Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPictures at an Exhibition: ELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures at an Exhibition: ELP
    Posted: February 04 2015 at 00:00
This one was left out so I'm hear to make the topic myself. My favorite album by the band. I absolutely love prog meets classical and this does it for me perfectly. Wish they did more full albums in this style. So good.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - February 04 2015 at 00:01
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 01:38
Not bad for an 'encore' is it?

I have some reservations about it. Side One is just so stop start its infuriating. It feels a lot like someone trying to get the car going but the engine keeps flooding. The Sage makes a great stand alone track and Blues Variation is Carl yet again doing his trademark shuffle. My God did he love doing that!

Side Two is much more interesting and things really come together in a big way. The Baba Yaga section is the best part of the album for me as Palmer works himself into a frenzy that only he can. BUT I still have a problem and that is Keith Emerson. His organ playing just doesn't quite have it almost as if he gets bored. Emerson is one of those players that either catches fire or fizzles out like a damp squib. This is more of the latter. Compare it to the superior (imo) Lyceum version that was recorded a few months earlier and you will see what I mean. Overall this is a bit of a let down to me. Certainly made a statement but there are just too many weak moments and the flow is not there. I enjoy the shorter versions they did from 1974 onwards which were based mainly on the Baba Yaga section including the underrated version with Orchestra. I would only give it about 2-3 stars. Would have made a better bonus CD imo which was actually the band's original intention.

Oh and for Steve G - nice artwork from William Neal , one of ELP best covers Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 03:24
Stunning album !! Start to finish. Never tire with this album - first acquired in 1987, and still excites me to this day.
Love Tarkus & the debut almost as much. Lake's bass has never sounded soooo good.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 03:42
One of the best albums - ever.  Raw energy crackles through it - at the time Emerson's synth forays must have sounded out of this world i.e. 'The Old Castle'.  Shame about 'Nutrocker' but always forgiven.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 15:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Stunning album !! Start to finish. Never tire with this album - first acquired in 1987, and still excites me to this day.
Love Tarkus & the debut almost as much. Lake's bass has never sounded soooo good.

Eddie Offord was a genius in making a live album sound like a studio album has to be said although personally I prefer live albums to have a raw 'honest' feel.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 18:30
^I not a fan of Eddie Offord so the least I say the better! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 22:13
My favourite album by the band, mainly because it's the most consistant. And I really love Palmer's playing on this one... I really like when the drummer actually follows the melody, and that is something that is not heard very often.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 23:20
IMO, the weakest of their first five, but only because it's mostly a covers album. But what a covers album! Thumbs Up

I really wish they had added more of the original Pictures. I can easily seem them doing "Bydlo" and "The Ballet Of Unhatched Chicks" with the usual bombast.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 01:35
^ Tomita's version with those tracks is quite fun. His version is about 35 minutes in total. ELP managed to make it longer despite dropping some of the sections. PROGGGGGG!LOL
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 01:02
^ I'm listening to Tomita's rendition right now and I want to say he was inspired by ELP, but his style an arrangement sounds more like Wendy Carlos, specifically with the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange.

In any event, wow... just wow. It sounds amazing. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 22:21
ELP's PAAE comes off as an all-out military assault on the classics. What great fun! It's got a great rough-and-tumble spirit and is one of my all-time favorites.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 01:50
Pictures At An Exhibition was probably the best classic for ELP to attack. They aren't the only ones given that there are about 50 different orchestral arrangements in existence of which Ravel's is by far the most famous. Originally it was just a series of pieces for piano so therefore perfect for ELP. Academics can probably tell me whether Emerson followed the original score or pinched Ravel's ( or bit of both?!)
 Post Reply Post Reply