Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArtists that you wish you got into years ago!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 07:48
ELP - although, I find their output quite spotty. Tarkus still blows me away
Mars Volta
Wishbone Ash - Not strictly prog but really digging their first three albums
Rush - Got into them in 1980. I wish it had been 1974  Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:06
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Mars Volta
Nice picks. I got into Wishbone Ash a bit late myself. Sometime in the eighties, to be exact. Well, better late than never.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:16
Hi,

Such a weird topic for me ... 40 years ago I was hearing things and enjoying them when no one knew what they were, and they were too busy on disco or some sort of rock'n'roll idealistic concept!

By that time, I already knew many things like Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Aphorodite's Child, Alan Stivell and many other things that we do not consider "progressive" but are still nice and very good. All in all, with my roomate as well for many years, we were able to scour just about all the bands that were around ... and I doubt that we missed a lot of "new" things, like people do today, when they are buried in the heap of nothing!

I still have things, that are not discussed here, little gems that deserve some attention but never will, because we're stuck on one mode, not on music itself!

Edited by moshkito - February 27 2015 at 10:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:20
All Progressivo Italiano bands. And probably VdGG because I really never understood them 'till about two years ago.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:29
Rush, 1977-Was slightly into them by then but missed the 'Farewell to Kings tour (was there one?). It must have been enchanting!
Crimso', 1974-Got into Red the following year but missed their farewell '74 tour.
Genesis, 1974-We all knew the Lamb tour was coming to San Diego and the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. but pooh-poohed it because Gabriel seemed too odd. What a colossal mistake! And we hadn't really given the back catalog a go.
Roxy Music, early '70s-Oh, to have seen Roxy with Eno.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:34
^ I can't think about all my missed opportunities. It's too depressing! Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 10:39
Earlier this week I listened to Amon Duul II for the first time, should have checked them out ages ago!!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 10:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Mars Volta
Nice picks. I got into Wishbone Ash a bit late myself. Sometime in the eighties, to be exact. Well, better late than never.

I remember hearing about Wishbone Ash many years ago but for whatever reason never checked them out. Back in those days I tended to focus on only a few artists at a time. For me, the 80s was primarily Rush. I absorbed everything I could, sometimes at the expense of trying out different artists.

Oh, forgot Gentle Giant. That's another one I wish I had discovered sooner
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2015 at 12:36
Yeah, Gentle Giant for me, too, but also Aphrodite's Child (not to mention I still have to explore the Italian Progressive Rock, i fratelli dell'altro lato delle Alpi).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 00:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Easily the band MAGENTA. Mainly for the idiotic attitude of mine "if it's not on vinyl, I don't wanna know about it".
The Twenty-Seven Club got a vinyl release last year, now I want them ALL. Time will tell if they are on vinyl or not.....
If I may add 2 more :
To me, Chicago were just some 'old fogey's' brass band, until they popped up here at P.A. I was truly dumb-founded as to how/why were they included...... Now, they are AMAZING. I thought 'this dude' Peter Cetera was their cheezy, commercial frontman vocalist, I did not know he played bass as well, and as it turns out, quite adept at it, technically and melodically. Great bass player, no doubt. And drummer Danny Seraphine is also a knock-out. Even guitarist Terry Kath amazes. Then the wind-players are accomplished and keyboarder Robert Lamm, though not much of a 'soloist', is very tasteful. I assumed he just played 'plinky-plonky' piano ditties. Oh, how wrong I was........
Also, Wishbone Ash were a band I heard of (mainly for Iron Maiden's bassist's love for them) since the 80's. I never bothered because there were 'no keyboards'. They appeared here at P.A., I got to see Turner's version of the band, now I'm converted.
And really, I wouldn't make an album purchase these days if it weren't for this trusty site.
In the pre-PA days, I was going off instinct and the Gibraltar Encyclopaedia Of Progressive Rock, which opened many doors...............the rest is history.
Many grateful Thanks for the existence of Progarchives.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2015 at 08:39

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ I can't think about all my missed opportunities. It's too depressing!

I don't think these are "missed opportunities".

I can not name a single band that I "missed" in those days, and when I find some things here and there, they were "minor" or things that were "before" or the like ... perfect example, recently was finding Mike McGear's album before GRIMMS, and it was not a great thing, but if had one or two very nice and funny things.

You, I or anyone else, did not "miss" anything ... we simply were NOT THERE at that moment in time and place to be receptive to it anyway!

And this is what I mean when I say that it comes to me ... I can not control the winds of life and heaven around me, but I certainly can feel them and either roll with them, or ignore them!

Another example of something that I did, was chase ALL the early artists listed in the ingredients on the Harvest Cereal Box. I heard them all ... and the gems that you get? Listening to Mike Oldfield as a 16 and 17 year old, and some other "kids" learn their craft! Mike Oldfield with Kevin Ayers? Mike and Lol Coxhill? What? ...

Edited by moshkito - March 03 2015 at 08:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 01:30

Easily the band MAGENTA. Mainly for the idiotic attitude of mine "if it's not on vinyl, I don't wanna know about it".
The Twenty-Seven Club got a vinyl release last year, now I want them ALL. Time will tell if they are on vinyl or not.....
If I may add 2 more :
To me, Chicago were just some 'old fogey's' brass band, until they popped up here at P.A. I was truly dumb-founded as to how/why were they included...... Now, they are AMAZING. I thought 'this dude' Peter Cetera was their cheezy, commercial frontman vocalist, I did not know he played bass as well, and as it turns out, quite adept at it, technically and melodically. Great bass player, no doubt. And drummer Danny Seraphine is also a knock-out. Even guitarist Terry Kath amazes. Then the wind-players are accomplished and keyboarder Robert Lamm, though not much of a 'soloist', is very tasteful. I assumed he just played 'plinky-plonky' piano ditties. Oh, how wrong I was........
Also, Wishbone Ash were a band I heard of (mainly for Iron Maiden's bassist's love for them) since the 80's. I never bothered because there were 'no keyboards'. They appeared here at P.A., I got to see Turner's version of the band, now I'm converted.
And really, I wouldn't make an album purchase these days if it weren't for this trusty site.
In the pre-PA days, I was going off instinct and the Gibraltar Encyclopaedia Of Progressive Rock, which opened many doors...............the rest is history.
Many grateful Thanks for the existence of Progarchives.

I love Chicago's first couple of albums but thanks to the reviews on here checked out 'VII' which also turned out to be excellent. I also have the Live In Japan album which is recommended.
I've seen Wishbone Ash a couple of times live and they are very enjoyable- played Phoenix of course with its 'false ending'. I like Argus ( of course) although I've not gotten any further than that. My best mate is a big fan so I could borrow some from him no doubt.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 02:31
^ Chicago VII - Superb !! Chicago Live In Japan - probably in my 'Top 10' live albums.
And Wishbone - haven't gone past There's The Rub, but the debut is yet another gem - just perfect.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 11:43
Talk Talk. And should have spent more time with Genesis as a teenager.

Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

All Progressivo Italiano bands.
Some bands in my case. The Holy Italian Trinity: Le Orme, PFM, and Banco.

Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

And probably VdGG because I really never understood them 'till about two years ago.
Same here.

Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

Earlier this week I listened to Amon Duul II for the first time, should have checked them out ages ago!!
What albums did you listen to? Tanz ... is still my favorite album from them.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 05 2015 at 11:48
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2015 at 14:04
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Rush, 1977-Was slightly into them by then but missed the 'Farewell to Kings tour (was there one?). It must have been enchanting!
Crimso', 1974-Got into Red the following year but missed their farewell '74 tour.
Genesis, 1974-We all knew the Lamb tour was coming to San Diego and the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. but pooh-poohed it because Gabriel seemed too odd. What a colossal mistake! And we hadn't really given the back catalog a go.
Roxy Music, early '70s-Oh, to have seen Roxy with Eno.
Saw Rush on the Farewell To Kings tour-yeah, it was enchanting, and then some!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123