FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2010-2014 in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2010-2014 in prog
    Posted: February 02 2015 at 02:50
Well, we're past the halfway point of the 2010s decade, so I thought a thread to discuss music & prog in the last five years might be in order. Some might say that five years is too short a timeframe to have a meaningful discussion about musical trends and the like, and they would probably be right, but what the heck.

So what trends have you seen in prog, and maybe music more generally, in the last five years? The ascendancy of Steven Wilson? Maybe that metal doesn't seem to be at the forefront of prog or rock in general in the way that it was not so long ago? A decline in the wave of prog and prog-related (or nu-prog, or alternative prog, or whatever...) bands that appeared last decade and gained widespread popularity?

What about NEW prog rock bands? Favourite artists, favourite albums, favourite live acts? Are the old guard still alive and kicking? Anything you think of as groundbreaking? Or anything else?

For reference, the current PA top 10 of 2010-14:

1. IQ- The Road of Bones (2014)
2. Steven Wilson- The Raven That Refused To Sing (2013)
3. Änglagård- Viljans Öga (2012)
4. Ske- 1000 Autunni (2011)
5. Opeth- Pale Communion (2014)
6. iamthemorning- ~ (2012)
7. Steven Wilson- Grace for Drowning (2011)
8. Unreal City- La Crudelta Di Aprile (2013)
9. Discipline- To Shatter All Accord (2011)
10. Big Big Train- English Electric Pt. 1 (2012)

(Left out The Snow Goose due to it being a re-recording)

And the top 3 of the Collaborators' Top Albums for each year:

2010:
Univers Zero- Clivages
Frogg Cafe- Bateless Edge
Kayo Dot- Coyote/Haken- Aquarius

2011:
Steven Wilson- Grace for Drowning
Opeth- Heritage
Haken- Visions

2012:
Änglagård- Viljans Öga
Big Big Train- English Electric Pt 1
Echolyn- s/t

2013:
Steven Wilson- The Raven That Refused To Sing
Haken- The Mountain
Kayo Dot- Hubardo

2014:
Opeth- Pale Communion
IQ- The Road of Bones
Seven Impale- City of the Sun

(Key:
Bands that debuted between 2010-14
Bands that debuted in the 00s
Bands that debuted in the 90s
Bands that debuted in the 80s
Bands that debuted in the 70s or earlier)

Edited by Kazza3 - February 02 2015 at 02:51
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 02:54
Here's my list of top albums, for today at least. 

1. The Mars Volta- Noctourniquet
2. Kayo Dot- Coyote
3. Swans- To Be Kind
4. Everything Everything- Man Alive
5. Beardfish- Mammoth
6. Karnivool- Asymmetry
7. Kayo Dot- Coffins on Io
8. St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
9. IQ- The Road of Bones
10. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez- Un Escorpion Perfumado
11. PoiL- Brossaklitt
12. Jaga Jazzist- One-Armed Bandit
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:34
Crossover has grown in the last few years and will come to dominate the prog world. 
I'm also enjoying the Krautrock revival, with three of Electric Orange's recent albums highly rated among that subgenre.

Glad to see that Progressive Metal has dropped in favour, with only one 2010s entry barely scraping into the Top 30 rated PM albums.  It's one thing for a subgenre to be less popular than another, but for it to be less popular than its own earlier output just means it's lost it and the fanboys have left

We're also witnessing possibly the last hurrahs of the original crowd of bands, with some terrific recent offerings from (insert names here, except Yes)

rotten hound of the burnie crew
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 03:55
2010 - Kyrbgrinder - Cold War Technology (side project of Threshold's drummer)
2011 - Myrath - Tales of the Sand
2012 - Marillion - Sounds that Can't Be Made
2013 - Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
2014 - Nightingale - Retribution

this is hard to do, there were plenty of great albums to choose from, I'll make other lists in the near future. Big smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:03
I'm not following much of the latest Prog in detail, but yes, I would say that pure Metal seems to be declining, or at least morphing into more melodic shapes like Haken, the modern Pendragon etc. Crossover is indeed growing strong, and there seems to be also some comeback of Neo and RPI. And new ways of Ecclecticism seem to be popping up, stretching the boundaries of the previous definitions of Prog, something that has caused some debate recently (the 'should PA remain a Prog-Rock site or open itself to all kinds of Modern Progressive Music' thread).

The genre is clearly alive, what I'm not so sure is how many of these releases will be considered classic masterpieces within 10 or 20 years.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:26
1. Echolyn - Echolyn
2. Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One)
3. Deluge Grander - Heliotians
4. Akt - Blemmebeya
5. FreddeGredde - Brighter Skies
6. Discipline - To Shatter All Accord
7. Days between Stations - In Extremis
8. Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance
9. Druckfarben - Second Sound
X. Abel Ganz - Abel Ganz

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:36
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

1. Echolyn - Echolyn
2. Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One)
3. Deluge Grander - Heliotians
4. Akt - Blemmebeya
5. FreddeGredde - Brighter Skies
6. Discipline - To Shatter All Accord
7. Days between Stations - In Extremis
8. Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance
9. Druckfarben - Second Sound
X. Abel Ganz - Abel Ganz

But what do you think regarding the topic?  Let's not turn this into listings lists
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 04:51
Starting from 2009 - the year when I became an "official" reviewer for a long-established website - I have become increasingly aware of the wealth of new music released under the roomy "prog" umbrella. Therefore, I have a lot to say about this particular timeframe, and a lot of albums to recommend. However, I must soon get ready to go out to work, so I will have to wait until later today to say my piece. I promise an exhaustive response to the OPSmile!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 16:48
Sticking to strictly "new" artistst -
Black Mountain    Wilderness Heart    2010            1417    6/2/11    5                                             
Maserati    Pyramid Of The Sun    2010            1453    10/3/11    36                                            
Phideaux    Snowtorch    2010            1461    6/8/11    8                                                
Reasoning, The    Acoustically Speaking    2010            1469    6/29/1                                                
Reasoning, The    Adverse Camber    2010            1470    6/29/11    14                                                Nemez, Nadav    So Far    2010                6/21/12    6                                                        
Tea Club, The    Quickly Quickly Quickly    2010                3/12/13    5                                            Levin, Tony, David Torn, Alan White    Levin Torn White    2011            1452    9/20/11    31                                Storm Corrosion    Storm Corrosion    2011                4/12/13    7                                                Wilson, Steven    Grace For Drowning    2011            1495    9/30/11    35                                            Big Big Train    English Electric    2012                10/15/12    8                                        Henry Fool    Men Singing    2012                11/20/13    16                                            Maserati    Maserati VII    2012                11/20/13    17                                            Reasoning, The    Adventures In Neverland    2012                10/20/12    9                                        Samuel Jackson Five, The    Samuel Jackson Five, The    2012                6/16/12    3                                Staves, The    Dead & Born & Grown    2012                11/6/13    14                                            Stereokimono    Intergalactic Art Café    2012                6/16/12    4                                            Herd Of Instinct    Conjure    2013                2/6/13    1                                                remiata Forneria Marconi    PFM In Classic - Da Mozart A Celebration    2013                12/4/13    22                        Thieve's Kitchen, The    One For Sorrow, Two For Joy    2013                7/30/13    10                                        
Anubis    Hitchiking To Byzantium    2014                6/30/14                                                    Dream The Electric Sleep    Heretics    2014                5/9/14                                            Electric Orange    Volume 10    2014                11/18/2014                                                Fractal Mirror    Garden of Ghosts    2014                11/18/2014                                            Knifeworld    Unravelling, The    2014                7/28                                            
Perfect Beings    Perfect Beings    2014                3/4/14                                                    
Pymlico    Guiding Lignt    2014                11/17/2014                                                    Rothery, Steve    Ghosts of Pripyat, The    2014                11/14/2014                                                Umphrey's McGee    Similar Skin    2014                7/12/14                                                                                            
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 16:56
^There's a government conspiracy hidden in there. I just know it.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:16
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Here's my list of top albums, for today at least. 

1. The Mars Volta- Noctourniquet
2. Kayo Dot- Coyote
3. Swans- To Be Kind
4. Everything Everything- Man Alive
5. Beardfish- Mammoth
6. Karnivool- Asymmetry
7. Kayo Dot- Coffins on Io
8. St. Vincent- Strange Mercy
9. IQ- The Road of Bones
10. Omar Rodriguez-Lopez- Un Escorpion Perfumado
11. PoiL- Brossaklitt
12. Jaga Jazzist- One-Armed Bandit

Fantastic list there buddy. 
Agreed on most of those albums. I'll post mine and some thoughts soon. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 17:36
Some great stuff this half decade so far. Really been digging Motorpsycho, Anubis, Electric Orange, Enslaved, Perfect Beings, Swans, Seven Impale, Fen, Lunatic Soul, Necromonkey, Trout Cake, even The Flower Kings's two recent efforts.

The old guard? Well, the '70's bands are either rolling over, or putting out last hurrahs. Clockwork Angels and The Endless River are definitely the latter. Everyone from the '80's and '90's who are still around are kicking and well at that.

Some favourite albums:
1) The Death Defying Unicorn - Motorpsycho (with Stale Storlokken and a boatload of friends)
2) The Seer - Swans
3) Riitiir - Enslaved
4) To Be Kind - Swans
5) City of The Sun - Seven Impale
6) A Glimpse of Possible Endings - Necromonkey
7) A Tower of Silence - Anubis
8) Carrion Skies - Fen
9) The Raven That Refused To Sing - Steven Wilson
10) Ultrasounds - Trout Cake
11) Perfect Beings - Perfect Beings
12) Vol. 10 - Electric Orange
13) Walking On A Flashlight Beam - Lunatic Soul
14) Desolation Rose - The Flower Kings
15) Hitchhiking To Byzantium - Anubis
16) Epoch - Fen
17) Geese and Swans - Vezhlivyj Otkaz
18) Legacy - Hypnos 69
19) Banks of Eden - The Flower Kings
20) Felicite Thosz - Magma
21) Corvus Stone II - Corvus Stone
22) History of The Visitation - Guapo
23) Gloss Drop - Battles
24) Hogtid - Agusa
25) Krautrock From Hell - Electric Orange

Edited by Lear'sFool - February 02 2015 at 17:44
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 18:00
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Well, we're past the halfway point of the 2010s decade, so I thought a thread to discuss music & prog in the last five years might be in order. Some might say that five years is too short a timeframe to have a meaningful discussion about musical trends and the like, and they would probably be right, but what the heck.

So what trends have you seen in prog, and maybe music more generally, in the last five years? The ascendancy of Steven Wilson? Maybe that metal doesn't seem to be at the forefront of prog or rock in general in the way that it was not so long ago? A decline in the wave of prog and prog-related (or nu-prog, or alternative prog, or whatever...) bands that appeared last decade and gained widespread popularity?

What about NEW prog rock bands? Favourite artists, favourite albums, favourite live acts? Are the old guard still alive and kicking? Anything you think of as groundbreaking? Or anything else?

Sorry about cutting your post short, but I needed to see the introduction in order to craft the response I promised earlier today.

Personally speaking, one of the most distinctive trends I have noticed in the past few years is the drift away from the traditional prog "epic" and the focus on shorter compositions, which nonetheless pack a lot of progressive elements. Related to this trend is the emphasis on the song form, though revisited from a progressive point of view, and incorporating a wide range of influences that, in some case, are quite different from those that helped shape the original prog movement.  This is, in my opinion, why Crossover is at the moment the most exciting subgenre among those included on PA.

Unlike other posters, I'd rather not make a list of bands/artists that have caught my fancy in the past five years. On my blog you can find four "year in review" posts (starting from 2011), where I mention some of the most impressive albums of those years. Unfortunately for his fans, Steven Wilson does not feature prominently in any of my articles, nor do I consider him particularly exciting or groundbreaking (though he's been undeniably influential).

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 18:04
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Unfortunately for discerning musical listeners LOL, Steven Wilson does not feature prominently in any of my articles, nor do I consider him particularly exciting or groundbreaking (though he's been undeniably influential   popular with the kiddies LOL).

damnit girl... another forum 'like' to you.  I'm never going to catch you..Angry

and you thought I loved you for your sexy legs .. hot as hell accent...and good cooking...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 18:13
OP:  I think that there are some labels that are doing a wonderful job of promoting good alternative, somewhat innovative or at least refreshing music. 

I try virtually anything/everything AltrOck publishes (and continue to do so because I love pretty much everything they produce).
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 19:46
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I try virtually anything/everything AltrOck publishes (and continue to do so because I love pretty much everything they produce).

yeah man... here.. have a forum thanks LOL for spreading the word about that great label dude..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 22:08
The trends seem to be away from metal and jazz, and yet the active crop of bands embraces a distinct eclecticism. Attention seems to have moved toward using concept, composition, and flow to express originality rather than relying on raw instrumental prowess (e.g., Phideaux, Abel Ganz). This appears to reflect a combination of matured instrumentation coupled with the fact that there are only 12 half-step notes in an octave.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 01:20
Yep loads more crossover and the good ship Steven Wilson sails on serenely.

For me however probably Anathema are the most interesting 'new' thing to happen with the album We Are Here Because We Are Here. They used to be 'doom metal' then saw the light and started making post rock/metal fusion (or something like that). Its basically music with heart and 'balls'. No prizes for guessing who produced it though.Smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 01:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yep loads more crossover and the good ship Steven Wilson sails on serenely.

For me however probably Anathema are the most interesting 'new' thing to happen with the album We Are Here Because We Are Here. They used to be 'doom metal' then saw the light and started making post rock/metal fusion (or something like that). Its basically music with heart and 'balls'. No prizes for guessing who produced it though.Smile

But they haven't been doom since Eternity (1996).
The album you mention is great indeed.

I do prefer The Gathering's last 2 albums to Anathema's. Disclosure (2012) and Afterwords (2013) were much more satisfying than the last 2 Anathema albums. Check The Gathering if you haven't already, I think you won't be disappointed.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 05:31
Some excellent and detailed thoughts. Clap

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

OP:  I think that there are some labels that are doing a wonderful job of promoting good alternative, somewhat innovative or at least refreshing music. 

I've never really been one to follow specific labels, until last year, when I started following what Cuneiform was doing. Fantastic for RIO/Avant.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>