Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Future Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFuture Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Germany
    Posted: February 10 2015 at 14:41
Future Days: Krautrock and the Building Of Modern Germany by David Stubbs.
With the recent passing of the great Edgar Froese, this exhaustive and definitive book recording the birth, growth and flowering of one of Progressive Rock's most stellar genres could not have come at a more appropriate time. While not centering expressly on Froese (fear not as an entire chapter is dedicated to Tangerine Dream), the nucleus of the Krautrock genre goes hand in hand with the post social and cultural thoughts and reactions of the German musicians as well as exploring how the post war zeitgeist fed into the music itself. Just a few of the bands that are featured in this exhaustive study include chapters on Amon Duul, Can, Neu!, Faust, Kraftwork and, as I've already stated, Tangerine Dream.

This is a thought provoking work as well as being scholarly and well researched. I simply cannot recommend this book enough to both casual and serious fans of German electronic music. 5/5 stars. 

Edited by SteveG - February 13 2015 at 11:32
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 09:26
Hi,

Just found it on Amazon ... thanks ... on it.

Within a month we will likely see a book or two on Edgar Froese, I am willing to bet!

The only thing that is weird is how silent the music folks in Germany are, other than a few words here and there. Manuel Gottsching is the only one that has done anything significant and neat!

Edited by moshkito - February 12 2015 at 09:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 09:32
Mosho:

you wants the Greek's book on Krautrock.

Lotta piccies.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 03:10
This is just me folks, so I beg your pardon... but... from January 27th, 1974 on till 2000 plus, I had the pleasure of introducing to commercial radio many artists from Germany.  NEVER in any of those broadcasts did I refer to this genre of music as Krautrock.  I found the term a cheap and demeaning way of categorizing a foreign style of music to less perceptive Western buyers. 

Otherwise PFM, Banco and Le Orme should be Woprock, Yellow Magic Orchestra and Acid Mothers Temple Niprock, all British bands Limeyrock or Limerock for 2 sylla ballet dancers, etc. etc.

:)X.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 04:28
Hence why I refer to that movement as "Kosmische Musik", which is what the Teutons themselves call it.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:47
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Otherwise PFM, Banco and Le Orme should be Woprock, Yellow Magic Orchestra and Acid Mothers Temple Niprock, all British bands Limeyrock or Limerock for 2 sylla ballet dancers, etc. etc.

:)X.

Shhhhhhhhhhh Guy ... psssssstttt ..... if you mention a country here on PA, they will immediately say it's not "progressive". If you use a nickname, they will discuss it as "progressive".  Shhhhhh!!!!! Funny, I never called Herzog, Weiss, Wenders or Handke ... krautfilm ... either! or krauttheater! Or Banco and Ange will never be progressive because they don't use "english"!

Edited by moshkito - February 13 2015 at 11:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 12:45
I don't care for the name and never use it to describe the style of music.
I have many albums by several 70s German bands and list them regularly on 
the what are you listening to thread. I've never used the name in the comments
I post with the album cover.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 12:50
^If I wrote the book I would have called it Post War Teutonic Rock Groupen Music.

But it wasn't up to me.

And for the record, PA designates this genre as K****rock.

Edited by SteveG - February 13 2015 at 13:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 13:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^If I wrote the book I would have called it Post War Teutonic Rock Groupen Music.

But it wasn't up to me.

And for the record, PA designates this genre as K****rock.
I hear what you're saying, you didn't make up the name.  Big smile
I see it used all over the music related sites on the internet and I have no real problem with
it, I just never got into the habit of using it.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 13:51
Most German musicians including the ones who were there at the very beginning have absolutely no quarrels with the name. Most fans of the style, including the native speakers, feel similarly - at least the ones I've spoken to.
Then again, if you're from an older generation I can see how this issue can be somewhat disrespectful. I remember talking to my dad about an area of town we lived in when I was a small kid. The newspapers called it a 'ghetto' as most other folks visiting the place would. My dad got furious because he knows the word from WWII - not having a clue as to how the word has evolved over time.
Krautrock may have started out as a derogatory term, but it has since then turned into quite the opposite.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 14:54
SteveG wrote 
This is a thought provoking work as well as being scholarly and well researched. I simply cannot recommend this book enough to both casual and serious fans of German electronic music. 5/5 stars. 
[/QUOTE]
I guess we got off on a name thing.
Back to the book. Is it specifically about electronic music or does it discuss other styles like Birth Control, Gift,
Guru Guru, etc?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 15:44
^Yes indeed. Even if these groups are not prominently featured, they certainly get coverage.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Most German musicians including the ones who were there at the very beginning have absolutely no quarrels with the name. Most fans of the style, including the native speakers, feel similarly - at least the ones I've spoken to.
Then again, if you're from an older generation I can see how this issue can be somewhat disrespectful. I remember talking to my dad about an area of town we lived in when I was a small kid. The newspapers called it a 'ghetto' as most other folks visiting the place would. My dad got furious because he knows the word from WWII - not having a clue as to how the word has evolved over time.
Krautrock may have started out as a derogatory term, but it has since then turned into quite the opposite.
Thanks for that clarification, David. I was starting to feel politically incorrect instead of generally incorrect. LOL
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 20:58
That's interesting Guldbamsen, because my experience has been the exact opposite.  In the '70s up to 1982, when I was in Munich obtaining footage of German musicians for SPACE PIRATE VIDEO, everyone in the music business HATED the term.  Record label owners, producers, members of Amon Duul, they loathed the English
importers slapping those "Krautrock" labels on the records.  You may be right about the Old School feeling,
however.  It is a term, based on a WW2 stereotype, of a defeated, inferior enemy nation.  Unfair to many.

Like Werner Herzog said, "We are a nation without Fathers.  Only Grandfathers."

So put away those labels for Ange and Magma and Heldon that say Frogrock.  :)X.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 10:00
^In all fairness to David, I'm quite a bit older have some mental stigma attached to the word, but it has been in use for years in many media and magazine publications without any serious backlash that I know of.

I respect your feelings on this matter, but I doubt that any who loves German electronic rock would use the term Krautrock  with any malicious intent. Should the term it be avoided if possible? I think so, but the part about it being possible will be very difficult until the term becomes outdated in worldwide media sites, books, magazines and other publications.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 10:15
I do think it's a generational thing. Like I mentioned earlier, I have quite a few German friends (old and young) who are into the style, and they tend to use Krautrock much like people use the word prog. I very much doubt whether anyone in this day and age instantly thinks of WWII whenever they come across the expression. Maybe if they just caught Saving Private Ryan on the tubeTongue 
Heck, if anything, there seems to be a lot of upcoming bands who think of 'Krautrock' as a badge of honour (just like many on here think of 'Prog', which is rather futile). There are soooo many bands (pop, rock and even those new tricky Folktronica outfits) who employ the motorik groove of yesteryear, slap on some cold 70s synths and wham bam thank you mam: you've got some Krautrock! (or so they think)
Yeah....not really....but it is a highly sought out sticker, which then becomes just a sticker.....and that is definitely not what the music is and was about. 

Anyway, let's get your thread back on track Steve. I wish I had more time for reading, but when I finally find a little peace and quiet, I tend to reach for Kerouac, Hesse or Huxley instead. Maybe I need to get out moreLOL

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 10:23
^Yes, in truth I know many younger people who use the term without any bad intent. It's simply become part of the rock music lexicon.

Now, let's get back to this wonderful book! LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 10:35
I see Birth Control is mentioned in the book, Steve. That is a bit of a surprise for me actually as I've never thought of them as being part of that scene - other than they're from Germany. Hard rock with progressive leanings sure, but there's a distinct deficit of the kosmische and unfathomable that I have come to adore and associate with Krautrock. No improvs and crazy sh*t that slings you out in the furthest part of the perimeter. Jane, Lucifer's Friend, King Ping Meh, Hölderlin and the likes often get mentioned in the same breath as ADII, Can and NEU!, but to my ears neither of these bands came close to what I'd call Krautrock. I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: is this a book on the German music scene during the 70s or does it deal with the Krautrock scene proper?

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2015 at 11:10
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Like Werner Herzog said, "We are a nation without Fathers.  Only Grandfathers."

And Edgar Froese said something similar on that BBC special.
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 12:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I see Birth Control is mentioned in the book, Steve. That is a bit of a surprise for me actually as I've never thought of them as being part of that scene - other than they're from Germany. Hard rock with progressive leanings sure, but there's a distinct deficit of the kosmische and unfathomable that I have come to adore and associate with Krautrock. No improvs and crazy sh*t that slings you out in the furthest part of the perimeter. Jane, Lucifer's Friend, King Ping Meh, Hölderlin and the likes often get mentioned in the same breath as ADII, Can and NEU!, but to my ears neither of these bands came close to what I'd call Krautrock. I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: is this a book on the German music scene during the 70s or does it deal with the Krautrock scene proper?
Sorry, I couldn't get back to you sooner, David. The book is indeed about the development of 70's era krautrock and dotes on the bands that have had the greatest impact on the German music scene at that time. The book title is defiantly a misnomer and it was an oversight on my part not to clarify this as I had every intention of bringing that up in a later post. Unfortunately, I had gotten sidetracked with another issue ;).  My apologies.

Edited by SteveG - February 15 2015 at 15:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>