Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRide vs. Built to Spill

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
2 [66.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ride vs. Built to Spill
    Posted: February 08 2015 at 13:28
Ride vs. Built to Spill

Ride was known for their clarity compared to other shoegaze bands– vocals upfront and unembellished, drums not hidden by walls of sound, all of which created a more relatable sound than other shoegaze bands at the time.

Representing the diverse and creatively explosive scene in Olympia, Washington that bore Unwound, Sleater-Kinney, Modest Mouse, Elliott Smith, and many more for whom I sadly couldn't find a spot in the polls, we have Built to Spill. With their deadly combo of pop melodicism and layered guitar work, they were probably the most influential band in the scene.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:00
Built to Spill, such an important band. And where the much more popular Modest Mouse get their sound from. Those early records man. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 14:53
^Yeah, early Modest Mouse is totally Built to Spill-influenced. I would also definitely recommend checking out the rest of the Olympia scene. Unwound is my personal favorite.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 20:18
Showed some love to Ride. Nowhere is one of the pinnacles of shoegaze. Do love me some Built To Spill even more, though.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 12:26
I've got a pretty weak foundation of shoegaze knowledge, as it happens.  I generally like what I've heard, but some day I need to explore it in more depth.

I'm a Built to Spill fan, so I gave them my vote.  Just listened to one of their albums this past weekend in fact.  One thing about them that troubles me, though.  Am I the only one who thinks their last album "There is No Enemy" was incredibly dull and disappointing?  Their prior album (which came after a similarly long hiatus) was so good, I didn't think they had it in them to do a cruddy album this late in their career.  At the very worst, I thought it would be predictable.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 13:01
I've not listened to their last album myself. I know they've announced a new one, though. What seems to happen with these older bands is that they go on long tours and get burnt out and don't really have time or motivation anymore to keep up with music and discover new (or old) artists. Most touring musicians can tell you how few shows and records they actually listen to compared to what they used to listen to. Even when they have time to go to shows, going to them feels like going to work. Bad albums by great artists are usually just fueled by a lack of proper inspiration.
 Post Reply Post Reply