Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStationary Traveller: Camel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stationary Traveller: Camel
    Posted: February 09 2015 at 15:23
Rather neglected in Camel's discography I guess. I really fell in love with this album. Even though there's little Prog on it. But it's just beautiful...

What are your thoughts? Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 17:00
Dear Firestorm, I agree wholeheartedly with you, Stationary Traveller is perhaps my favorite Camel album, mainly due to the subject matter as I have always held a morbid fascination for the GDR, a Utopian prison that made fellow communist countries like Poland and Hungary look like US states in comparison! 1 citizen in 6 worked directly or indirectly for the Stasi (State Security), so the music was appropriately bleak, cold and muffled, a series of traits that Latimer stressed brilliantly and blatantly. Many fans just did not get it!   
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 22:34
Definitely a very good album. Even in it's weaker spots, Andy Latimar's playing ALWAYS shines through. `Fingertips' is just beautiful!

In my little opinion, even `The Single Factor' before it isn't the unlistenable dud that it's sometimes made out to be. Lightweight, perhaps, but certainly not outright bad, and like on `Statinary', Latimar's playing shines wonderfully.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 02:01
It's a good album. Not one of my favorites, but it definitely has its qualities.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 08:15
Apart from "Fingertips" and "Long Goodbyes" ...it really doesn't sound commercial to me. Stylistically it presents itself as a much darker album than Single Factor or I Can See Your House From Here. "West Berlin" contains a basic 4/4 time signature, but is more in the vain of some of the darker Alan Parsons material. You can basically compare until you are blue in the face and arrive nowhere. The album is not about comparing unless everyone sees it as a weak attempt at commercial mainstream writing. Stationary Traveller has it's own personality.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 12:24
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Dear Firestorm, I agree wholeheartedly with you, Stationary Traveller is perhaps my favorite Camel album, mainly due to the subject matter as I have always held a morbid fascination for the GDR, a Utopian prison that made fellow communist countries like Poland and Hungary look like US states in comparison! 1 citizen in 6 worked directly or indirectly for the Stasi (State Security), so the music was appropriately bleak, cold and muffled, a series of traits that Latimer stressed brilliantly and blatantly. Many fans just did not get it!   

Thumbs Up

My favourite songs are Refugee and West Berlin.

And I'm looking out over West Berlin
Feeling freer now than I've ever been...

"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:20
I purchased it on the back of the hearing Cloak and Dagger Man and also after recently discovering that Ton Scherpenzeel (such an underrated keyboardist imo) was on it.  I'm struggling with the rest of the album although will persevere.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 22:02
Throughout Stationary Traveller...there is a keyboard setting which emulates the sound of an accordian. The first time I heard the album in 84'..It seemed to create the vibe of a film. It was song oriented, but the music meant more than just one song flowing into another. Some of the instrumental pieces could actually be themes ....although it is not specified that they are. I used to listen to it in the car and the songs seemed more fitting during road travel. I enjoyed the listening experience a bit more when mobile and it made me dream of places/countries I wanted to visit in Europe. Something was quite different about Stationary Traveller aside from just being a collection of songs.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 01:21
^That will be the 'Scherpenzeel effect' thenSmile

Fans of this album might like some of Kayak's stuff perhaps. Ton was the Dutch equivalent of Tony Banks as a skilled writer and arranger although I'm not sure that Camel really got the best out of him.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 04:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Fans of this album might like some of Kayak's stuff perhaps. Ton was the Dutch equivalent of Tony Banks as a skilled writer and arranger although I'm not sure that Camel really got the best out of him.

Ton Scherpenzeel is a very skilled writer. Although Kayak have sometimes ventured into a commercial vain of writing, their progressive side is unique and worth taking a chance on. I have the original recording of Merlin which is on cd and imported from Holland. The first 5 tracks are magnificent! It's a little over the length of the average EP.

On another note, Stationary Traveller is well suited for a listen when travelling by train. You know that. It's sort of in sync with Pulsar's Gorlitz. In that sense it is quite isolated from the overall affect their other albums have on me.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 10:00
Andrew Latimer's individuality as a writer grew and developed to more sophisticated levels...after the final departure of Peter Bardens. By the time Rain Dances had been released, it was obvious that Andrew Latimer was, as a guitarist, venturing into a Jazz Rock mentality of playing regarding the growth and overall change of his phrasings ....which the difference in his playing when compared to Mirage and The Snow Goose was more than enough evidence to back up the theory that he had not only progressed as a guitarist, but was changing his style.

Then came BREATHLESS and his playing was more progressive than Rain Dances, but still holding on to a Jazz Rock flow within the improvisation itself. Then Andrew Latimer began working with Kit Watkins which was a very high step to take in the area of Jazz Rock. Even though Kit Watkins was a Classical pianist, he was an amazing impeccable Jazz pianist and for a while I had personally thought Camel might turn into Brand X.....no..no..no.. I Can See Your House From Here was extremely sugar coated and I'm sure that Phil Spector would understand the science of this formula. The idea to create a new style of music is based on a new discovery of a formula. If it were commercially viable, it could still contain sophisticated playing on an instrument. The playing of instruments on I Can See Your House From Here is outstanding, but some of the more hokey sounding songs give off the impression that they were trying something that they didn't necessarily need to try. It felt as if they were attempting to be commercial sounding, but it wasn't in their heart to follow that path.

When Nude was released ...it was obvious that Andrew Latimer was now a fully developed writer venturing into the areas of being more epic than Jazz Fusion. He still played fantastic guitar solos, but developed Camel's music further with ambition and the gas pedal to the floor. The Single Factor featured several interesting tracks with lyrical concept meanings. Stationary Traveller was more stylistically based on storytelling within the lyrics. The voices are very clear and distinctive. Some of the songs that have more of a "4/4 Rock Beat" than an odd time signature in Progressive Rock tell stories and are crystal clear to the ear as they are in opera or "Rock Opera". In the Rock Opera Tommy..Pete Townshend's voice is crystal clear and surrounded by a clarity that is often the most vital fore-front to the presentation to vocalists and actors in a play. Characteristically...Stationary Traveller applies these practices and I get the impression that Andrew Latimer had expanded his writing abilities to new levels.    

Edited by TODDLER - February 11 2015 at 10:04
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:34
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Ton Scherpenzeel is a very skilled writer. Although Kayak have sometimes ventured into a commercial vain of writing, their progressive side is unique and worth taking a chance on. I have the original recording of Merlin which is on cd and imported from Holland. The first 5 tracks are magnificent! It's a little over the length of the average EP.

On another note, Stationary Traveller is well suited for a listen when travelling by train. You know that. It's sort of in sync with Pulsar's Gorlitz. In that sense it is quite isolated from the overall affect their other albums have on me.

The original Merlin is okay although the later re- recorded and extended version is much better imo. There is also an excellent DVD to accompany although would now be very hard to get I expect.

I love listening to my I-pod on the train although due to space constraints I only have 3 of the classic 70's Camel albums on it so I can't test this unfortunately ( and I have also ditched the awful I-Tunes software so can't change the selection). I might try the CD in the car instead, sometimes a good way to break in albums.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 18:30
I may be Camel's most devoted fan, but I really didn't rate Stationary Traveller for a long time.

But finally, everything clicked. Fingertips is one of their finest songs and there isn't much that's less than good on it. And I think it's very prog.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 19:41

The original Merlin is okay although the later re- recorded and extended version is much better imo. There is also an excellent DVD to accompany although would now be very hard to get I expect.

I love listening to my I-pod on the train although due to space constraints I only have 3 of the classic 70's Camel albums on it so I can't test this unfortunately ( and I have also ditched the awful I-Tunes software so can't change the selection). I might try the CD in the car instead, sometimes a good way to break in albums.

When I heard the studio remake of Merlin..I was disappointed in the vocals. I don't believe I was hearing the vocalist chosen for the first Merlin and I disregarded it for that reason.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 02:02

When I heard the studio remake of Merlin..I was disappointed in the vocals. I don't believe I was hearing the vocalist chosen for the first Merlin and I disregarded it for that reason.

OK, although I don't have any problem with the vocals there personally.
 Post Reply Post Reply