Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTarkus: ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 06:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

The Only Way is a fabulous prog hymn! So glorious, rarely found with such passion in the prog world...
Tarkus so well unleashes ELP's dynamic energy in such a fantastic composition, and incredible how so deep and complex melodies are played in such a bombastic way!
No need to extend my impressions, this album is another ELP's gem.

The idea of an atheist hymn is an excellent one, but The Only Way is executed so badly imo. Lakes voice is unusually awful, with bum notes all over the place. It sounds like he's singing staggering home from the pub or in the shower...

Lake liked (or tended) to sing 'off key'. A truly bad example though would be Lay Down Your Guns. I must go and read your review of ELPowell again. Always make me laughLOL

To be honset I quite like the ELPowell album these days. If I wrote that review again it wouldn't be quite so scathing. There are some excellent tracks on that album. The Score and The Miracle are great tracks..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 06:38
Without Tarkus Prog would not have been the same, it's the album which most impressed me in my childhood.
And I like side B too, it's different but good, no other band made this sort of stuff, they were being themselves. Emerson would not be Emerson if he didn't release songs like Jeremy Bender. Bitches Christal and A Time And A Place are terrific, and The Only Way is beautiful music, regardless of what you think about the lyrics. Only Are You Ready Eddy is a let down but it can be forgiven.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 07:19
It's the sound of the future circa 1971 foisted on to a receptive demographic by a pushy employer who had the nous to exploit the fleeting longevity of the viability of challenging music in the marketplace. Most people remember where they were when JFK was shot, but there are those us old enough to remember considerably more inexplicable instances when Lee Harvey Oswald's triple concept album about the gullibility of humankind would have attracted platinum sales.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 15:28
Horse_Mouth, a RateYourMusic reviewer who's quite the ELP fan, has made a humourous list of Albums That Are Inferior to Tarkus. His reviews are also a pretty good source for obscure progressive rock, as well as jazz and early electronic music for that matter.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 15:34
^Hold on. I'm still trying to figure out what Ian said! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 15:36
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Horse_Mouth, a RateYourMusic reviewer who's quite the ELP fan, has made a humourous list of Albums That Are Inferior to Tarkus. His reviews are also a pretty good source for obscure progressive rock, as well as jazz and early electronic music for that matter.
What? The Seatbelts are inferior to ELP's Tarkus? Angry 
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 15:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think that the second best album cover for an ELP album (BSS is the first!) nicely wrapped a prog classic. What's your opinion of Tarkus?
One of the greatest albums of British Prog. A crystal-line masterpiece without a weak moment. 
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 16:00
You gotta admit that Lego Tarkus looks pretty damn rad.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 16:08
True, but I'm still waiting on lego BSS!

Edited by SteveG - February 13 2015 at 11:47
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 16:58
I think the title track is superior to anything Bob Fripp ever wrote.  But I really don't pit them against each other.  I just say it to throw a little thing to think about for all those who think KC is the BEST at technical
rock.  
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 18:10
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I think the title track is superior to anything Bob Fripp ever wrote.  But I really don't pit them against each other.  I just say it to throw a little thing to think about for all those who think KC is the BEST at technical
rock.  

tsk tsk... that isn't fair to single Fripp out. LOL  The title track to Tarkus is superior to anything anyone has done with one exception..

the title track to Close to the Edge. Clap  Even ELP couldn't pull off a technically flawless, perfectly constructed 18 minute long pop song that prog fans have eaten alive for 40 plus years.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 18:24
One of the few ELP albums I still enjoy regularly. I can live without The Only Way, but otherwise I love it all, particularly the title suite. It's how I like to remember ELP.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 22:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

rock.  

tsk tsk... that isn't fair to single Fripp out. LOL  The title track to Tarkus is superior to anything anyone has done with one exception..

the title track to Close to the Edge. Clap  Even ELP couldn't pull off a technically flawless, perfectly constructed 18 minute long pop song that prog fans have eaten alive for 40 plus years.

OK, if Close to the Edge is a pop song, find me a pop lover who mostly dislikes, dismisses, and/or has no patience for prog, but who actually likes/loves CttE.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 02:54
ahem..exhibit A - Tarkus (the 29 minute Live Version from WBMFTTSTNE)  is technically flawless

ELP could pull anything off
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 03:35
2 Pages, almost onto the 3rd...........
I love Tarkus, with all my heart.....esp. Side 1.   I thought, when I first heard it (1989 or so......), the Tarkus suite knocked me out. Side 2 had very good, shorter things. Only Jeremy Bender and Ready Eddie kinda sucked. They are O.K. tunes, but dock a whole star off my rating for the album.
.........I will never skip a second of the entire album, though. Ham or cheese ????
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:26
^^Yes, is there another live version as fantastic as WBMFTTSTNE? Wink

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

rock.  

It's interesting what you points out Micky, my wife can't get familiar with most of the prog I spin at home LOL, even being a pop song fan (though latin much of it) she asks me to put down the volume when that groundbreaking organ takes the scene hahah, but she likes it Smile. Anyway she surprises me every now and then stunned with some of the 'mostly softer' prog pieces, well she also knows and loves very much of classical music, tango, folk, even making me knowing some really amazing stuff that I'd never listened to, kind of an eclectic woman I dare say, well she's my wife Wink

Edited by Rick Robson - February 13 2015 at 06:00

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 05:18
Good album, heterogeneous but why not ? The first title is a little bit stifling and any music needs to breathe. With the first one, my second favorite album of the band.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 05:32
As a track (Ha! Tank tracks inadvertent reference!) "Tarkus" is more Prog than "Echoes" (Too slow) and "Supper's Ready" (Not batsh*t insane as Tarkus).
The second side has some good early 70's tracks. It ends badly with the jam dedicated to Eddie Kramer.
And even on the other songs, it's only one or two lines that shatter the illusion of listening to a great album.
The sound got more developed on BSS but Tarkus shouldn't be overshadowed or dismissed by people outside this forum. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 06:00
^ Eddie Kramer ???? Eddie Offord...........??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>