Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHaxan: Art Zoyd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haxan: Art Zoyd
    Posted: February 15 2015 at 18:10
One of the band's several soundtrack projects, but by far the best. In particular, excellent electronics and brutal percussion work figure.

What's your take on the current #4 avant-prog album?
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 18:33
A neat album but not the one I would listen often. Quite overrated (my fav Art Zoyd LP is surely Berlin), but the soft ending track, Marche, is one of the most beautiful pieces in Art Zoyd dicography.

Shamefully, it's the final Art Zoyd album I appreciate. After Thierry Zaboitzeff left the band, their music have decreased in every possible way, even although it became more 'academic'.
This night wounds time.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 20:05
It's my favourite Art Zoyd album.  Daniel Denis from Univers Zero is quite prominant on this one and it continues down the same road with the upfront electronic sound with lots of percussion and there's samples too.  As ole-the-first mentions, after Thierry left, the band is not quite the same(obviously) but I would point to one album post Zaboitzeff that I have come to appreciate and that's "Metropolis", although with two discs of about 75 minutes on both it's a major listen with a samey vibe throughout. Still I have really grown to enjoy it.
Haxan really surprised me as it was the latest one from them I got and I wasn't expecting it to surpass some of their earlier ones i'm so into.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2015 at 20:35
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

After Thierry Zaboitzeff left the band, their music have decreased in every possible way, even although it became more 'academic'.

I agree with this. Their music also got even more electronic afterwards (even though Zab's stuff is heavily electronic as well). I've always found the 30 minute or so piece to kind of drag on in spots but otherwise it's certainly one of their better post-'80s albums.
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply