Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJethro Tull - The rock opera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull - The rock opera
    Posted: February 16 2015 at 15:31

Ian Anderson celebrates the life and times of the English Agricultural inventor, Jethro Tull, with the announcement of a new series of concert tours beginning September 2015.

The shows tell the story of the original Jethro Tull’s life, reimagined as if in the near future and illustrated with Anderson’s best-known songs from the rock band Jethro Tull’s repertoire.

The performance is in a quasi-operatic structure with virtual guests on video and some additional newly-written songs to round off the elements of the story. Heavy Horses, Farm On The Freeway, Songs From The Wood sit alongside Aqualung, Living In The Past, Wind-Up, A New Day Yesterday, The Witch’s Promise, Locomotive Breath and other favourites – often with slightly re-written lyrics to better tell the tale.

Accompanied by David Goodier (bass), John O'Hara (keyboards), Florian Opahle (guitar), Scott Hammond (drums) and surprise virtual guests, Ian Anderson begins the touring schedule in the UK followed by Russian, European and South American dates before the end of the year.

Tour dates to be confirmed soon!

rotten hound of the burnie crew
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 16:55
Interesting.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 20:32
kill me now....

don't get me wrong, i listen to a jethro tull album at least once a day, my favorite band of all time...but, i find that i have to pretend that they all died in a horrible submarine accident in 1985 in order to feel ok about the universe. (thats right, i'll keep the window open to include Under Wraps, just to show you that i'm not close-minded).  this is beyond the pale, once again.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 21:22
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

kill me now....

don't get me wrong, i listen to a jethro tull album at least once a day, my favorite band of all time...but, i find that i have to pretend that they all died in a horrible submarine accident in 1985 in order to feel ok about the universe. (thats right, i'll keep the window open to include Under Wraps, just to show you that i'm not close-minded).  this is beyond the pale, once again.
Ian's voice is completely shot. He sounds dreadful singing anything pre-1983 (and yes, I am excluding Under Wraps because I can't stand it -- close-mindedness be damned! LOL).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 22:36
Sadly, I have to agree. I heard Crest Of A Knave once and figured as long as he was channeling Mark Knopfler (or a happy elf in the case of "Mayhem, Maybe"), he was reasonably fine. I can't imagine him being able to sing a good chunk of the old chestnuts with his current range. 
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 07:43
I know Ian's voice doesn't cut the mustard any more, but I still enjoyed the Thick as a Brick tour.   Ian is almost 70 years old.  
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 12:53
I find the Crest and Roots albums really great, the Rock Island album almost great, and almost all Anderson solo albums also great, despite his vocal decadence, so I won't go all negative about what Jethro Tull had been doing from 1985 onwards. Additionally, their concerts were really awesome, so a negative stance would be totally uncalled for.

That being said, I'd rather have Ian Anderson write new material for this rock-opera instead of changing words and verses from his older compositions. I mean, the lyrics to Songs From The Wood, Wind Up, The Wich's Promise and Heavy Horses are perfect... why would anyone want to modify them even if it is slightly?

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 12:20
About time Anderson gave credit where credit is due!  The original JTs innovations may seem simple to us now, especially in our digitally driven world, but they were quite significant at the time and we are still benefitting from their long term effects.  I am very curious to see how this turns out.  Perhaps Master A will be modifying the old tunes to match his current limitations.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 12:58
I just listened the Rock Opera yesterday in Saint-Petersurg, Russia. Yes, Ian has a problem with his voice. But he decided this problem with elegancy. It was a great show, greatest in my life.

Edited by charles_ryder - September 20 2015 at 13:00
om mani padme hum
 Post Reply Post Reply