Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas in the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Does Kansas's Leftoverture album belong in the top 100?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [18.46%]
27 [41.54%]
3 [4.62%]
7 [10.77%]
16 [24.62%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 13:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Kansas is cursed with several stigmas:

1) the anti-American bias that permeates this forum (yes, it's there, so don't even argue about it,

2) they actually sold albums (King Crimson never sold albums, therefore they must be great prog),

3) they were liked by non-prog listeners (a reason why Pink Floyd can't possibly be prog), and they were unfortunately lumped in with the corporate rock quagmire of the late 70s (StyxBostonForeignerREOSpeedwagonJourney, et al) that eventually destroyed rock as we knew it.

But they are prog, stigmatically-speaking.

oh hell yeah. Well said.

Agree with you 100% on all those points.

Pfff... you american ignorants thinking that the rest of the world bought all your lame american rockmusic. King Crimson had a number one album in the UK and several in the top ten there and in many parts of Europe. Kansas, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Boston, Kansas and all that crap had had a hit or two but were nowhere near as big over here. They were your local mediocre radiofriendly rockbands that every country in the world has their own local version of. 
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 14:03
Saperlipopette! Just so long as I think you are  spouting off about something you know nothing about , how could you ?  putting Kansas in the same bracket as those other Rich extremely commercially successful American classic rock bands ... my advice  .. listen to a Kansas Album first such as Leftoverture  then tell us about the life changing experience  otherwise  just  STFU  Wink

Edited by Enchant X - February 09 2015 at 14:05
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 14:09
LOL
some people need to chill - LOL - I'm amazed this thread, of no relevance whatsoever, has already 3 pages.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Pfff... you american ignorants thinking that the rest of the world bought all your lame american rockmusic. King Crimson had a number one album in the UK and several in the top ten there and in many parts of Europe. Kansas, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Boston, Kansas and all that crap had had a hit or two but were nowhere near as big over here. They were your local mediocre radiofriendly rockbands that every country in the world has their own local version of. 

A N° 1 LP for a couple of weeks means almost nothing in the musical context.

Prog was never as popular as mainstream as some people want to make us believe, and the prove is this:

1974 was the most prolific year in Prog and this are the UK charts of 1974

01David EssexGonna Make You A Star
02The Three DegreesWhen Will I See You Again
03Charles AznavourShe
04George McCraeRock Your Baby
05Terry JacksSeasons In The Sun
06Paper LaceBilly, Don't Be A Hero
07MudTiger Feet
08The RubettesSugar Baby Love
09Ken BootheEverything I Own
10Carl DouglasKung Fu Fighting
11Barry WhiteYou're The First, The Last, My Everything
12John DenverAnnie's Song
13The OsmondsLove Me For A Reason
14Suzi QuatroDevil Gate Drive
15The DriftersKissin' In The Back Row
16AbbaWaterloo
17ShowaddywaddyHey Rock And Roll
18The New SeekersYou Won't Find Another Fool Like Me
19The StylisticsYou Make Me Feel Brand New
20The HolliesThe Air That I Breathe
21WomblesWombling Song
22Alvin StardustJealous Mind
23Ray StevensThe Streak
24SylviaY Viva Espana
25Charlie RichThe Most Beautiful Girl
26Donny & Marie OsmondI'm Leaving It All Up To You
27QueenKiller Queen
28WomblesRemember You're A Womble
29The SweetTeenage Rampage
30MudLonely This Christmas

So all the noise about cheesy Americans is absurd.

PS: I'm not from USA and most of the music I listen is from UK and Italy

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 15:46

King Crimson had a number one album in the UK and several in the top ten there and in many parts of Europe.

Not that it matters, but King Crimson never had a #1 album in the UK.  ITCHYCOCK made it to #5 and wasn't certified Gold until 44 years after its release. Geek

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 16:00
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

<span id="userPro41" ="msgSidePro" title="View Drop Down">Saperlipopette! </span>Just so long as I think you are  spouting off about something you know nothing about , how could you ?  putting Kansas in the same bracket as those other Rich extremely commercially successful American classic rock bands ... my advice  .. listen to a Kansas Album first such as Leftoverture  then tell us about the life changing experience  otherwise  just  STFU 

I did that to insult you because you're an idiot. I know Kansas and I can't stand them. thankfully they are as obscure as Starcastle (and Styx for that matter) where I live and unike King Crimson I have never heard them played on the radio.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 18:15
In other words, you purposely break forum rules to get you little opinion out. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 18:16
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

I'm one of those people who don't consider Kansas to be prog at all.

You mean, "wrong?"  Wink

heheheheheheh Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 18:23
i know i couldn't care enough one way or the other to call someone an idiot over it.
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 19:33
Some of Kansas' songs are prog and some aren't.  But certainly 'Magnum Opus' from Leftoverture is. 
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 23:30

1) the anti-American bias that permeates this forum (yes, it's there, so don't even argue about it,

2) they actually sold albums (King Crimson never sold albums, therefore they must be great prog),

3) they were liked by non-prog listeners (a reason why Pink Floyd can't possibly be prog), and they were unfortunately lumped in with the corporate rock quagmire of the late 70s (StyxBostonForeignerREOSpeedwagonJourney, et al) that eventually destroyed rock as we knew it.

oh hell yeah. Well said.

As I stated previously, American bias. Congratulations on your clueless bigotry. Thanks for proving my point in such a classless manner.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 09 2015 at 23:32
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 10:58
Clap

oh hell yeah. Well said.

As I stated previously, American bias. Congratulations on your clueless bigotry. Thanks for proving my point in such a classless manner.

Clap Clap Clap

I rarely agree with The Dark Elf, but this time I can only applaud his last post

Iván

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 11:25
Yeah, music does not owe anything to AmericaWacko
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 12:58
Saperlipopette! I have been into King Crimson for over 30 years , I own almost everything they have done ! great band inconsistent but great... There's nowhere you have been that I haven't been progressively speaking , that's the difference I know what I`m talking about you just make sh*t up ...  Smile  by the way  Starcastle 's first two albums are great some of their counterpoint is some of the best I've ever heard perhaps even better than Yes  .. and Styx had some great albums as well if you bother to examine what you are spouting off about , which clearly is too hard for you to do .... 

Edited by Enchant X - February 10 2015 at 13:08
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 13:45
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

When I joined PA 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' were both in the Top 100 and 'Song for America' was bubbling a bit under.

Sure, I'd like to see those three as well as 'Masque' and 'Somewhere to Elsewhere', and even the reconstructed first Proto-Kaw in the Top 100.  But ultimately that's up to the 50,000+ global membership to decide with their reviews and ratings, and aside from Zappa and Miles Davis most American artists tend to be somewhat discounted by large portions of our membership.

Dream Theater still gets a fair amount of positive attention, along with the negative. They've got 2 comfortably in the top 100.

I just checked and it looks like Kayo Dot's debut album just nudged Kansas back out.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:05
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Looking at the Top 250, there are many albums that some might find surprising to be outside the Top 100 (for example "Songs From The Wood", "Phaedra", "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night", "Brain Salad Surgery" etc).
But obviously the Top 100 albums can only include one hundred albums, regardless of subgenre, decade, or where the band is from. 
There are over fortysix thousand albums listed on PA, so less than 0.25% of them can be in the Top 100 at any time.

ThisThumbs Up. Personally, I don't agree with many of the albums that are currently part of the Top 100, but that's democracy for youWink. Obviously, if ratings are taken into account, it is not surprising to see a non-prog album (though a masterpiece by every other name) such as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue rank very high in the Top 100. That being said, I don't think Leftoverture's inclusion in the Top 100 is any more puzzling than that of quite a few other albums.

I apparently missed this post and reply the first time around , but I agree with both Stool and Raff.
Having said that I do like Kansas but not sure if any of their albums should be in the 'top 100' or the .25% crowd.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

A N° 1 LP for a couple of weeks means almost nothing in the musical context.

Prog was never as popular as mainstream as some people want to make us believe, and the prove is this:

1974 was the most prolific year in Prog and this are the UK charts of 1974

01David EssexGonna Make You A Star
02The Three DegreesWhen Will I See You Again
03Charles AznavourShe
04George McCraeRock Your Baby
05Terry JacksSeasons In The Sun
06Paper LaceBilly, Don't Be A Hero
07MudTiger Feet
08The RubettesSugar Baby Love
09Ken BootheEverything I Own
10Carl DouglasKung Fu Fighting
11Barry WhiteYou're The First, The Last, My Everything
12John DenverAnnie's Song
13The OsmondsLove Me For A Reason
14Suzi QuatroDevil Gate Drive
15The DriftersKissin' In The Back Row
16AbbaWaterloo
17ShowaddywaddyHey Rock And Roll
18The New SeekersYou Won't Find Another Fool Like Me
19The StylisticsYou Make Me Feel Brand New
20The HolliesThe Air That I Breathe
21WomblesWombling Song
22Alvin StardustJealous Mind
23Ray StevensThe Streak
24SylviaY Viva Espana
25Charlie RichThe Most Beautiful Girl
26Donny & Marie OsmondI'm Leaving It All Up To You
27QueenKiller Queen
28WomblesRemember You're A Womble
29The SweetTeenage Rampage
30MudLonely This Christmas

So all the noise about cheesy Americans is absurd.

PS: I'm not from USA and most of the music I listen is from UK and Italy

You do realise that was the UK singles chart and indeed it was total pants as I well remember at the time ( well except The Wombles - they ruledLOL )
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 18:08
Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

When I joined PA 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' were both in the Top 100 and 'Song for America' was bubbling a bit under.

Sure, I'd like to see those three as well as 'Masque' and 'Somewhere to Elsewhere', and even the reconstructed first Proto-Kaw in the Top 100.  But ultimately that's up to the 50,000+ global membership to decide with their reviews and ratings, and aside from Zappa and Miles Davis most American artists tend to be somewhat discounted by large portions of our membership.

Dream Theater still gets a fair amount of positive attention, along with the negative. They've got 2 comfortably in the top 100.

I just checked and it looks like Kayo Dot's debut album just nudged Kansas back out.
You're sure?  I just checked and its still in the 100 spot with Kayo Dot just below, though I know there's a lot of shifting around in that 100 area.
Z
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 22:07
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Originally posted by Metalmarsh89 Metalmarsh89 wrote:

You're sure?  I just checked and its still in the 100 spot with Kayo Dot just below, though I know there's a lot of shifting around in that 100 area.

Must be shifting around. Perhaps people have gone to rate various albums they haven't rated already in that part of the spectrum one way or the other. LOL
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 23:53
I assure you Kansas output is very relevant  .. this thread comes about from Kansas being so underrated . Kansas themselves have given me plenty of prog happiness through the years, its something worth defending with extreme opposition if needs be , Kansas are not just another band , they come from a special planet where great bands come from , its sad for me to see so many people miss the opportunity of enjoying their music based solely on ignorance ... what are you afraid of  they might be better than what you hold so dear ... get a copy of Leftoverture and give it the three play rule if its not happening for you then at least you tried.  Smile

Edited by Enchant X - February 10 2015 at 23:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>