Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKansas in the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Does Kansas's Leftoverture album belong in the top 100?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [18.46%]
27 [41.54%]
3 [4.62%]
7 [10.77%]
16 [24.62%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas in the top 100
    Posted: February 07 2015 at 16:00
I just noticed that Kansas's Leftoverture has entered the PA top 100 for the first time that I can remember since being a member of PA.  As of typing this, it is sitting right at 100. 

Now I realize that the PA top 100 is based on multiple ratings by site members, but to answer the question, think of your top 100 prog albums and answer whether or not you personally think Leftoverture belongs there.  If not, do you think any of Kansas's albums should be in the top 100 best all-time prog albums?

Edited by zwordser - February 07 2015 at 16:16
Z
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 16:06
I didn't vote yet...have to think on this one. I am a fan of Kansas though and really like all the early ones up to and including Point of Know Return. I might prefer Song For America but still not sure about where they fit into the top 100.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 17:30
When I joined PA 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' were both in the Top 100 and 'Song for America' was bubbling a bit under.

Sure, I'd like to see those three as well as 'Masque' and 'Somewhere to Elsewhere', and even the reconstructed first Proto-Kaw in the Top 100.  But ultimately that's up to the 50,000+ global membership to decide with their reviews and ratings, and aside from Zappa and Miles Davis most American artists tend to be somewhat discounted by large portions of our membership.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 17:54
Option #4 for me.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:07
I want to say option 5, but, for the moment, I don't think I have enough prog records - let alone Kansas records - to make a final vote.

Maqsue was the first one I listened to and I think that was the best.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:16
Their best imo and certainly deserves to be in the top-100, perhaps along with Point of Know Return
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:25
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

When I joined PA 'Leftoverture' and 'Point of Know Return' were both in the Top 100 and 'Song for America' was bubbling a bit under.

Sure, I'd like to see those three as well as 'Masque' and 'Somewhere to Elsewhere', and even the reconstructed first Proto-Kaw in the Top 100.  But ultimately that's up to the 50,000+ global membership to decide with their reviews and ratings, and aside from Zappa and Miles Davis most American artists tend to be somewhat discounted by large portions of our membership.

Never tried the Proto-Kaw stuff, you would recommend it?
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:30
Kansas are easily one of the best prog rock bands ever !!! very few prog bands come close (listen to Magnum Opus, Cheyenne Anthem, Miracles out of Nowhere ...  etc ) ... top 100 is a complete insult and shows us how musically illiterate most people on prog archives really are.  One of the main reasons I don't visit this site that often is members tend to hold  crap up as God  and God up as crap , it gets a bit much in the end ... Ermm    Here is proof of my theory Voyage Of The Acolyte  98 ? anybody who knows anything about prog knows this Steve Hackett album is probably better than anything Genesis ever released or up there with their best ??? 98 ? its some kind of joke I`m telling you !  The top hundred list is  Kmart prog  .. the type of prog you find in Kmart its really not indicative of the true nature of things and how real prog heads feel ....  Kansas were 80% full progressive rock in the 70's Kansas also got voted Best AOR song of all time with Carry on wayward son .. which makes Kansas  head and shoulders above most bands on this site. The diversity of Kansas and their spirit is really what prog is all about , they simply  refused to conform with the Kmart fads , Don Kirshner loved that about them  ... All Hail - Livgren , Walsh , Steinhardt , Ehart , Williams , Hope or be trapped in your small world of Kmart prog forever !

and my last snide  remark .. Kansas eats Camel for dinner how Camel is above Kansas is staggering !  theres not a single strength Camel has on Kansas in any area ... its just really weird , Something against American prog is all I can put it down to, which is really silly.   Confused

Edited by Enchant X - February 08 2015 at 01:14
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:38
Last option. They've always felt prog-related to me.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 18:55
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Never tried the Proto-Kaw stuff, you would recommend it?

Definitely.

The back story for 'Early Recordings' alone should be enough to interest most prog fans.  These are mostly Livgren-penned songs written as far back as 1970 and originally recorded by an early Kansas lineup that predates any of current or former members besides Kerry.  There are a couple songs that were re-recorded by the more famous Kansas lineup.  'Before Came After' features completed or at least reworked bits and pieces of stuff from the early days, while 'The Wait of Glory' is comprised of new material and showcases a group of very mature musicians with a tight sound along the lines of Salem Hill, Crack the Sky, IQ.  I wasn't as impressed with 'Forth' but there were some issues with keeping the group together by that point given they all had day jobs and none of them were inclined to try and make a full-time go of it.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
bj_waters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 19:17
Still too new to vote, but I'd say it belongs, though I'd push for Point of Know Return being up higher.
infernalfrog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 19:24
If that Dream Theater crap is on the top 100, why not the good old Kansas?
Wakeman's Birotron View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2015 at 19:57
Song for America sure belongs in my top 100. Leftoverture is a close second, so it probably belongs there too.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 03:58
I voted for the bottom option. I like some Kansas albums but none are better than 4 stars for me. My favourite is probably the very late in the day Somewhere To Elsewhere.
A band that are much better in the live arena imo.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 04:01
Originally posted by infernalfrog infernalfrog wrote:

If that Dream Theater crap is on the top 100, why not the good old Kansas?

there are a lot of albums that should be in the top 100 that are not. Most obvious to me Rick Wakeman - Six Wives of Henry VIII , one of the best symphonic prog albums packed with tremendous memorable melodies outstanding playing and defined the use of keyboard in prog.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 04:46
I'm one of those people who don't consider Kansas to be prog at all.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 05:39
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Kansas are easily one of the best prog rock bands ever !!! very few prog bands come close (listen to Magnum Opus, Cheyenne Anthem, Miracles out of Nowhere ...  etc ) ... top 100 is a complete insult and shows us how musically illiterate most people on prog archives really are.  One of the main reasons I don't visit this site that often is members tend to hold  crap up as God  and God up as crap , it gets a bit much in the end ... Ermm    Here is proof of my theory Voyage Of The Acolyte  98 ? anybody who knows anything about prog knows this Steve Hackett album is probably better than anything Genesis ever released or up there with their best ??? 98 ? its some kind of joke I`m telling you !  The top hundred list is  Kmart prog  .. the type of prog you find in Kmart its really not indicative of the true nature of things and how real prog heads feel ....  Kansas were 80% full progressive rock in the 70's Kansas also got voted Best AOR song of all time with Carry on wayward son .. which makes Kansas  head and shoulders above most bands on this site. The diversity of Kansas and their spirit is really what prog is all about , they simply  refused to conform with the Kmart fads , Don Kirshner loved that about them  ... All Hail - Livgren , Walsh , Steinhardt , Ehart , Williams , Hope or be trapped in your small world of Kmart prog forever !

and my last snide  remark .. Kansas eats Camel for dinner how Camel is above Kansas is staggering !  theres not a single strength Camel has on Kansas in any area ... its just really weird , Something against American prog is all I can put it down to, which is really silly.   Confused

Oh look, the lesser spotted self righteous obnoxious tit, you don't see those very often anymore.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 06:19
Looking at the Top 250, there are many albums that some might find surprising to be outside the Top 100 (for example "Songs From The Wood", "Phaedra", "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night", "Brain Salad Surgery" etc).
But obviously the Top 100 albums can only include one hundred albums, regardless of subgenre, decade, or where the band is from. 
There are over fortysix thousand albums listed on PA, so less than 0.25% of them can be in the Top 100 at any time.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:10
Personally I don't care about the top anything. It's just a list. How many albums in the top 100 one really likes? Is there anybody who an say he enjoys the whole top 100?

I can't stand with #3, at least not the whole in one shot.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 07:22
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Looking at the Top 250, there are many albums that some might find surprising to be outside the Top 100 (for example "Songs From The Wood", "Phaedra", "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night", "Brain Salad Surgery" etc).
But obviously the Top 100 albums can only include one hundred albums, regardless of subgenre, decade, or where the band is from. 
There are over fortysix thousand albums listed on PA, so less than 0.25% of them can be in the Top 100 at any time.

ThisThumbs Up. Personally, I don't agree with many of the albums that are currently part of the Top 100, but that's democracy for youWink. Obviously, if ratings are taken into account, it is not surprising to see a non-prog album (though a masterpiece by every other name) such as Miles Davis' Kind of Blue rank very high in the Top 100. That being said, I don't think Leftoverture's inclusion in the Top 100 is any more puzzling than that of quite a few other albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>