Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Dream Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream Appreciation Thread
    Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:29
With the passing of Edgar Froese, there's never been a better time to remember his works, so here is a long overdue thread to discuss all things good, bad and downright baffling about the assortment of Tangerine Dream works over the decades.

Get started, progressive friends!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:32
Actually, I'll get the ball rolling with a really lovely and subtle piece from one of their recent albums, `Chandra - The Phantom Ferry: part 2', the opening track:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:36
Mike, TD were an early discovery for me (when I was around 14/15) this was a revelation. I couldn't imagine my life without them (taking into account, music is a large part of my life indeed).   
Dunno what moe to say...........
...........it has ALWAYS been Edgar and Klaus.............
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 02:48
You know, Tom, I first heard TDream in a doctors surgery! I was having this laser treatment on my face, and as I was getting prepared, I saw a small stereo on a bookshelf in his studio, with the CD of `Phaedra' sitting next to it! I asked the Doctor about it (at this stage, I only knew OF Tangerine Dream), and he asked did I want to hear it during the procedure. I said `Ok', thinking it would be some peaceful New Age album!

Anyway, as he was working away with this laser, causing me great discomfort, I had to wear these goggles to protect my eyes, and they started fogging up (essentially blinding me while I was wearing them), and I honestly found the music really quite terrifying and mysterious! Very suffocating! Anyway, it took me years to give them another try, but...well, worked out better the next time around!

Strange, it doesn't sound nearly as dark and unsettling these days as it seemed back then to me!

What was the last album of theirs you would have got on vinyl, Tom? Probably `Optical Race'?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 03:57
Great idea for a thread Michael! Thumbs Up

First experience of TD with a laser show, I see LOL It was really frightening the first time I listened to Phaedra as well Tongue

The first album I listened from them was Stratosfear, a much accessible one, not much story though, just making some boring software diagrams on a Sunday afternoon, but this helped me getting them done Tongue

I listened to Hyperborea yesterday, really great album from start to finish, especially the last track. I really need to get more albums from them, to appreciate with much more sound quality... and give my Phaedra LP some rest LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 06:39
Yes, Sam, not the `laser show' I had in mind when thinking of Tangerine Dream!

Cursed `Hyperborea'! That and `White Eagle' are two I don't have either on LP or CD! I keep having to spin the Youtube clips! I will get them, I'm just after the specific Virgin reissue editions of those two. Ebay will be my friend

OK, I picked a random TDream CD for the drive home, thoughts on this one:

QUINOA (1992, but really 1998), described as the following:

"Quinoa was released first in 1992 as a limited edition of 1,000 copies and sent as a gift to the members of the then discontinued official TD International Fan Club (TDIFC) only. Thus, this release became a very rare collector's item. The last CDs which had remained in TD's stock had been sold during TD's German tour in 1997 for 50 DM each. The CD featured one single composition of nearly half an hour, its title originating from a kind of grain which was a essential part of the meals of the Incas in South America.

In June 1998, TD re-released this album on their then new label TDI, including two bonus tracks: `Voxel Ux' had originally been composed for a website competition on TD's official internet homepage in 1996. There had been just one single CD-R released for the winner of this competition only. `Lhasa' was described to be the first movement from a so-called 'Tibetan Cycle', containing six other movements which were unreleased so far. Two years later TD released the cycle in form of the album `The Seven Letters From Tibet', `Lhasa' was extended by an opening of some four minutes and became the fifth composition of the cycle, being re-titled `The Blue Pearl'. "

It seems fairly well received by many TD fans (although I've noticed RichardH's 1 star review on the Archives here! ), some even seemed to consider it a kind of modern `Tangram'! That's definitely being waaaaaaay too generous, but it's a pleasant and easy undemanding listen. Most sections are simply nice and breezy (and it's cool to hear 90's TD offering lengthy longer tracks), but there's a stretch in the middle of the title track that's bombarded with badly dated 90's programmed drums (No doubt Jerome's doing?! ). The final track is a fancy classical-inspired piece, rather grand.

A mostly worthy if still kind of forgettable 90's `TDream release I suppose.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 07:47
Nice music up there, where is that track from?

I heard it on Youtube as well, I will certainly get it if I see it somewhere. This reminded of a photo by another portuguese fan that made me drool the other day Big smile

I don't know that album, I'll have to try that one. It's probably Jerome's doing, his music with Loom has lots of drums, but fortunately not bad like those 90's TD albums Smile
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 07:47
Cheers for the thread, Aussie ! Smile

Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 07:59
TD have been an important band for me since I first heard them many years ago.
A friend introduced me to them (and gave me their first album because he didn't like it)
I'm not sure if I liked it either but I began to buy all of their albums as they came out
(I have almost everything until Underwater Sunlight) until I couldn't find them in the stores anymore.
I have several of the soundtracks as well ..

Rubycon is my ultimate favourite - I spend a lot of hours in my teen years listening to that with the headphones on, watching the fantastic movies my minds eye created to go along with the soundtrack I was hearing.

I'd love to find more of their stuff, I just cant afford the other 80 albums right now :)
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:00
I walked into a record store, saw the Stratosfear cover, listened in the discotique booth and bought it. Heck I must have been 13. Realized now that TD were giants around then and their sound unique. Popol Vuh and Ash Ra Tempel came much later but Klaus Schulze was always in the frame as far as german music goes. Still cant understand FaustSmile

So what an intro to TD........the big sleep in search of hades.....except I know what the title mean now. The album is faultless other than a bit short.

Tangram was the cherry on the top, Rubycon, Rocochet, Force majeure, Phaedra, Cyclone all there too.

Edited by Chris S - February 05 2015 at 10:24
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 10:11
My first TD album as Phaedra upon its release in 1973 , a gorgeous LP artwork that simply drew you in and containing music that was way beyond anything at the time! Whereas Wendy/Walter Carlos was more of a gossip story, TD was the clear pioneer of electronic music. The world was quite open to this dreamy style , as Floyd's Echoes was playing at all the parties that I attended. 37 albums later , TD remain a massive component of my collection as well as a constant companion for introspective dreaming. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 11:27

In high school, when I was first handed a tape that contained a few tracks by Tangerine Dream, I only knew the name via the film The Keep, and I recall that the music had indeed been pretty cool. At the time, I had no idea that a band that recorded this sort of music, let alone the genre, existed. My mind was about to be blown wide open like a flimsy door in the path of a...cyclone.

The first track that really made an impression on me was "Choronzon." Uptempo, rhythmic, unlike anything I'd heard before. What really hooked me was the melody, the lead synth line (presumably played by Johannes. The tag I immediately gave this "type" of music, which was reinforced by subsequently purchasing and listening to Exit, Encore, Tangram, Logos, Rubycon and Stratosfear, was simply "futuremusic."

The albums sounded like soundtracks to other places and times. I did not know the term "progressive rock" yet and though I may possibly have heard the sound of a Mellotron previously, hearing it used in Tangerine Dream would suffice as the first time because of how much it was used on the '70s albums and how distinctly it left its mark. Phaedra and Rubycon sound the way they do because of it. I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of another progressive artist who recorded complete Mellotron-only pieces (with no accompaniment from any other instrument or sound device) before TD.

More or less I was immediately a fan and indulged the pursuit of spending more money on TD's music and finding out more about them, as they were an enigma and those were pre-Web days. Eventually, I added solo albums by TD alumni and music by other artists who were no doubt inspired by this amazing trailblazing group. Tangerine Dream was the ultimate gateway drug.

Edited by verslibre - February 05 2015 at 19:25
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 13:34
At first, Tangerine Dream was a name to me. I found it in a couple of old issues of "Giornalino", which was a christian-oriented comics magazine sold at parishes. It used to have a music column, and I remember reading a review of "Cyclone"... I was a child then, however.
I got into their music only in my early twenties, when I began to discover the German scene starting from Popol Vuh's soundtrack to "Aguirre". My first TD album was Ricochet, and I just got caught in their music. Something curious: in 1993 I bought a vinil copy of "Phaedra"... it had two B-Sides!!! And I was so fool that I went back to the record store to have it changed. Probably nowadays it could be regarded as a rare misprinting, and be worth a fortune!!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 01:48
My earliest recollection of them was hearing Force Majeure on the Friday Rock Show and although I didn't buy the album it stuck with me and eventually I bought it on cassette and first played it in a multi storey car park on my car stereo. WOOOSSH BANG KAPOW!!! Ok I know that sounds like that old Batman series but I would struggle to explain the impact it had on me. Never heard anything else like it.
As I've mentioned before I am very fond of the 1979-1985 era of TD. Even the oft overlooked album Le Parc has some gems like Yellowstone Park and LA Streethawk. 90's was a bit MEH but then the last 10 years or so has seen some very solid releases. My favourite of those is undoubtedly Purgatorio where they use about 6 classically trained female singers. I listen to that a lot , probably more than any TD release. If I was to post a link it would All The Steps To Heaven but I couldn't find that. So instead

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 02:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

My earliest recollection of them was hearing Force Majeure on the Friday Rock Show and although I didn't buy the album it stuck with me and eventually I bought it on cassette and first played it in a multi storey car park on my car stereo. WOOOSSH BANG KAPOW!!! Ok I know that sounds like that old Batman series but I would struggle to explain the impact it had on me. Never heard anything else like it.
As I've mentioned before I am very fond of the 1979-1985 era of TD. Even the oft overlooked album Le Parc has some gems like Yellowstone Park and LA Streethawk. 90's was a bit MEH but then the last 10 years or so has seen some very solid releases. My favourite of those is undoubtedly Purgatorio where they use about 6 classically trained female singers. I listen to that a lot , probably more than any TD release. If I was to post a link it would All The Steps To Heaven but I couldn't find that. So instead

Richard (glad you found the thread, by the way! ), I have been very reluctant to get those `Purgatorio'/Dante's Inferno related discs...I saw a few clips, and while I thought it was certainly ambitious and really quite adventurous for TD, I wasn't sure I'd dig it. Your recommendation makes me a lot more likely to got onto those discs at some point in the near future.

In regards to your post on the `Edgar' thread, that new `Booster' set (Even before what happened with Froese, it was always going to be the final volume) should have just gone on sale. I'll be putting in an order tonight and the 3 CD Australian Tour set.

I dig just pick up the two CD volumes of the live `Tournado' and `Valentine's Wheels' albums, what do you think of those ones if you have them?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 11:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

As I've mentioned before I am very fond of the 1979-1985 era of TD. Even the oft overlooked album Le Parc has some gems like Yellowstone Park and LA Streethawk. 

Add one more year to get 1986 in there. Underwater Sunlight is indispensable. Le Parc was pretty well-received, IIRC. It was the first time I saw an official 'promo video' by TD, for "Tiergarten," which aired regularly on VH-1's Jazz/New Age program New Visions. Johannes left on such a high note. Do we know why he left? I never caught any hints of bad blood between he and Edgar, as opposed to Chris (who apparently has not commented on Edgar's passing, to my knowledge).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 12:39
Great pic! Build me a time machine...

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 13:59
^ Great photo!

Long over due thread, thanks Michael!  Yikes, a doctor's procedure while hearing some TD spooky stuff for the first time...LOL.

Trying to recover my failing brain RAM, I can't remember which album I got them first.  It was either Stratosfear, Tangram, or Force Majeure?  I do remember it was the late 80s as I was tired of the rock scene (prog included) and migrating into the world of instrumental type music (then a lot of it was classified as New Age...always disliked that term for some reason).  Just by album cover alone and reading the instruments used and no vocals I picked it up....and never turned back!  Started to gobble up TD albums.  I think Force Majuere is probably my favorite...but that changes now and then to others Embarrassed

I have not ventured into anything past the Le Parc album, so I am not familiar with any of the latest stuff.  Anyone got any suggestions of the later stuff to start with...say late 90s on?

Edited by AEProgman - February 06 2015 at 14:00
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 14:23
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I have not ventured into anything past the Le Parc album, so I am not familiar with any of the latest stuff.  Anyone got any suggestions of the later stuff to start with...say late 90s on?

You need Underwater Sunlight (1986), Optical Race (1988), and Miracle Mile (1989) at the very least, before you move past the '80s. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 16:56
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

You need Underwater Sunlight (1986), Optical Race (1988), and Miracle Mile (1989) at the very least, before you move past the '80s. Smile

Perfect choices, Verslibre. Definitely check those three out especially, Jim, and the `Firestarter' soundtrack from the early 80's is pretty special as well.

(Or is it `Firewalker'?! Mental blank! I know one of them is a Chuck Norris movie...so not that one!

Verslibre, I'm pretty sure (for what it's worth?) a bluray of the movie `Miracle Mile' is due in the next few months, not sure if it's actually been officialy announced yet. I just recall a post on one of the Facebook pages for a label I buy blurays of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>