferior to their debut, they've still got a very warming, kind of tangible sound (for me anyway).
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 07:14
Yes!  Now I can go add great music to my collection!  Each year I check out and purchase the top 10 Collaborator albums.  I had IQ, Opeth, and LogoS.   Kudos to the Collaborators!!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 07:19
Very nice work Andyman
I would never have guessed that Opeth would end up as number one. At one point I thought it would either have been Kayo Dot or Seven Impale. They made it to the top 10 though.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 07:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I guess we know who's going to win the Top Albums of 2015 Tongue

Thanks Andy! I'll have to check the albums from the top 10 I don't know Smile

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 07:28
Great work as always, Andy!

Here was my contribution to the 2014 Collab's AOTY list:

1. IQ - The Road of Bones (2)
2. Steven Rothery - The Ghosts of Pripyat (34)
3. Agusa - Högtid (50)
4. Dream the Electric Sheep - Heretics (9)
5. Atomic Ape - Swarm (32)
6. Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices (22)
7. Tim Bowness - Abandoned Dancehall Dreams (76)
8. The Merlin Bird - Chapter and Verse (204)
9. Pink Floyd - The Endless River (7)
10. My Brother the Wind - Once There Was a Time When Time and Space Were One (173)

Very interesting year, although I think last year's class was a bit better. Overall, a wide variety of different influences and compositional styles.

On a side note, I would have voted the brilliant Steve Wilson remaster of Jethro Tull's A Passion Play as the best album of 2014 (because it was), but a remaster is not allowed within the rules.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 01 2015 at 08:53
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2015 at 07:59
Great work again, Andy Clap!

Like Eöl, I make my contribution public here:

1. Deluge Grander - Heliotians (18)
2. FreddeGredde - Brighter Skies (85)
3. Druckfarben - Second Sound (110)
4. Abel Ganz - Abel Ganz (139)
5. Dean Watson - Fantasizer! (39)
6. Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io (8)
7. iamthemorning - Belighted (33)
8. LogoS - L'Enigma della Vita (5)
9. Daal - Dances of the Drastic Navels (41)
X. Dream the Electric Sleep - Heretics (9)

Three albums in the top 10, one album with no other votes.
2014 has been a great year for prog (six albums I would give a 5-star rating and three others coming close).

Edited by someone_else - February 01 2015 at 08:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>